Battlestar Galactica

“No more Mr. Nice Gaius!”

Downloaded the new Shareaza and the problem vanished. No more last 5% slowdown!

Yeah, another quality episode… Gaius was brilliant, he ran a whole gauntlet of emotions through that episode. And what about the bit with 6 and Adama? That fella has a will of iron.

And perfectly in character - stoically letting her get on with her vamping, and then immediately calling Security when she vanishes…

I loved the episode, I’d rank it as #2 so far (behind 33 Minutes), but I have a question. When we saw Tigh in the miniseries, he was at one point sitting in his bunk taking a cigar to a picture of himself and his ex-wife. At the time, I thought she was a Six clone. Was she or wasn’t she? If she was, it would be a neat plot point, but it wouldn’t make sense given that they had a Six clone in the CiC without so much as a blink from Tigh.

Pictures from the upcoming episode with Tigh’s wife are available here.

Everyone talks about Olmos as Adama, but Michael Hogan needs to get just as much credit for a Col. Tigh that completely kicks the ass of the original.

He’s also excellent - he just hasn’t had that much to actually do yet.

He’s had almost as much screen time as Olmos, and has been involved in almost as many important scenes.

The order to space the sections of the ship on fire to save the whole in the miniseries, letting the President in on Adama’s son’s death and why they were obsessing over Starbuck, telling Boomer she needs to keep it in her pants in regards to the Chief, getting Starbuck out of bed, getting her put in the brig back in the mini, etc, etc.

Adama is The Man, but so is Tigh, baby.

Great episode. I’ll always miss John Colicos, but this Baltar is a much more rounded character…even if it’s a little over the top how easily Six is leading him around by his dick.

Spoliery stuff follows…

So, who’s God? During that opening monologue in this week’s episode, Six was speaking as if she definitely knew of the existence of God, as if she had actually met the creator. At first, all the Cylon God talk seemed sort of philosophical. Now, though, it’s very real, as if the Cylons have a single individual that they worship as God. Maybe a human is responsible for their recent evolution? Perhaps an cybernetically augmented human, who has created Six and the other human-like Cylons in his or her image? He or she began as human, his creations began as machine, but both have ended up in the same place?

I’m also starting to wonder if Six’s toying with Baltar is meant to exactly mirror what the Cylons are doing to humanity. Maybe the Cylons are putting humanity through this hell so that they can “save” them in the end? This “they have a plan” stuff is getting more and more interesting every week, although it’s still impossible to get an idea of where the series creators are going with the whole idea.

I mean he hasn’t really had any plots to himself - he’s firmly being doing his job as the XO, while the other main characters have each had at least one episode just on them.

Oh, well, in that case, he’s got one coming up. ;)

There has always been an Imperious Leader of the Cylons. According to the video game, which I guess is supposed to be a prequel to this series, there was an Imperious Leader in charge of the original Cylons. Who really knows, though.

I’m trying to puzzle this one out too, without falling into some analog of alcohol-inspired philosophy. One of Adama’s themes has been that you have to pay for what you’ve done- you’re called to account for your sins, as it were. What sins has humanity incurred vis-a-vis the Cylons? We didn’t abandon them- I got the impression they abandoned us. We didn’t send them off to die in a war, as I’ve seen no evidence of external (or even internal) conflict.

Maybe the Cylons don’t like having an imperfect creator(s). Maybe the concept that people as bumbling and flawed as Baltar could create them just drives them nuts, so they envision God as a flawless being bigger than them, bigger than humanity. If this is true, how can a race that’s said “God is love” go forth and kill billions?

Paralleling this is humanity’s own religion. The original series was rife with symbolism of the twelve Israelite tribes wandering the desert. The new one isn’t that bad yet, but they’ve kept the twelve Lords of Kobol. I don’t remember any reference to a higher power, so humanity seems to be polytheistic, a huge contradiction with the Cylons’ monotheistic zealotry.

There’s a lot of speculation in there- I hope the series is going for something deeper than “Religious extremism is bad!”. I have no idea where the Helo plot is going, though he seems to be some kind of litmus test for humanity as a whole. Rather putting the cart before the horse, given that the Cylons have already passed judgement on humanity.

I’m not particularly afraid of the human-like Cylons, as they seem to have serious problems keeping their pants on. Six’s almost constant screwing (physically, not mentally) of Baltar is an obvious control mechanism, but it takes two to be enthusiastic about it. Notice how she also came onto Adama in episode 7. Boomer- regardless of self-consciousness- is quite busy also. Maybe we just have to sleep with them to make them go away.

I do love the religous overtones, though- it really makes you curious about motivation and action.

Edited because I kept spelling “Adama” as “Adam”, which make the thing slightly confusing in the Biblical sense.

There has always been an Imperious Leader of the Cylons. According to the video game, which I guess is supposed to be a prequel to this series, there was an Imperious Leader in charge of the original Cylons. Who really knows, though.[/quote]

I know. I remember the Imperious Leader from the original series. But call me crazy, I don’t think the new series’ Cylons is going to be led by some shadowy purple guy with a head like a light-bulb. Also, “Imperious Leader” is one ludicrous title. I hear it and I always think of Groucho Marx in Duck Soup.

“Hail, Hail Freedonia!”

Well, “Imperious Leader” is the kind of title that comes from a show where Baltar’s Cylon assistant was one of the brain-androids by the name of “Lucifer” and voiced by Lost in Space’s Dr. Smith (Johnathan Harris).

Yeah, I really hope that’s not all they’re referring to. I want their idea of “God” to be much grander than we realize.

But one of the things I did think was neat was the heirarchical structure of the Cylon Empire in the original series. I’m curious to see how that fits in this series, if it does at all.

At least our dorky conversation about the series isn’t going like this one.

In the recent video game, this is the Imperious Leader.

A step up from the original Imperious Leader, to say the least.