Battlestar Galactica

Yeah, but its not exactly the same thing as what Brett’s saying.

He’s suggesting that the original series be a previous incarnation of the prophecy.

What they actually did was take components from the original series and tossed them in. If the BSG video game is to be canonical (and I see no reason for it not to be), the Cylon empire of old that were fought some years before the new series was comprised of the old caste system that existed in the original series, as well as the old space craft.

I’m sure there’s a much better way to explain it.

Its kind of disheartening to find out that even our distant, 12 colonial brethren are subjected to partisan pandering and talking head punditry.

But the latest episode was really good. Not only was the political stuff incredibly entertaining, but so was the ending.

Spoiler stuff:

Perhaps Baltar’s Vice Presidency is a really interesting setup. I’m trying to see if its a first step for his role to get away from the scientist to an eventual leader of the Cylons as he was in the original series. Though I imagine any setup for that would take a couple of seasons, if the current pace of the show is anything to go by.

The Helo plot took a very unexpected turn with him spotting another Boomer on Caprica. It could go any way between him and the Boomer he’s been hanging out with, as she didn’t hesitate to shoot herself.

Only two episodes left in the season – a 2-parter involving the Galactica finding the Kobol homeworld.

Super spoiler:
Katee Sackhoff is a serious hottie.

I was a bit gutted about the patheticness of the political people as well, but that’s human nature I guess.

Helo’s plot has taken a MAJOR leap forward - God (whichever one you want to believe in) only knows how he’s going to react now. Awesome stuff. It was pretty sweet how he worked out the whole “she’s a Cylon” bit before seeing the second (third?) Boomer, it made the impact of seeing her even more gut wrenching for him.

Two more episodes? Dammit, I think I might go and cry. This show is to good to stop like this.

Oh, and another nice performance from Richard Hatch.

Yeah…what the hell is that about, anyway? Richard Hatch has always been a terrible actor, but he’s been incredibly restrained and subtle in the new BG. He’s even somewhat menacing, which is amazing because the guy’s always seemed pretty naive and boy-scoutish in what I’ve seen of him before. Although I haven’t seen him in anything since the 80s, so maybe he’s been doing Strasberg or something.

And that previous incarnation of the prophect is exactly what I’m talking. If Six is right with here “it’s all happened before” comment, a couple of throwaway lines could make the 70s show part of the overall BG canon without any actual tie-ins between the shows at all. You could make almost everybody happy with that, as you wouldn’t be messing with the original show and you’d be throwing a bone to the diehard fans of the 70s show. The whole idea of humanity being stuck in a self-destructive loop is pretty nifty, too, because it adds more depth to the search for Earth and keeps the overarching plot of the new show from being a mirror of the original.

They had better renew for a second season. A couple months and 14 episodes hardly seems like a whole season to me =(

If Stargate ****ing Atlantis, the most pointless sci-fi spinoff ever, got a second season, BSG had damn well better…

I like Atlantis… :cry: I’m a sucker for crappy sci-fi TV shows though. I even watched Enterprise until this season.

I enjoyed that episode a lot.

Colonel Tigh is a freaking dupe. His wife is a bad, bad person.

The “last opinon journalists left alive!” info was great. I could just see like Tucker Carlson and Paul Begala doing the exact same thing everyone on Earth save for a few was killed.

I might like Atlantis more if the fabled Lost City wasn’t just a military base with silly walls, if the big enemy wasn’t…(pause for dramatic bellow)…THE PLANET OF THE GOTHS! and if one of the only characters with any charisma at all is the only one they don’t bother putting into the credits.

Also, if it was good.

He’s got a very Tom Skerritt quality to him, now that he’s aged a bit. He looks like he could potentially play a really good guy, but its clear he also wants to be a badass.

As for Atlantis, don’t give up on it just yet. The second season is said to be fairly different from the first

Who? The Czech?

Nah, the doctor - Carson. The only one on the team that really captures the whole ‘lost in the deepest of shit’ vibe. Most of the main cast - Sheppard, Weir, Teyla (oh, by GOD, Teyla) and co are just really, really dull.

Well that was good. Once again, everyone look like they’re going off the rails. President is going prophecy happy, Lee is being a total ass, Adama’s being called on his bullshit, Baltar’s melting down, Boomer’s suicidal, and Starbuck’s lost all trust .

I’m anxious to see how they’re going to wrap this up.

And I had to fire up the irc client to get the torrent for this one.

Did I mention that I love this show? That said, I do hope that THE ESSENTIAL SECOND SERIES doesn’t have Roislin turning into the humans’ Six with the whole prophecy angle.

As long as she doesn’t turn into an updated version of Galactica 1980’s Dr. Z, I’ll be happy.

Worst…Cliffhanger…[size=7]EVAR!!![/size]

Can’t wait for next week.

What, exactly, was Baltar trying to accomplish with Boomer? It didn’t really seem like he was trying to talk her into killing herself, though he didn’t seem surprised when he heard the gunshot, either. He knows she’s a Cylon, but he’s made it clear that he doesn’t really care, as long as he’s not directly affected.

I thought he was terrified of her, believing she’d rip his throat out if she realised he knew what she was.

Great episode. Can’t wait till next week, either. But I’ve read an interview with Moore that says the season ends on a cliffhanger, so, uh, damn. I hate season-ending cliffhangers. Especially when it isn’t guaranteed that the show’s going to be renewed…

Supposedly, SciFi/SkyOne ordered six more scripts to be written, though there’s no official announcement of another season.

I imagine that if SciFi decides it doesn’t want the show after this, they’ll at least be able to tie it up with a mini series or movie or something. That’s not going to happen though. This is going to be the best show ever for them.

Assuming this does well in the States, this show is going to be an amazing cash cow and they’ll milk it dry. This “series finale” is just the English version of a Season… it has to be.