Battlestar Galactica

That’s probably why the scripts were ordered but not produced, so that the network execs could look through them and chop out all of the expensive bits to keep the budget down. Even if the series were cancelled, unlikely as that is, we’d probably get another mini-series at the very least to wrap things up, ala Farscape.

Anyway, I think as a whole this was the best single season of a sci-fi series in a long, long time.

True, although USA Network did that for the second season of The Dead Zone, so it’s possible.

The show has been doing very well in the ratings, garnering 3 million viewers for each episode. In fact, last Friday, BSG at 10pm beat out both of Sci-Fi’s flagship Stargate series from the two hours previous.

The writing is on the wall, folks. A second season is a virtual lock.

Yeah I just read the 3.1 million viewers figure… it seems there are six episodes, waiting for approval, which will probably in February, according to Ron Moore.

— Alan

If I had to guess, I’d say SciFi is pussy-footing because of the cost. They know that if they make a bad decision with this show, they’re going to have wrath worse than the FarScape cancellation to deal with.

If they’d stop sinking the few mil. it costs to produce those stupid ass horror flicks they show late nights and weekends, cost wouldn’t be an issue.

I haven’t actually watched a single episode yet. I should I know Any word if NBC is going to reair the regular season in the summer? If so, any world if it will be HiDef?

Dude, you can make those CGI graphics of (spider! werewolf! snake! alien! ghost!) for about $19.99 with Ron Popeil’s Monster CGI Graphics kit.

RENDER IT AND FORGET IT!!

Like you’re not eagerly waiting for master thespian Rachel Hunter’s movie about the cow parasites.

So, debate about the six episodes aside, what does everyone make of what happened in the finale? Adama was acting really bizarre the entire episode, to the point where I’m starting to really wonder if that Cylon agent told the president the truth in that Starbuck torture episode. Could he be a Cylon? Anyhow, I’m wondering about a couple of things:

1. Why did Adama go to Boomer to fly the nuke mission to the basestar? Apollo didn’t have to go to the president’s ship, and Boomer had just tried to kill herself – that same day, judging by the Helo time stamps. Okay, Sharon, I know you’re suicidal and all, but I need you to fly the most important mission of your career, right now. Make sense to anyone? I immediately thought that Adama was somehow aware that Boomer was a Cylon.

2. Adama’s line before he congratulated Boomer and the other pilot was also really weird. He said “You carried out a very difficult and dangerous mission. And you did it despite any personal misgivings you might have had.” Huh? What the hell does that mean. What personal misgivings? What could Adama be referring to here, if not Boomer’s encounter with “herself” on the basestar, and all the conflicted loyalties she’s been feeling.

Toss this stuff into the strange command to storm the president’s ship – that seemed way over the top, even considering what the president did with Starbuck, and out of character for Adama – and I’m thinking Cylon. And I’m also wondering about Adama absence in that episode with Tighe’s wife. Did the human Adama return on that shuttle when he was missing, supposedly dealing with Ellen? Or a Cylon copy?

Personally I thought the alternate plan involving the raptor & the nuke sounded like a suicide mission so Boomer seemed a good choice as she obviously wanted to go out with a bang, and he didn’t have to use up one of his remaining stable pilots.

The speech about putting aside personal misgivings and completing your mission wasn’t so much directed towards the pilots as it was an attack on his Son.

I thought it was clear that Adama’s speech was for Apollo’s benefit, intended as a rebuke to his son for not being able to carry out his mission of arresting the president, hence the personal misgivings.

Would Adama do that? Would he send Boomer on a suicide mission thinking “Hey, she’s tried to kill herself today already, so what the hell!” If anything, that makes her highly unstable and unlikely to be of sound mind needed to carry out the mission.

I got the Apollo reference in the speech, but it still seemed like a very odd thing to say when speaking to Boomer, seeing as she just faced her season-long “misgivings” first hand. What “personal misgivings” could Boomer and the other chick have about blowing up a Cylon Basestar? To me, Adama’s speech would have made more sense as a rebuke to Apollo and as a compliment to Boomer and friend if he’d just said something about loyalty.

And then there’s that “For all they know, you could be two Cylon agents returning with a captured Raptor” line when Adama gives the assignment to Boomer. That seemed more than a little hint-hint to me. It also seemed pretty crazy, as Adama said that the Cylons would ignore the sight of the Raptor just because of the transponder. He basically blew off any possibilty that this longshot mission would fail, assuming the Cylons would be dumb enough to ignore an enemy ship crusing directly at a Basestar. Adama had no way of knowing this, and he hasn’t seemed like the sort of person to risk pilots’ lives on blind hunches.

Oh, and there’s also the fact that the Cylons knew not only that the Raptor was coming, but that Boomer was flying the ship. Otherwise, there’s no way to explain the chorus lines of Boomers waiting for her. Also, the explosion was clearly allowed to happen, which implies that the Cylons arranged it in the first place. And since the plan was concocted solely by Adama…

But he doesn’t know that she just tried to kill herself. Boomer told Tyrol, not Adama, that she wanted to die. Adama most likely just thinks that she had an accident cleaning her gun (unless he actually is a Cylon, that is).

The fact that they would probably die in the attempt? Wouldn’t you have personal misgivings about going on what might turn out to be a suicide mission?

Perhaps, but it’s also likely that the other Boomers sensed her presence when she approached the Basestar. Remember, she hears their voices in her head before the other Boomers appear, so there’s some sort of network connection there. :) Also, I would imagine that many Basestars have a large complement of all the humanoid Cylons.

The bomb was Starbuck’s plan, not Adama’s, but when she took off for Caprica, Adama had to substitute the Raptor for the captured raider. Yes, the explosion was allowed to happen. It’s also possible that the Cylons let the bomb go off so that there would be a reasonable explanation for Baltar’s eventual return to the fleet.

I’m not sold on the Adama-is-a-Cylon thing, but I agree that there are some scenes (especially his talk with Sharon before the mission) that could be interpreted that way.

I’m not sold on the Adama-is-a-Cylon thing,

I am. I am betting now that Boomer has “awoken” and knows everything about being a Cylon. However, she loves who she is, like Caprica-Boomer, and is going to prove herself in the eyes of the others by killing Adama-Cylon.

Remember, Number 6 says that Boomer is a bad model, or something to that effect. Number 6 doesn’t seem to have lied. In fact, no Cylon yet has lied other than never saying they are a Cylon.

Just saying.

Well, except Six lying to Baltar about why she wanted to play with the defence systems.

And the look in Boomer’s eye suggested terrified shock at what she’d done, not planning or anything.

Six also told a few lies when she showed up in the flesh on Galactica to accuse Baltar of being a traitor.

I guess I should have said that I wasn’t completely sold on the Adama-Cylon idea, as I’m on the fence about that. The main reason I don’t like the idea is that it’s too obvious (someone says Adama is a Cylon, and he turns out to be a Cylon). Sure, that could be a fake-out on the part of the writers, to get us to dismiss the idea in a previous ep so that it can take us by surprise later on. That’s entirely possible. On the other hand, the main reason I can buy into Adama being a Cylon is that when Moore was writing for DS9, a couple of his co-writers pulled off a similar trick of having one of the main characters being replaced by an imposter for several episodes, and Moore has brought over many of the things he loved about DS9 to BSG.

If I’m not sold on Adama being a Cylon, it’s because it would be bad writing. It would be overusing a device that’s already coming close to being tiresome.

Added to which, if you only have 12 models it’s highly wasteful and ineffective to use the features of a very high-profile figure. Either you have hundreds of plants who can easily have their cover blown, or you make only one or two copies for special circumstances and drastically limit your numbers.

Cylons are better planners, and the BG people seem to be better writers.

Alternatively, they made one of him in the intervening period - we still don’t know how they’re doing it.

Six also told a few lies when she showed up in the flesh on Galactica to accuse Baltar of being a traitor.

Possibly, although she may be have been a sleeper Six. Moreso than usual, that is.

Yeah, but that scene with the Chief made it pretty clear that nobody buys that story. And why would they? It’s absurd. But even if it were believable, why send a pilot into this vital mission with a head wound suffered earlier that day? It’s crazy. And it’s not like there was a shortage of pilots. All Viper pilots were onboard the Galactica, so Adama had a lot of choice.

I wouldn’t characterize these feelings as “misgivings.” At all. Unless there was some issue with Boomer or others not trusting that Adama’s Raptor plan was the right decision. And there wasn’t.

Doesn’t that seem far too coincidental, though? Boomer lands to finish off this secret plan, and her Cylon model is waiting for her? That’s way too perfect for me.

Good points. Though I’m not sure the Cylons needed to blow up a Basestar for Baltar’s escape to seem logical.

I don’t see what other explanation there could be at this point. I like Euri’s take. Adama’s pretty clearly dead. Having him start next season in a coma would be a major copout, too. And I have the feeling that Boomer’s gotten over her conflicts. She didn’t kill herself, she dropped the bomb and left, and she’s in love with the Chief, just like her counterpart is in love with Helo. The sudden reverse, after she’s done everything to affirm her allegiance to humanity, doesn’t make sense, unless it’s some kind of Cylon mind-control, and that would be pretty damn lame.

It would also negate the development of her character and mean that Cylons have no internal conflicts over their war with the humans, and that’s already been shown to not be the case, with Helo and Caprica Boomer, and Six’s love for Baltar. What would be the point of turning things around like this? It would wreck everything that’s been built with Boomer all year. Despite all the turmoil, in the end she would be nothing but a killing automaton. To me, that would truly suck.