Battlestar Galactica

I vaguely remember Baltar from the original version either being in prison, or being the commander of the cylonds. Was Baltar the main villain from the beginning in the original, or did it progress to that as the show went on? I’m hoping the new Baltar doesn’t turn into mega-villain – I rather like this Baltar and his complications.

In the original, Baltar was put into the employ of the Imperious Leader and charged with chasing after the fleet.

Then he was eventually caught and used as bait to lure out the murderer Charybdis.*

*Not our Charybdis. Though he certainly could be a murderer too. Someone else can stand next to him.

All I’m saying is that I’m looking forward to how Moore is going to get Starbuck and Apollo into white uniforms…

MWAH HA HA, YOU WILL ALL FALL!

If you watch the original pilot, the Cylons actually kill him off.

But I guess they wanted a toaster-less bad guy.

I’ve noticed that Stargate and Atlantis on Sci-Fi are about 10 episodes behind the curve as well. If I recall correctly, SG-1 is shown on Showtime early and Atlantis on CBC.

— Alan

Stargate isn’t on Showtime, but I know somewhere they’re ahead.

They’re all coming out of SkyOne, actually.

They actually just ended the first season of Atlantis this week, with three more episodes of SG-1.

Which I suggest you catch, if you want to see Isaac Hayes as a Jaffa.

Atlantis has been coming from a Canadian channel, that’s why it’s been ahead of SG-1, which is Sky One.

They have’nt finished Atlantis over here - IIRC last week’s was the team once again spending as little time in Atlantis as possible in favour of a treasure hunt involving a load of monks. They’re taking a couple of weeks break for some reason though.

I rewatched the miniseries tonight on Amazon Prime. This is my first time returning to the show after the original airings. It didn’t take long to be struck by worry for our Galactica crew, seeing all the Cylons running around in secret on their ship. But then a thought occurred to me.

In the beginning, there are 12 colonies and 12 Battlestars. Presumably the Cylons weren’t treating Galactica as a special case, so there should be similar levels of Cylon agents on each ship. They aren’t trying to hide; many of them have critical roles. One is Galactica’s executive officer! Even given the colony’s limited computing capabilities, how did no one notice the number of “identical twins” spread throughout the military? They have FTL drives, small enough to fit in a Raptor. The colonies are not so far apart that no one would be exposed to the crew of the other vessels.

I think the idea is that a lot of those concerns are hand-waved away with “general ban on networked computers”.

For some reason I did a rewatch of the entire series 3 or 4 years ago, and while the first couple of seasons (up to mid third) hold up well, I really felt that the way it fell apart in the end diminished my enjoyment. I generally don’t have any trouble compartmentalizing parts of series, but BSG was an exception.

The reason the cylons are able to steamroll over the other 11 Battlestars is that they were networked. That allowed the cylons to transmit the activation codes to Baltar’s backdoor program. The only real limitation is on AI development. I’ll buy that goes with facial recognition software, but a single military across 12 colonies must have gatherings of some sort. Engineering conferences, that kind of thing.

Necro!

OK, I am playing in BSG Boardgame and digging it. I loved the series, but haven’t watched in what, 10 years? With Caprica and whatnot existing, how should I do a re-view? Is that even worth it? Webisodes? Wha?

Someone tell me how to re-watch this thing, please?

Miniseries, Season 1, Season 2, Razor, Season 3, Season 4. The webisodes are meh. The Plan was not good. Blood and Chrome is okay but unnecessary. Skip Caprica. :)

If people start boxing, skip that episode completely.

This. And don’t skip any episodes. The webisodes are optional, so no need to track them down.

I thought it was all good, except the very last episode, which retroactively made me never want to watch it again. But man, it was such a great ride getting to the final episode. A really enjoyable series. One that really made me think about issues, like any good science fiction show should.

OK, cool. So watch it like I did in the day, but just forget Caprica and all other distractions. White noise.

Caprica got decent reviews from scifi sights whose reviews I trusted, like Jammer’s Star Trek reviews. I was going to check it out eventually, but it got cancelled, so I figured, it probably wasn’t worth checking out if they never got to finish their vision.

Eh I watched most of it.

While I didn’t hate it, I also lost interest in it before it ended. It did try to go into the idea about virtual consciousness and can something be alive, but they are concepts done far better in your average cyberpunk setting.

Like, for example, Altered Carbon. In fact that’s more interesting, on the whole, than Caprica. If I wanted any of the themes from Caprica, I’d be watch that instead.