Battletech by Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns)

Oh man, that picture is quintessential BT. Great photo.

I’m still climbing the Chick Parabola and it is glorious! I finally get the interface bits. Things that are so obvious NOW but didn’t register earlier.

For example, the initiative bar. 5 is fastest. There’s little triangles showing how many meeples are that speed. Grey is you, red is targets. So obvious right? Yet my brain ignored it because I was still figuring out how to move.

And yes, what that little yellow bar is. Which btw, I am now abusing. Ballistic stuff does stability damage (yellow bar) so it makes stuff fall. Fallen targets are good. Two things about falling. If the left chest blows up, AND the mec falls, it seems pilot only takes one damage? Have to see if it’s a UI issue, but it seems I still need to do 2 more damage to take out the pilot. You need 3 points to take out a pilot. Another thing, fallen mecs are good because it makes it easier to capture. Either blow up the other leg or try to take out the left/right chest (more salvage this way but riskier).

When you move, you get to highlight to see what weapons will be in range. Useful.

When you attack, there’s all these red lines showing which flank you’re actually attacking. Useful!

Oh yeah, the abuse. So I took a mec and loaded it up with LRM15+ I bought at store. Just missiles. Bring a light mec friend to target lock for you. On a good hit you’ll fill up the yellow bar and the mec goes on its ass.

ALSO, I do not like the big tanks that are showing up. They no longer explode when you step on them. Too many hit points. They are like nasty cockroaches that won’t die.

Maybe it’s just me, but I find it an interesting design choice not going with any difficulty options. I can’t honestly recall the last game I played with no choices on this.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/2/d/1fnaqQv8nnYpy9gtQm75-D6fmYfNJ5u3OALSIe8ckOuo/htmlview?sle=true#

Not all pilots only have 3 hp for one, and secondly there may be a rule limiting one pilot damage per salvo though I am pretty sure I’ve done 2 before with a knockdown and a hit.

Has anyone found any Gauss Rifles for sale, outside of on an existing mech? Finding little pieces of LosTech is super fun.

Thanks for the detailed reply! It’s really appreciated.

I’m thinking I’ll stick with XCom 2, and by the time my turn based itch returns, Battletech will be patched up. Tough call though, because I do really like the mech theme more.

Once the game opens up, contracts all have individual difficulty ratings. I had a problem with this initially, but so far it’s been OK

I had an interesting… issue… with a crew member. A lady named Behemoth decided to remove wall panels to gain more leg room. I had a choice of telling her to put it back or paying a 20,000 cbill fine. Also another one that I didn’t have the skill for. I decided to back her up and keep my crew happy. So I paid the fine and got +1 morale. Cool.

Hey, yesterday I linked some Nvidia drivers, now some 1060 users saying it puts them in a reboot loop so beware.

My only issue so far is a Mech pilot who had a - morale penalty which supposedly expired, but which still persists nonetheless.

Another great combat guide:

It taught me something else new:

“There is a circle around the feet of the target unit that indicates which side of the enemy your weapons will hit. This is also reflected in the target readout in the upper center of the HUD that highlights which locations could be randomly hit.”

When you have a lot of damage and then have to repair which can take 40 days can you advanced the game those 40 days? Otherwise one can not complete the next contract with only one mech (as an example). Or do you have to go and do the last mission over again?

Early game I did a bunch of missions with 3 mecs, they are not that hard. Is that what you are asking?

The loss of time is probably just money (assuming there’s no loss condition or built in triggers later on).

I read that difficulty depends on the system you fight in so later on you can seek out easier missions by traveling there. It takes sooo long to travel thought!

I am sad to say that three mechs were unusable without repairs. Hard to go on a contract with only one mech.

If Turner painted Battletech!

I updated yesterday independently of BattleTech - just happened to be that time - and my 1060 didn’t go nuts. Yet, anyway.

I installed yesterday’s driver and played Battletech fine. Tonight I couldn’t even start the game.

I checked GeForce Experience and they had a new update. I just installed that and was just able to start the game. Weird.

I have a 970.

Yes, from the main dropship screen you can advance as many days as you like, though of course you won’t be taking in any revenue. You can also accept a contract, and use the transit time to heal up and fix up, and when you get there, you can still run the clock until you want to hit the start mission button.

Is there a way to click on enemies can see their weapons, the weapons optimal range and damage? Or do we have to memorize the strengths and weaknesses of each enemy?