Battletech by Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns)

This Fall, we will probably have a Battletech Tournament. We’ll need to settle on a format.
Some ideas for the Tournament -

The map selection announced in advanced. Probably randomly generated before the start of the campaign, so everyone knows.

Build your own mechs and lances. My idea is to have everyone pre build two lances before the start of the tournament, and that what you use. Basically an A squad and a B squad. This cuts down on the amount of fiddling needed between games, and the overall time it takes to set up a game.

Groupings - Created 4 divisions - everyone plays everyone in each division. The top 2 in each division moves on.

Prize - NONE!!!

I’m looking for more ideas, and after a while, I’ll put together a survey and set up a thread for the Battletech Tournament thread.

Prize - The right to claim the qt3 ultimate mechwarrior championship belt for endying glory and fame.

Yeah, geez, what’s up with that prize. The winner should be able to call themselves “champion Mechwarrior” as their subtitle in the forum or something.

What am I, Oprah?

who is going to joe rogan the bouts on twitch?

Hard to tell from here.

Could Oprah write an excel spreadsheet of mech-y goodness like Legowarrior produced up thread?

I think not.

She would have people.
Damn, I need people!

So, let me know about ideas for the format of the future tournament. I really like the idea of making our own mechs, because that is part of the fun, but I really don’t like the idea of having people tweak their mechs after every game. That starts to take to long, and some of us have a limited window of time.
Alternatively, I don’t mind just using stock mechs because it lowers the barrier for a lot of people (no more messing with Sleepy PPC guys or LRM Mechs with zero armor).

I usually don’t do tournaments because I suck. But this is one I might join. I’d be fine with stock mechs. It levels the playing field.

While I’ll abstain as I normally do in MP games, I’d certainly follow the tournament with interest!

I don’t know if the scheduling would work out (my only available game time is generally 10 pm - midnight PST), but I’d be at least potentially interested.

I’m in favor of Lego’s proposed tournament format but if the round structure allows, I would add one thing:

tiers of mech purchase dollars corresponding to the rounds like this:

Round 1: enough money for a light/medium lance (say 15M)
Round 2: enough money for a medium/heavy lance (say 25M)
Round 3: enough money for a heavy/assault lance (say 35M)

This means each player would have to design a total of 6 lances (2 for each round) but the players could always choose stock configurations, and in my plan, you’d only have to submit your proposed 2 lances for the round before the beginning of that round (not the whole tourney).

This means that the tourney will feature a variety of mechs and also that the concept of reconfiguring your mechs and adapting is a part of the tourney.

And now to briefly return to the SP portion of the program where I beg your leave to bitch about what I have to show for a priority mission called Guldra. I have pretty much zip nada. The salvage was a joke.

Meanwhile Lady Arnano traipses around in an Atlas I desperately need yet she can’t be bothered to give it to me after the mission and meanwhile I got a battlemaster nearly shot dead losing a lot of 3+ weapons sitting there at the end of the mission getting pounded because of a rather contrived constraint that I stay in a rather confined space and get attacked from two directions for four turns…

@ArmandoPenblade will run a 900 part RPG session for us all to create the history and compositions of our merc companies.

Consider it done. I’m wrapping up my 18-part, 5-GM, 20-player scifi comedy extravaganza in about 36 hours and am gonna be real bored after that…

Or you could just kill all the enemies and then go back to sit in the pen for 4 turns…

This has been the reason that I occasionally consider cheating an Atlas into my mech bay. But I just can’t bring myself to do it.

I guess I sort of took a middle road on it then, I keep the mech group together and worked on taking out a batch coming over the hill and then worked on taking out those coming up the road.

They just did what they do, which if focus fire on a particular mech of mine.

Yeah, I really was hoping this was another mission like the one where they gave me a highlander only this time it was an atlas.

You guys: you will get that Atlas at the end of the campaign. You also have a chance to fight and salvage an Atlas in 4 Skull and above missions. (Although with the new patch fine tuning difficulty, Atlii might be limited to 4.5 Skull and above missions now.)

In my view, what you really want to salvage near the end of the game are King Crabs, Highlanders and Stalkers - a lance of those 3 is cooking with gas. Stalker at 85 tons has a surprising amount of tonnage available, even with jump jets, and has very good hard points. Highlander also has good hard points, especially one version (733? or the 733B? I forget). And King Crab, well, it’s good to be the king.

I mean I love the ol’ Mighty Armored Doughboy as much as the next mech fan but the Atlas is not the only excellent end-game mech IMO.