Battletech by Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns)

I hit a bug where the timeline would not advance. It was stuck on Financian Report (done), and nothing below that (like my repair/refit jobs) would ever advance. I took the opportunity to start over, as I wasn’t super happy with how my mech assortment had wound up. Even though I was at the endgame, I don’t mind.

I beat the game a week ago, and even though I should be playing Pillars 2 I keep diving back in to Battletech for a few missions because I want to get every mech out there. It’s become a “gotta catch 'em all” pokemon thing for me.

I’m in the same boat. I really want to get my hands on some the really rare equipment also. I’ve got a Thermal Exchanger unit that drops heat output from all weapons in the mech by 10%. Absolutely rocks for an energy-heavy mech. I’ve heard tell on various forums of Thermal Exchanger + or ++ models as well, which I’d dearly love to get my hands on. Can’t find them to save my life though.

I’m just cruising the galaxy shopping for equipment, blowing things up, and collecting mechs. It looks though like it’s going to be a serious pain to backfill all the lights/mediums I sold in the early game. In the later parts of the game missions less than 3 skulls seem to be nonexistent. I may have to resort to just buying them as I find parts for sale.

Anyone else having a clueless APC AI being unable to plot it’s way to the waypoint in the final mission?

My allied APC’s are moving back and forth. It’s been 20 turns of this silly AI failure while I adjust the positions of my mechs. Seems like nothing will work. Anyone have a clue on this can be resolved?

Have you tried running to the waypoint maybe it’s occupied.

I had that happen to me during a generated mission and a story mission – both required me to restart them. The patch notes for 1.03 make it sound like this may have been addressed though.

I don’t know if it’s just me, but the AI seems dumber since I’d been playing with the 1.03 beta and now pushed version. I’ve had a few instances where tanks will just sit there doing nothing until I go shoot it and take it out. A lot of my 4-5 star missions have mechs with low armor, whereas pre 1.03 all the mechs were nearly/always full armor. I’m doing missions around the research/manufacturing Tauran capital area to try and get better gear and some mechs I don’t have so the mission zones haven’t changed.

Low armor enemies were common at launch too. If the mission says something about them coming from a battle or stuff like that, it’s mostly shown through depleted armor.

Argh. My second contract went super well, defending a base and getting bonus credits for no damage to the base, and 2/3rd of a Jenner. I click next after salvage and game crash. My only save is the auto-save when the mission started. Not a great first impression there, with me not wanting to replay that damned fight again and HOPE it goes as well the second time. Sigh.

Hopefully that will be a rare thing for you. In my 80 hours of play so far, I’ve only had to redo 1 mission due to a bug where it got stuck and wouldn’t progress to the next turn in the mission.

Only real bug I found other than the supposedly now fixed permanent morale status one was a doozy–late game, right before setting off on the final mission, game would not advance the clock for work orders or any other tasks because a financial report event was still in the queue though it was marked done. Had to ditch that campaign and start a new one. Not a big deal, as I kinda wanted to do that anyhow.

Another pilot bites the dust. Down to killing the last mech in a base defense mission, and the griffin does a death from above onto my hunchback, destroying the head and killing yet another pilot. I think I’ve lost 3 pilots in the last 5 missions now due to the head being destroyed.

Sounds like a pretty decent AI.

One interesting thing about all these turn-based strategy games that depict warfare is that none of them impose moral factors on the AI side. While the human player has the option to withdraw after devastating losses the AI, no matter how bad it gets, never does so. They always attack to the last man. In BT novels, general retreats happen, yet not in the games. I know why this is, but it’s one factor that isn’t terribly realistic – and again not that realism in this regard is desired or necessary to the game.

I was pondering this exact thing throughout my first semi-abortive play through. That last enemy 'Mech, minus its arms, limping, with smoke boiling up from its shattered chassis, desperately charging your nearly pristine assault 'Mech to head butt it in a gesture of supreme futility. Might make sense if you’re fighting the Genyosha or ComStar ROM fanatics, but for most mercs or even house troops, that’s nonsensical.

I agree though it makes little difference for this type of game. In fact, because you, the player, have no real incentive not to go for broke all the time, especially with save scumming, it would unbalance things remarkably if the enemy turned tail when you gained a huge advantage. And we certainly would complain bitterly if our own troops broke and ran without our control.

This is only sort of connected, but what it made me think of is how CA has programmed their units in tactical battles to retreat when getting beat up and then circle back again to attack you. So you can often break a unit and if you didn’t also pretty much decimate them they disengage from getting clobbered then come back from a new angle of attack to hit you again somewhere weaker. Also their ranged units are really rather good at harassing the heck out of you inflicting some damage and then if you seek to address it with any other unit short of cav they just keep kiting away from your unit, stopping to fire at them if they stop pursuing.

It’s really rather effective. And it just occurred to me that’s something as you say that would be interesting to have here. Program the AI so when it has a mech with no weapons left for example to simply disengage. In TW titles when I’m playing a tactical battle I very rarely completely destroy an army because they break and run for the hills to fight another day.

The only time I’ve seen the AI try to retreat is assassination missions. The target has attempted to retreat on a number of occasions for me.

Yep. That’s what made me think of this. In my case it was a Locust believe it or not, going up against my full lance of minimally damaged Assault and Heavy mechs. It was pitiful and ludicrous at the same time.

I had another crash right after accepting the salvage. I looked it up and many folks report the same issue, so not sure what that’s all about. I re-did the mission (it was mercifully short) and no problems the second time. I’m just going to have to get into the habit of hitting F10 as I get close to the end of a mission to quick save, so I don’t have to re-do entire missions should it happen again, I suppose.

Loving the game so far otherwise though. So satisfying!

I had this problem occasionally until I updated my video drivers, and then it went away. Could be a coincidence though