Battletech by Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns)

Always thought it was goofy that you’d stick the pilot in the actual head of the giant warmachine.

Ha, if I was a pilot, I would hide in the big toe!

Remote control, all the way, lol

Behind a big window. Not like, you know, real armor.

Pilot: Why is there a window? Is that glass?
Mechanic: Real strong glass.
Pilot: As strong as Ferro Fibrous or Endo Steel?
Mechanic…
Pilot: Do we have any SRM tanks?

Any pretense of military efficiency or combat effectiveness must be left at the door when you enter Battletech-land. Dudes, really, giant walking robots that tip over and require half their mass to support internal structure and engines? You just have to roll with it.

It’s a feudal society, with status and power denoted by being able to field and pilot groups of Battlemechs, combat effectiveness be damned. Leaders fight from the front, even though no trained military leader has done that since the 19th Century. Large caliber weapons have shorter ranges than small caliber weapons. The range of the ballistic and missile weapons are an order of magnitude or more too short and the velocity of the projectiles, well my parrots fly faster than that.

It’s all part of the mechwarrior/battletech experience. Their economy, politics, military, etc., make no sense at all. And it does not matter b/c we get to drive giant battlemechs and take the role of heroic combatants.

And cuter.

Cuter? Spoken like a man who has never had a long tour of duty with no company but a saucy AC/2!

My cockatoo could easily out damage an AC2.

Parrot/10 racks

Since the Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries thread on this forum is 15 years old, I’ll post this here:

Battletech made me desire to play MW4:Mercs again but last time I looked into it, it just wouldn’t play on Windows 10 and due to the free release and collapse of MekTek, there was no GoG version.

However, a redditor named Volkar the Destroyer posted a very comprehensive Guide to Running MW4 on WIndows 10.

I followed it and although I did have to read all the way down and apply a couple of the troubleshooting tips, I was able to get the glorious old beast to run.

Here is a screenshot of a starting Cougar in glorious pink:

My Awesome Q was gathering dust for a while. Now running it with 5 LLs, one +++ the rest ++. It’s… interesting. Double heat sink and two exchangers along with a few more regular sinks leaves it with 1400 armor and several alphas before heat kicks in.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mechanics-of-called-shot-and-clustering.1107634/

The paranoid players were correct for once! Headshot chances doubled, a dev confirms they will fix bug next patch.

“That bug has been fixed and will be in an upcoming hotfix, and should bring head hits from the current ~2.4% (2/82) down to intended ~1.25% (1/81)”

The fix is live.

Just got one of these and completely agree. I promptly put it in storage and sold it.

Mech like Card Game:

I suppose this really belongs in the board game thread but thought some folks might be interested in this thread.

Critcal Mass:
http://www.dicetower.com/game-video/critical-mass-overview-tom-vasel

what is so bad about it?

I’ve just finished Coromidir. It was easy, far easier than the briefing implied. Now my lance is rocking two highlanders, battlemasters and the mighty mighty Atlas. I have almost gotten the parts to a kingcrab. really looking forward to getting that one, it looked so fucking badass in Coromidir

It just doesn’t hold very many weapons so it’s fundamentally under armed. I’d use a medium before fielding this thing.

I’m running two highlanders a kingcrab and a jagermech as a missile boat. Would like to get my hands on an Atlas.

I suppose at this point I really should finish up the campaign and run the last mission, ha.

As for banshee, it does look good, which is why I found it disappointing it’s all show and no go.

Isn’t there are version that can get a shit ton of Small Lasers? You might be able to get away with a melee monster, but that’s the only thing it can do.

There may be, it wasn’t the one I got. If there is I guess you could use it as melee, that does seem like what it’s built for, but thing is, I would never make one of the four i’m fielding in a lance a just melee mech. That’s just me of course, others might like melee, just like I’ve never used flamers to light mechs up, but I could definitely see how that might be a thing.

Yeah, melee is a situational thing for me. I never build specifically for it. And I’ve never used a flamer either. Maybe in a second playthrough. If I ever finish this game. :)