Battletech by Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns)

The random nickname generator on this game cracks me up.

I just went into a mission where my lance was piloted by Peanut Butter, Noodle, Lobster and Bacon, which sounds like a pretty tasty Clan-Inner-Sphere-Fusion-Stir-Fry. We won easily and Lobster had the most kills.

Now I want stir-fry.

Now that it’s been a bit, for those who bought the expansion, has it been worth it? Is the career mode alone worth it?

I started a new game on the career mode.

I must be 15 hours into it and I have seen a couple of new planets and a couple of interesting missions. But I have not seen hardly any new content. I have seen a couple of flashpoints pop up on the Inner Sphere map but the lowest was 3 stars and that is not going to be doable with a lance of light mechs. So perhaps I am missing something but is there any new content for the beginning of the game or is all of the Flashpoint content for the mid- and late- game?

It seems like the content is aimed at mid and late game.

All you are likely to see early on the new medium mechs, at least in my experience.

I did my first flashpoint last night and it was tough, but fun and rewarding. Got several good quality items and three mech parts, one of which filled out my second Orion.

Judging by the patch notes, the flashpoint missions include well known characters and units. I wish they had put a couple that are doable earlier in your career.

I started a new campaign so still early. I have seen Hatchetman twice, the jungle environment 3x , and a new mission where you have to get to 4 points and plant a satellite beacon, and stay on 2 of those points for 2 turns then evacuate before reinforcements arrive. I have not tried any flashpoints.

Something important to know: you can not get flashpoints in campaign mode until after you’ve completed the main story. You can get them any time in career mode but, as others have noted, they seem to be aimed at mid and late game in terms of their difficulty and requirements.

I started a new career like people suggested upstream. It takes a while to get going! I have 10-12 missions under my belt and I still haven’t looted a medium mec.

I did somehow fit an AC20 in a firestarter. Perhaps not the best design. Glass cannon with 6 shots.

SERIOUSLY?!?!? OMG that frustrates the shit out of me. A couple days ago I had to make the decision whether to go Career or Story, but I noticed that Career mode had a time limit it seemed so I went Story instead. And only now do I find out I won’t get any Flashpoint stuff until completion. Ugh.

If you’ve not played the game before, campaign is the right choice. Flashpoints are, as previously noted, intended for more seasoned players.

That said, I’m not aware of any time limit in career mode - what gave you that idea?

Um, in the upper left hand corner when you start is says 1200 days left. And then you click on it and it has a whole scoring system. Which implies to me you have 1200 days to wrack up the most points possible.

Ah. Yeah, that’s when it gives you a score, but it doesn’t actually end your game - career mode is open ended.

Good fuck. I wish I’d known that about 20 hours of gaming ago. I really, really don’t want to start over. I literally just got the Star League era Highlander.

Enjoy that toy, I had that through the rest of the campaign and that Gauss Rifle blew many a limb off.

That gauss rifle lasted me only a battle or two. It got blown off pretty ruthlessly by the AI.

I ended up figuring out how to mod the Flashpoints in early by editing a Milestone. Actually used the one you hit when you get the Highlander.

Are you going to share that? :))

First, you need a text editor. I prefer notepad++. Then you need some basic, entry-level modding smarts. Like the ability to right-click and open files and copy-paste stuff.
Go to your battletech>battletech_data>StreamingAssets>Data>Milestones
Open up 700a. search for system_useflashpoints . See what that section looks like" You need to get that tag added to an earlier Milestone if you want to unlock the flashpoints. Some of those earlier Milestones already have tags added to them, you can just add a comma after one of those items and copy and paste “SYSTEM_UseFlashpoints” right after that. If that Milestone you want to add it to doesn’t already have a tag added, then you need to just copy and paste the entire part of 700a that has this:

"AddedTags": {
			"items": [
				"SYSTEM_UseFlashpoints"
			],
            "tagSetSourceFile": ""
        },

Me, I put it in 423_notify_Highlander so Flashpoints opened up right after I got the Highlander.

List of all Flashpoints and their possible rewards.

The entire game should be based around these Flashpoints. Frankly, that system should replace the standard contract system. It is SO much more rewarding, and actually gives you a reason to maintain multiple mechs and mechwarriors.

I will put this here. It’s the deal of the day at Drive Thru Fiction. It’s a PDF.

It’s $8 and besides the art and other stuff it has 18 new stories from people like Stackpole and others.