Battletech by Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns)

Depends on the map. A grasshopper with leg mods is routinely one of the few mechs I will take on to certain maps even when I have assault mechs. I usually do not load it with small lasers and will have to try that. But since 'Hoppers have 6 hard points for support weapon that allows 6 flamers to be loaded.

6 flamers. Plus leg mods. Loaded with armor. Put this on an arid, desert or moon map and watch the carnage.

The hopper can jump into the fray, shut down virtually anything due to heat (+ flamers are even better), jump away to DFA another mech and then shut it down if I do not instantly kill it. If the other pilots have 10 gunnery, that means I get free 18% head-shots on the shut down mechs. It does not matter how much armor an assault mech is carrying at that rate and the salvage is tremendous. A hopper equipped like that can essentially take out half of a lance by itself in 2-3 turns.

6 Flamers
3 Heat Sinks
9 tons of various mods (DFA damage reduction or melee damage mods)
Half ton more armor

It is a 70 ton Firestarter that can beat opposing mech to death or fry them while in their cockpits.

There’s lots of fun to be had with Grasshoppers, the problem is that if the enemy lance is backed by reinforcements/turrets from elsewhere on the map then the return fire generally trashes the Grasshopper.

LOL, I’ll have to try that. The lasers are lighter and do more damage so I figured a better overall setup, but I can see how your setup would own on a hot planet. I do happen to have 2 grasshoppers so guess I can try both load outs

This conversation reminds me of Rob Zacny’s amusingly broken Grasshopper build: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/4354md/theres-nothing-wrong-about-breaking-games-with-cheap-strategies-its-fun

I love the new flashpoint missions, I agree they should replace 90% of the standard missions as this.

Is the Cyclops one of the new Flashpoint mechs? Because OMG you have to get this mech, its fast (5 speed), bristles with decent firepower (got it to 9 damage rating) and has a built in battle computer that gives ALL your mechs +1 to initiative which means you can act faster and stacks with Master Tactician getting an assault mech to act at speed 3!

Speaking of which I’ve learned serious lessons on my 2nd play through, I was turned off with how heavy the jumpjets were for the heavy and assault mechs and passed on them on my last playthrough. This playthrough I LOVE them, it has made the story missions SOOOO much easier! I really struggled my last play through on story missions, and now they are very doable…

The Cyclops is one of the new mechs, but it’s really not that great in my estimation. The battle computer is the only reason to use one as it’s the same weight as, and strictly inferior to, a Highlander.

I have heard some say on the steam forums that if one carefully gets a friendly Cyclops killed in the right CT-blowout fashion that the battle computer is salvageable as an individual component that can be installed on another mech. That might be an idea worth playing around with. I would love to stick a battle computer into my LRM Stalker.

The Cyclops is not the best mech at that tonnage for sure. The Highlander is my favorite in the entire game, especially when equipped with a Gauss Rifle. But that is offset with the initiative bonus which is my preferred pilot bonus anyway. The advantage of being able to move and shoot first cannot be underestimated. I have had multiple battles where my Highlander (with the aforementioned Gauss) focuses fire on a Quickdraw or JagerMech on the torso from range and cores it out (blowing through the center torso in one turn). Then the next turn moves a bit closer to an assault and headshots that one. The turn after that my Victor pops over the hill in close range and starts blowing off heads or limbs of anything that is remaining.

If I miss? Then the battle proceeds as normal and it turns into a normal slug-fest. If I connect? Then I take very little damage even on difficult fights and I am able to do this before even some of the medium mechs move.

I rigged it up with max armor (except for legs) and SRMs and lasers and got its damage rating to 9. Its basically a gimped grasshopper that boosts the entire team to be more combat effective! As Granath was saying the increase to initiative CANNOT be understated! :) I agree about the Highlander btw, which I like better than the kingcrab even.

In my latest career I generally restrict myself to a loadout variant that has been used in the actual game for greater challenge. So that means the Z, Q or some variant of the C for the Cyclops. Of course I have broken that rule on occasion to make my Grasshopper a 70t version of a Firestarter. But I will turn the Griffin from a 1N to a 1S instead of trying to create a SRM platform out of it. I find it keeps the game more honest for me.

What I want most out of this game is an editor that lets me create my own Flashpoints. The 11 that were in the DLC was too small of a taste. I would like to have hundreds, each with choices and filled with betrayal (especially by Kurita who believe mercs to be dishonorable).

This exactly. I was so excited about the flashpoints but finding out there were 11 after release was a massive letdown. An editor would be great, however, I feel that HBS really underdelivered on tis DLC.

I could have sworn the DLC for this was on sale on Steam … darn it. That was my plan for the weekend. sigh

Do you get access to flashpoints in pre-dlc saves?

Just got this game over the holidays. Barely started into campaign and taking it very slow as I try to learn the system. For example still trying to learn how to make good salvage. Love the battles so much I really don’t care how many missions I do. Do not love the load times

As someone who still owns old BT lead mini’s, what I want is a fully fleshed out mech painting tool. These are Mercs. They may, or may not paint their mechs the same. I want to be able to paint every mech differently if I want to, with lots more options as to customization.

I want this as well. Turn the mechs into my own little miniatures.

Without being home and being able to open the mini box, here is what I remember

My Commando was painted in woodlands camo, because well Commando. My Hunchback was painted well-weathered olive drab with deep red accents, kinda like well worn Soviet equipment. And the Marauder (waiting until those are in the game!) was painted white with red accents daring you to dare shoot at him. I think there was another, maybe a Shadowhawk, painted in yellow-black tiger stripes.

The game does allow you to select various different paint patterns (using your team colors) for each mech chassis type - I believe there are six patterns per chassis. So it’s not a full fledged mech painting tool, but you can customize your paint somewhat.

Yes. They started popping up in my post endgame save.

Been using the existing paint tools. Changed the colors 3-4 times already

But sure wish I had a full painting tool…I’d spend hours there :)

I really need to get back into this game. Anyone playing with this Battletech Extended 3025 mod?

Oooooooh.