Battletech by Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns)

Yeah, that might get me back in.

Oh wow, I dearly hope that’s well done because the potential is enormous.

Oh gosh, I was originally planning to replay the game when the second expansion rolls around, but that mod sounds awesome!

I installed it last night (along with the supporting mod infrastructure, which is fairly extensive). Only played through the start up of the campaign though so have no idea about how it actually plays yet. I was uncertain whether it would do much for the “career” mode, from Flashpoint, but if it works with that I’ll just restart one of those rather than endure the campaign again.

What did you use to uncompress the files? I tried three different programs, but none of them would work.

Not sure if it was an issue with the rar file or some setting in windows I don’t know about.

I used WinRAR. Worked fine for me, but with this sort of thing, I usually expect gremlins.

True enough! Thank you, I’ll try winRAR when I lose my current Roguetech career.

I can’t complain too much, it motivated me to try out Roguetech which promptly devoured most of my gaming time for the last couple weeks.

Edit: WinRAR worked like a charm!

So Battletech Urban Warfare coming in June?

I have the base game but haven’t played it yet. At this point is it worth playing the base game or is the first expansion worth adding on the first play through?

The base game is just fine by itself. Especially for a first playthrough of the campaign you probably don’t want the distraction of the flashpoint missions.

I mean, they wouldn’t be distracting because they don’t become available until you’ve completed the plot, but for that exact reason there’s really no need to have the DLC on your first playthrough anyway.

Has anyone played it since the recent patch in March? I had found that the loading times were just killing the joy of the game for me, but I see some references to a few speed up things in the patch. Any recent impressions?

Faster, but still really slow. I keep my phone by me during play so I can amuse myself during loads. The other game play is fast enough for me, so its really just the loads into game, load into battle, and load out of battle.

I’m still playing actively. Very much loving it.

I still think the intro cut scene is the greatest BattleTech thing ever made; it’s also so so much a better setup than the silly Warfapper 40k thesis statement about uh… Archaeon… no… Horus! that turbostupid Horus Heresy emo silliness. Even if the BT universe is still a bit thin around the edges and starts to not make sense if you squint.

I’m also kicking myself I didn’t spot them the 1k-2k to get my name in the game as a “hero” recruitable. Never forgive myself for that! I just… didn’t want the silly jacket.

It baffles me they can’t fix this.

Strangely I managed to cope with BATTLETECH load times just fine, while Shogun2’s load time were an absolute ahowstopper for me. Weird.

Agreed. Shogun 2 ran like a dog on every PC I had. I remember it taking forever to load and it was prone to crashing. Every time it did, I was forced to wait 10 minutes for it to load again and I would have lost my entire battle.

Battletech is not particularly snappy but it does not get too bad for me as long as I log off every couple of hours to clear out the persistent memory leak.

Maybe cuz now you can alt-tab and do stuff while you wait :p

Shogun 2 had probably the worst initial load times of any game I’ve played, but once loaded it ran pretty well for me, and the transitions between strategy and battle map were not too bad.

Battletech on the other hand has long initial load times, but not as bad as Shogun 2. However, the strategy / battle transitions are much worse than Shogun 2, although not quite as bad as that initial Shogun 2 load delay.

I can handle a long delay on start up, I just fire up the game and go make coffee, etc. But the multi-minute delays during the middle of a play session just kill me. Sure I can alt-tab out but that blows the pacing and immersion to hell for if I do it too much. And the transitional load times in Battletech are so bad I want to alt-tab before and after every single mission, and the game involves a lot of missions.

I tried it again tonight; gutted my way through initial load up, and then just lost my crap when it sloooooooowly loaded the first battle screen.

So, yeah, they need to fix that. I love the game but the transitional load times are just hell.

And, they are definitely worse after Flashpoint than they were before, for me. They’ve always been long, but now they are just ridiculous.

Anarchy Online. I rest my case.

Still waiting for it to load. I’ll get back to you.