Battletech by Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns)

Halcyon days when two of my favorite wargames of my youth get good conversions: OGRE, and now Battletech. If someone did a proper turn-based SFB conversion, my head would probably explode.

One of these is slightly more polished than the other.

This is one project I never had any doubts about, at least not after I played one of the Shadowrun games.

I’m still quite happy I backed this and can’t wait for release…

It’s coming…

There was a leaked date of april 8th if im not mistaken and steam now shows as “April 2018” instead of early 2018.

Don’t know about the 8th but I just got a backer email that says there’s a confirmed launch window of April 2018.

I read that on redditt last week but i could be wrong. Just saw they launched a new trailer.

Is there a campaign for this, or is it just buying mechs with points and battling?

If there is a campaign, is it sandbox/battle brothers style with a lot of replayability or is it a story type of deal?

Oddly enough, BT is one of the few genres that I feel really isn’t served by story-heavy campaign. Those campaigns are better for true RPGs, not wargames that the designers though would be a neat idea to turn into an RPG. (See also: Car Wars). It’s a game about smashing giant goddamn robots together. If there’s a campaign, I hope it more along the line of a Mercenaries deal with appropriate random encounter types chained together, rather than some “I MUST DEFEND THE HONOR OF THE STARBOAR ANUSES AGAINST THE EVIL DAD BETRAYERS” kind of thing.

I remember reading that there is a story-based campaign where you lead a team of mercenaries and help a princess reclaim her throne or something of that nature, but that you can continue taking on jobs after you have completed it and presumably have the option to take on other jobs during the main campaign. So it sounds kind of sandboxy.

The campaign is the most exciting part for me and has been a “dream-game” of mine since reading those House sourcebooks in high school. From what I understand you’ll get to customize your mechs, squaddies, and ship and go on sandbox style missions. There are some very brief videos that give a glimpse of the campaign features.

SP is the only reason I kickstarted this, I could care less about MP.

Well, the more that the game takes advantage of fluff, the happier I’ll be. That’s a big chunk of BT’s charm, after all. And, just think: no Clans. So no goddamn star fairies with bad Mecha Anime names and their goddamn OP omnimechs. Just Succession War era garbage, like God intended.

It’s garbage unless we can side with the Evil Dad Betrayers against the Starboar Anuses. I need that kind of choice in my games.

Damn right.

I always liked you.

I played an unhealthy amount of the pen and paper Mechwarrior RPG. If the campaign/mercenary company management cycle here works then I am in a lot of trouble.

Could this be the game that brings us all together in glorious harmony?

“And one game to bind them”