Battletech by Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns)

They have also abandoned the iOS version of the app required to play the Golem Arcana board game (a really cool game IMHO). The only way to currently play the physical game is with Andriod and I fear any given update to my phone might also take that out. They made promises almost a year ago to update the iOS app (that they broke with an update) once Battletech is done as all hands were on deck.

I want to get excited for Battletech. It’s a childhood favorite. However I’ve had really negative experiences with Wiesman, Wizkids, and Harebrianed Schemes.

That said, my only beef with Battletech itself from watching videos is the AI looks a little weak. I worry the game may end up having a @tomchick parabola as once the systems are learned, the game won’t push back enough. But maybe they know that and it is mostly a weakness of even tactical battles. Perhaps they can tweak the odds in campaign missions by swamping the player.

So, overall thoughts on whether we trust this one enough to preorder or not?

• Perorder It!
  • No, Never Preorder Anything!
  • Don’t Preorder Battletech (for various reasons)
  • Sigh… Shit Bonerz

0 voters

So far the impressions have been good…

Nothing I’ve played has captured the Battletech boardgame feel the way the very first backer beta round of this game did.

I can’t speak to the quality of the campaign/mercenary company-loop, but it has an incredibly promising start. I really enjoyed it.

Also…

I’m usually in the never-preorder camp, but $32 seems okay.

Based on HBS’ prior work, at the very worst I assume the game will be competent but bland. The impressions and gameplay videos suggest something much better than that. For $32, it seems a safe bet.

Will need to mess around a bit with Crescent Hawk’s Inception to get in the mood before release!

Great idea - I loved that game to pieces when I was in high school. Maybe I’ll see how it holds up myself.

If you guys are talking about the old Infocom title, that was indeed a great game.

I watched some of a let’s play of the early parts of the campaign. Initially, I became concerned because I had to skip through about six thirty-minute episodes of what were essentially tutorial missions and storyline cutscenes to see any footage of company management and mission selection. Three hours is a long time to have your hand held. But then, when I found footage of the actual campaign, it offered so many options and details: buying parts, outfitting and repairing mechs, managing your pilots, etc. It also looked as if you could choose between dozens of missions in different star systems. There’s a lot to do and it looked very open-ended. My concerns were assuaged, and I no longer had any doubts about my preorder. Three weeks to go.

Edit: I should mention that the actual combat looked solid, but we knew that already.

Yeah, it looks like you can have a great time managing your merc company. Some nice touches with the shipboard coms announcements that run in the back ground. One was about a bacteria infection. I wonder if you send lance members on shore leave? :)

How does the combat compare to MechCommander?

Wasn’t Mech Commander an RTS? This is turn based and more closely grounded in the pen and paper, from what I’ve heard.

Also, came here to post this:

I hate that streamers/tubers are getting the game now when i have to wait a whole month for it :(

By month you mean 17 sleeps? :)

But yeah, I’d love to be playing now too.

My mind is still in march.

This isnt hyping, this is torture.

I have to admit, the campaign system is looking more robust than I expected. Despite my love of BattleTech, I backed with some reluctance given HBS’ treatment of Shadowrun.

Re: The preordering poll above:

No one called me out on my misspelling on the first option there. GAH!

I closed the poll. Although opinions are mixed there are slightly more who think preordering is a good idea. I doubt that would happen on this forum with very many games these days so I’m taking it as a good sign.

Thank you all for voting! $32 on GMG with their APRIL20 code. So I went ahead and bit. Of course this means you’re all screwed because I have bad luck with preordering. :P

I hope that terrain/elevation/line of sight is important in this game, and that there are more than a few types of each.

The lawsuit is over at least against Hairbrained. It was dismissed with prejudice which means it can not be brought again.

Fuck Harmony Gold with a rusty spike.