Battletech by Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns)

I keep hitting the Battletech icon in my desktop hoping that it will start :(

Heh. I did it twice. Once after the preload and then on my desktop.

And I’m preloading! Also, Steam had a link to a PC Gamer article today on the books - pretty timely:

I chugged through the Grey Death Legion out of nostalgia before this comes out. It’s pretty terrible as a book series to be honest. I also think that the combat part has aged poorly. Good guy light mechs just hold their own against heavy lances and then good guys annihilate heavies.

That sounds pretty good. I’m not familiar with Battletech at all. I like when LOS is modeled if done well.

You might want to check out Das Tactic’s “Is The Game For You” video linked above, but I would start about halfway through when he discusses the single player campaign.

Thanks! Just started watching it.

GOG keys can be redeemed now, but there’s still the caption on the game listing itself… :(

Got a code for a shadow Hawk skin from backerkit page that’s now visible, but no idea what to do with it.

Does this get entered to activate in the game itself once it launches at a guess?

I think so. You’ll need a Paradox account.

I still have a few minutes left, but this is a pretty nice little video with some tips on combat.

Yep, just created one, thanks.

Lots of good game mechanic points made, but I’ll forget them, I certainly hope there’s a manual PDF that’s fairly detailed, or am I going to be stuck with a wiki (god I hope not)?

Thanks for that. I’m sure I’ll forget most of it by tomorrow, but as a Battletech novice, it was very informative.

So GOG is telling me I have 12 hours to wait until I can download. I won’t even be able to kick off the download before I go to work tomorrow. Damn.

Yeah, I think 1 PM Eastern the usual line of demarcation for Steam.

Eurogamer like, RPS find a bit wearing.

I do hate long animations in turn-based games after I’ve seen them all a hundred times. Hopefully there’s a patch or mod by the time I start to get tired of them.

Another review.

The AI is clever, human-like in spots, and utterly merciless.

the moment all your 70-90% hit chances miss a target and an enemy gets a lucky shot from miles away those XCOM memories will flood back.

Battletech is XCOM with Mechs, combined with Firefly and Game of Thrones. Excuse me while I mop the drool from my keyboard.

Here’s another good guide for novices, including tips on how to conduct the campaign.

As to missing 90% CTH shots, I, for one, am looking forward to the “OMG The dice are loaded” threads that will inevitably appear.