Battletech by Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns)

Heh. I’ve been so badly out-leveled by the other pilots that I’m by far the least effective Mechwarrior in my own unit.

How come when I melee I also shoot sometimes?

I think it only works with certain weapons, but I have noticed that as well. Usually it’s after something is dead and my mech shoots its smoldering corpse

Support weapons (flamers, machine guns, small lasers) fire automatically after melee attacks.

Support weapons shoot when you melee (small laser, mgs, flamer). Also support weapons ignore evasion pips. On top of all of that if you melee and have support weapons you remove 2 evasion pips, one for melee one for support fire. Sensor Lock followed by a melee with support can strip 4 pips for your remaining mechs to take advantage of.

Nvidia drivers 4/25/2018
“Provides the optimal gaming experience for BattleTech and FrostPunk”

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/133648/en-us

Hmmm. Various thoughts.

One thing that keeps coming to my mind are the overall discussions about Battletech’s imbalances and rule flakiness. All of the cool old grognards, of course, remember the time when BT was pretty much thought of as kiddie crap: a dorky rule sets covered with clingy chrome. The old USElessNET attitude of “what, is <insert hardcore nukes, NATO, or Nazis> game too hard for you, pussy? Then go play BT with the KIDS, lol.”

Of course, 30+ years later, even the hardest of hard core grogs have to admit that smashing giant robots together is a pretty good conceit, and well worth the hand-wavium and utter nonsense that BT brings to the table. (E.g. 60 ton tanks are pretty much just as good, and cheaper, than a 60 ton mech… but nowhere near as cool).

Anyway…

BT’s computer conversion is solid, and the simplification to “two bar” (move-fire, or just fire) action sequence is very welcome in a game that groans under the chrome it has built up over the years. Not everyone enjoys counting MPs, and I must admit I may have outgrown that myself.

Controlling the action is Just Fine. I don’t have a problem with manually toggling weapons. Target selection feels a little clunky

There’s a weird mix of what the UI presents and what it doesn’t present, what it informs you about, and what it doesn’t inform you about. I would dearly love a weapon range circle option, because there’s been times when the ranges just don’t make sense… as in “I could have sworn that I was optimal LRM range” circles. The game also needs to make clear when a move will lead to melee, or a jump to DFA. But this all just leads to…

The game cries out for a decent, comprehensive tutorial or a good manual. As a player of BT since 1988, I was able to dive into the game at a sprint, even when it tossed new concepts (like building up various statuses on a 'mech) at me. I suspect that a lot of the less positive reviews out there come from folks who have never rolled 2d6 on a DFA piloting roll, which isn’t their fault. They probably also had friends they sat next to at school lunch, too. BT’s designers should have made more of an effort to reach these millennial dirtbags, since they’re the next generation of 2d6 rollers.

The cinematics don’t bother me.

The fluff is great.

I’m pretty sure that I can put my old copy of Battlefort on the Amiga to rest after many, many years. Sleep well, old friend.

I think you’re spot on, with this.

Just installed the new Nvidia drivers. Since I don’t install Geforce Experience I hadn’t updated my drivers in a while.

This is getting dangerously close to my day job. I need to shoot something with an autocannon to snap out of it.

Do you mean in the game, or…?

It’s not really a fair complaint for @TimJames to make, since his day job is literally managing a company of mercenary mech pilots.

No Smoke Jaguar sigil 3/10

You should be able to right-click to uninstall components as well.

I have to say I really appreciate the hard point thing. I lucked into an Orion, and my first thought was “imma load this guy down with lasers and maybe a couple of ACs” but it only has 4 beam weapon hardpoints. Maybe at some future point I’ll be able to pick and choose the individual components but I like having the restriction.

In that direction lies omnimechs, dual heat sinks, and OP madness

Amen.

So say we all.

Can any step forward and claim that the Timber Wolf is not the coolest looking mech in Battletech? If you can look youreslf in the mirror and hate the MadCat, then there is no hope for you. But for those that accept the beauty of the MadCat, or the Stormcrow, or Thor any of the other mechs, then perhaps you will find redemption and accept the light and glory that is 3050.

All hail the Double Heatsink, the Endoskelton frame, the C3 computer. Thunder rounds, and LB-X 10s, Streak SRMs and more.

Anyway, I forgot that Gauss Rifles were considered LosTech, which sucks. I really wanted to have a Mech with one of those.

Just wanted to say for all you fans that after the first Merc tutorial mission the only Mech undamaged, and with the most kills, was the Shadow Hawk. It’s kind of a perfect low intensity Mech. For Real Combat I’m going to want something with much higher burst damage but for stomping Periphery scum it’s great.

Now i have to fix up that stupid Vindicator. Also apparently when that Blackjack overheats it almost never cools down. And if you jump every turn with the Spider you almost can’t keep up with the heat. While ole’ Shadow just never heats up.

I looked up that twinked Kintaro and it originally had a Beagle Probe which i guess they didn’t implement so they put the tonnage into more SRMs. Man that thing was Death On Legs.

Also talk to your shipmates, as they explain a few differences from TT. So apparently there are “extra good” weapons that have better performance than standard equipment, and that there are also sensors, reinforced cockpits etc to find.

I need an Urbanmech now. Also have to find an Orion - my personal mech from TT days.