Battletech by Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns)

I’m screaming up the Chick Parabola and have gotten a lot better after nearly bankrupting my company. I love giant robots beating each other up so hopefully at the top of the parabola I will find a steady state plateau. :)

Good to hear!

I was hooked on the ridiculous idea of bipedal machines controlled by bipedal meat puppets the first time I played Rockem Sockem Robots. (Although the red guy had a glass chin.)

uninstalling and re-installing made it work :)

sometimes, not always, but sometimes, I frag Tom on accident.

I’m in the middle of scratching turn based itch with X-Com 2 Chosen. I highly doubt I’ll be in that mood once I’ve finished… my genre enthusiasm cycles.

I do love Mechwarrior games, mostly from playing MW3 and 4. Load outs and whatnot are just worlds of fun for me. This appeals to me more than killing aliens with soldiers, but I am enjoying XCom2.

Question then; Does this game compare favorably to XCom2? Would I be significantly downgrading if I jumped ship and switched to Battletech?

This is one of those games that I keep thinking about during the day at work.

I’m going to go through a withdrawal period soon because I leave on Sunday to fly across country to Washington state for a week-long conference. I’m not sure if I can go that long without seeing some hot sexy LRM salvos.

Okay I hit my first spike!

Apparently the skull difficulty rating is imperfect intelligence. Talking to the dude gives you hints like “it could be more difficult than you expect.” I went into a 2.5 skull mission (titled Settling a Grudge). I bring 3 mecs.

Geeezz! I face 4-5 mecs on one front, some of which I’d never seen before. Then I am also flanked by 2-3 light mecs from another end. I try but blow up and decide that yes, I will save scum. Okay, repair a bit try again with full 4 mecs. I can do this!

NOPEEEEE.

I think I will have to do that withdraw thing. I guess the rep hit will be less than abandoning the contract entirely. Points for participation, right? I guess there’s a reason the payoff was 800k.

Cancelling contract = very bad
Withdrawing without killing something or doing an objective = bad
Withdrawing after killing something and doing at least one objective = not so bad

I saw James Allen complaining about an unfair mission in his Youtube review involving about 8 enemy mechs to his 4, and it sounds like the same one. Maybe the difficulty will get tweaked.

Turn on SHOW UI DURING ATTACKS - that way you get to see which place you hit!

I must of missed it, what is this show UI you speak of?

You can’t take The Black Company I was going to take the Black Company! :( :( :(

Dibs. But I will license you a sub franchise to operate in some parts of the inner sphere that I don’t like. :)

I am absolutely loving Battletech and I think it holds its own against Xcom2.

That said, it depends on what you are looking for.

Currently Battletech does not have the AAA polish that XCOM 2 does (especially after all of XCOM’s support, patches, War of the Chosen Update, and available mods), so expect some rough edges. The tactical battle pacing may not be as snappy as XCOM’s (YMMV), and there are some problems with ultrawide 21:9 aspect ratio support. While I have really appreciated the aesthetic design with Battletech the graphical presentation will not quite be on par with XCOM 2.

XCOM has greater unit variety with all the different alien types, zombies, humans, and even the different classes of your own troops each with different weapons, behaviors, and specials. Battletech has a lot of variety in mechs but they will all be using variations of loadouts from the same (but deep) weapon pool.

For Battletech the strategic layer is much deeper than I anticipated and you can really go all-in on mech loadout customization if you wish. You start with a decent pool of weapons and equipment, then pick up more via “Salvage” after winning missions (which involves picking some priority pieces from a list and getting others by a random roll), and you can purchase further weapons, equipment, and mechs from system stores and the inventory will change from system to system.

Battletech provides a fun interplay between overlapping systems of how your mechs are specced, the skills/stats of the mechwarriors you pair them with, and how you use the resulting synergies on the tacitcal battlefield. Do you pair a mechwarrior with “Sensor Lock” with a mobile light mech and do a risky scout far in advance to gain a lock and allow your rear mechs to soften up distant targets with their LRMs or do you play it safer and put that “Sensor Lock” mechwarrior in a beefier mech with more armor allocation and treat it as more of a brawler getting up close to the enemy’s front line.

Maybe I’m not the best player but in Battletech you have to expect and be comfortable with taking a sizeable amount of damage to your mechs during a fight and dealing with the way that changes things. In XCOM taking an equivalent amount of team injuries would be a more devastating setback so they are different flavors of high-tension tactical skirmishes.

Ultimately theme may be the deciding factor as to which way you go.

I will add the personally, I had the same reaction to Battletech that I did with XCOM (1 and 2) when I started playing I was hooked and stopped playing all other games and distractions. I see myself playing Battletech for the long-haul and not much of anything else.

I was just about to post that. Seeing the damage you do in real time is nice.

Also, be on the lookout for “hidden” objectives. I just took out a pirate base, and received a 10% bonus for destroying the turrets (which I only did for self-preservation).

Thanks man! I need all the help I can get.

That was a great AAR :) Thanks for sharing!

@AntediluvianArk gives a much better reply to your question than I could hope to give…but I do want to add that XCOM 2 WotC is a fantastic game and well worth finishing. Your order of attack is, of course, your own business. :)