Battletech by Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns)

There is a button on the top right of the refit screen to max armor. I use it all the time after dealing with weapons and the rest.

AC/2’s are great for anti-aircraft stuff in battletech. Otherwise…

The reality is that they have just insane long range ability but it is basically never useful as far as I can tell somehow, but they have a min range of 4 which is where it seems like my fights end up…

I was away on business for the last few days and was only able to play last night.

8 hours later I finally went to bed.

I am enjoying this as much as I thought I would. I can see he game is going to have the same issues that normal Battletech does (at least without a good GM) were light mechs become fairly useless in the typical slug-fests that most board games devolve into. I am not a huge fan of the art style and the UI is not the greatest. Load times are slow.

The core of the game though is exactly what I want and I am happy to see some of my old tricks working. For instance I always liked stripping the SRMs from a 25 ton Commando and loading it up with 2 LRM 5s plus more armor. Use it to scout, mark the targets and slowly lure them back to a kill zone. I was able to do that last night and it was a blast. Another old trick of mine was simply using the firestarter in any hot climate. I was able to put mechs out of commission by simply running up to them and blasting away with my flamers at short range. It is the easiest way to put a Panther out of commission and that even works on a Marauder or Warhammer if you can jump them in close enough. If they try firing their PPCs they will just cook themselves.

Is there… any sort of indicator that tells you a “friendly” dropship will land on the position you’re currently occupying? Because I just finished some mission goals and a stupid ship squished two of my pristine mecs.

But sensor lock is not a Light Mech thing, its a mechwarrior skill. The only real advantage would be the speed to get out of different situations.

Yes, there’s an indicator, just like when you hover over forest/rough/radioactive/mineral points.

Wait what? GAME CHANGER!

I’m conflicted about flanking vs. grouping. I will compare it to XCOM.

In XCOM there are grenades. You do not clump. If 2 targets can be nadded, the AI will choose to do so. In XCOM you don’t flank either because you spawn new pods which is terribly annoying.

In Mechwarrior you don’t spawn new pods. However, a light mec doesn’t seem to have enough of a punch to backstab someone succesfully (depends on the light mec I guess. Firestarter is pretty fun and the heat prevents counters)

However, most of the time it seems you’re better off concentrating fire so you can strip off armor.

Maybe 2 one side and 2 another side is a good position. 2 mecs is enough to put significant damage on one flank.

It’s the first skill on the tactician skill thingie.

Yeah I have it I just erroneously assumed I needed a light mec as well. Now I can get rid of more mecs into storage. These maintenance costs are killing me.

I had to crib my collection as well. What’s nice is that they sell really well

Are you able to sell partially salvaged mechs? They didn’t seem to show up in the sell portion of the store for me.

To sell the mec has to be in storage afaik. Incomplete mecs are not in storage.

41 hours in and the biggest tip I’ll give people is always check Brisbane for new gear/mechs. It’s the center of the universe for LosTech. Highlanders are the best all around mechs for movement, armor, and hard points. I use nothing but AC20+ (AC20+++ if I can find them), LRM+, or SRM++ (or SRM+++ if I can find them). Spread out the double heat sinks. I tried to keep them all on one mech and making a pew pew mech and was always disappointed with the performance. You just don’t need the range that comes with Gauss Rifles or the range or heat with a PPC so the giant punch of the AC20 is preferable. There was almost never, ever a time where I couldn’t hit with an AC20 and needed the range of a PPC/Gauss. I max Gunnery first, the breaching ability is so worth it.

All IMHO of course.

Though today the game won’t even start for me. Immediate crash. WTF?

I read that the ETA for a fix for crashes is ~48 hours.

Just an aside on light mech tactics: you can put them in reserve, and then they’ll effectively get two turns in a row (going in the last phase of the first turn, and the first phase of the next turn). This can be quite useful in specific circumstances.

He likes it now

Working now. Either there was another new nVidia driver, or I didn’t finish installing the last driver.

My award for most worthless mech in the universe is the 95 ton Banshee. I spent TWO hours save scumming until I could take it out. The first minute of that two hours was a lucky headshot that removed 95% of the armor on the head. Then I decided fuck it, I’ll just keep making precision shots until I get the last little bit. Two hours later I finally got it. I was so excited when I opened it up in my mech bay only to discover the stupid mech has THREE weapon hard points! THREE!!! One ballistic, 2 energy. Blech. What a waste of time.

But aren’t they, like, BIG hard points?