Batwoman - CW's take on Kate Kane

“I hope they don’t make Bruce Wayne a rich guy, that would really make him one-dimensional.”

It’s totally understandable to not know every detail of Batwoman. But maybe when told “hey man that’s who the character is” you should say “Oh, ok” instead of doubling down on THE SJWS ARE ATTACKING ME.

I really don’t know what to say in response to “I think DC saying a character is gay makes that character one-dimensional, and by the way I don’t know anything else about this character” beyond “uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok fine.”

1. This would be a perfectly reasonable statement from somebody who does not really know the Iron Man character. Well, if that somebody for some reason wouldn’t want a character to be rich (???)

2. You prove that you have not understood at all what I’m saying. If “being rich” was the only defining “character trait” of Bruce Wayne, then we’d have a comparable situation. I wouldn’t say your sentence just as I wouldn’t say they shouldn’t make a character gay - I even went in saying I don’t care about their sexuality. A point you conveniently ignored for whatever reason.

Why would I? If the character is as one-dimensional as you say, then that is just a badly written character - as if that never happened in comics or anywhere else.

Something which I never said. You are the one who is, and from the very beginning of this, quite hostile against me and trying to put a lot of words in my mouth - for a reason probably only you know.

Here’s how this looks to me: You saw a negative statement in which a character’s sexuality played a part and immediately jumped the “homophobe!” gun. And that’s quite silly as it couldn’t be further from the truth.

I mean if the general shoe-category fits. . . (as Armando struggles not to bring other threads’ fights into this one, in part because that’s the rules, and in part because he’s too lazy to be bothered looking up the last three loony coincidentally aaaalmost-alt-right aligned positions you took up the Good Fight on).

Batwoman isn’t really a one-dimensional character, but her sexuality is certainly a defining dimension of her persona in the modern comics interpretation, and the CW show flows from that. Given the State of Things Circa 2019, it’s a pretty rich vein to mine, along with all the other typical superhero soap opera tropes that CW is sure to dredge up from literally every other supers show it produces :P

Yes, yes, everything that isn’t far-left is alt-right. I got it. Broken record, etc.
You know what’s funny? Nobody asked me any actual direct political questions, to even check and see what my stance is on them. It seems quite a few just assume to know what my stance is based on me not agreeing 100% with their own… Frankly, it is quite annoying.

Well, that sounds a lot better. Leaves some room for things to turn out well.

I’m glad that you’re familiar with my stances, as well :)

I wish I was as familiar with Voldo’s stances… I just can’t stop getting my ass handed to me in Soulcalibur VI and my hand hurts… Okay, too off-topic. I’ll shut up now.

If you’ve ever wondered what Rachel Maddow would look like beating people up, look no further. They could be stunt doubles.

No need to fight guys - there’s more than enough awfulness for all of us

Ow, the cringe!
When the song went “Here I come! I’m a woman!” right after she said something edgy… wow. Just wow.
This could be hilarious, though, with some friends and some drinks.

I wish the trailer had more of her wearing the red Batman suit and wig, we only got a glimpse of her that way.

I am wondering though, wasn’t that guy her dad that she was flirting with when calling herself handsome?

It’s no surprise that a gay female superhero who makes her sexual identity a part of the character would incense you. We get it. Everyone needs to know their place, and as long as they don’t “shove it in your face” it’s ok, right?

I do kindof love the idea of you hate-watching the show to own the Libs.

No, completely wrong, just as pretty much everything you wrote.
As always, you haven’t got the foggiest idea of what someone else is thinking, but it doesn’t seem to matter to you as long as you can freely paint them as sexist, homophobic or whatever else comes to mind.

How anyone can watch that trailer and not find it way, way too try-hard and edgy is beyond me. The ratio kinda speaks for itself, really.

I think they confused Batwoman for Catwoman.

Ha, I thought Ruby Rose was an inspired casting choice. Liked her in JW2.

The New 52 Batwoman run I read painted her as completely alienated from Batman, to the point where I wondered why she would want to associate herself with “the Bat.” Wonder where this will fall.

To me this looks like lazy gender swapping.
Same suit, batcave, gadgets etc.
But maybe Ridlley Scott got it all wrong and instead of Prometheus he should have remade Alien with a gay Allen Ripley.

The existence of this show threatens all shows with heterosexual characters in them that were ever created. /s

This show is getting a surprisingly large amount of comments. I wish everyone would keep in mind that this is a CW show. It’s probably made for young people. If you are on QT3, you are probably not the target audience.

It’s for young adults and kids, not old white people.

As for Batwomen, I only learned about the character recently from one of the Batman movies that came out in the last few years.

My understanding is that her past relationships are a big part of what makes Batwoman work, much like Batman’s parents being gunned down was a defining piece of backstory. That being the case, her sexuality plays a big role, since you can’t have a former girlfriend get kidnapped without acknowledging that she is gay.

ok sorry

Definitely true. They also gave her a family tragedy (mom, sister) but the sexuality is a big component of her backstory as well. The biggest piece of this, IMHO, is that Kate Kane comes from a family with a strong military background, wants to continue that herself, but is forced out of that career because of her sexuality. Because of that, she’s forced to find another way to satisfy her drive to make the world a better place. You ask me, that’s better than the Bruce Wayne story that doesn’t try to work within the system. Kate tries, but isn’t allowed to stay, and that drives her to the vigilante life. (All of which is based on the comic version, of course, who knows what weirdness CW will pull with the story.)

Woohoo, I guess this makes me young then, since I watch more CW than any other network on tv.

And I am looking forward to this show.