Bayonetta

O will say that I don’t feel so bad with my first pass being sub-optimal. This game has a surprising number of “gotcha” deaths, of the giant-boulder/falling off cliffs type. Theyre easy to avoid if you know where they are, but they’re annoying the first time through.

The best thing Bayo 2 did was use fewer gotcha QTEs (none?) and shorter, less annoying driving/flying sections.

Played this one through in quick two week burst… that’s quick, for me. What a bonkers game. Have to say that I enjoyed it more than I really should have. The Gaudi-esque architecture was a pleasure.

The combat is super fun, but I have to say, I could have had twice as much battling with the little minion guys and half the boss battles. I never felt I had enough time to learn the combo ropes and get in a groove of destruction before I’m in another titanic boss fight with his own rules and attacks I can’t track or predict. It nice you can replay any chapter, but each one has so many cinematics and boss fights… I just wanna slice some little angel dudes.

Loved the random jazzy music video at the end. So self indulgent, and yet somehow, it made me smile.

Totally agree! However, I found when replaying chapters that I could get through the bosses relatively quickly on the second playthrough. That plus skipping cutscenes halves the length of chapters!

You could at least try hard difficulty to see if you like it. The attacks are much faster so you have to speed up your rhythm.

Back/select/- plus R2 skips cutscenes.

I have Bayonetta 2, as well as the two DarkSiders games to hit next in the backlog. Hopefully I can capitalize on muscle memory and apply what I learnt going forward. I think B1 was a great playthrough, but nothing I need to do over right away. Even with cinematic skipping, I feel there wasn’t ever a nice zen-like stretch of minion bashing, other than maybe ch.3, in the town piazza.

My wife commented how everyone’s head was way too small, and she’s right, all the characters are like 9 heads tall. I think it helps mitigate the sexuality a bit, like you’re watching heroically proportioned gods flirt, rather than real people. Beyond the fact they’re all ridiculous caricatures, of course. Still, ballsy game design, wonder if they could do it now, ten years later given the cultural landscape of recent years… lets’ see bayonetta 3, I suppose. I hear Lady Gaga likes the series!

I want to continue the Bayonetta 1 discussion on the 3 thread but this seems more appropriate.

Anyway because of the hooha over 3 I digged 1 out of the backlog in PC and want to see what I am missing. This game is completely bonkers. Bayonetta is hypersexualised to a point that it is not sexist but ridiculous. The cutscenes are so god-awful they are not awful anymore, but “artistic”. The DMC gameplay is fine, though given Rocksteady’s Batman series giving those brawlers a real run for their money, Bayonetta is still stuck in the DMC mold.

Will I buy a switch just to play 2 and 3? Nah.