BBC Creates Another Dirk Gently Show

This time, starring Elijah Wood and Samuel Barnett as Todd and Dirk. I. . . actually don’t care much for how the trailer looks (seems like it’s trying really super hard to tap into the leftover Matt Smith fanboys pining for that sort of thing), but hey, anything for more Adams adaptations!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_d1kIpHbz4

Hopefully it goes better than the last adaptation (circa 2010, which apparently got shitcanned after 4 episodes!

Wait, BBC already created another Dirk Gently show? Man, they sure are brave. Hitchhiker’s guide was so abstract at times, and Dirk Gently even more so. But they did a good job with Hitchhiker’s Guide. When did they make the original Dirk Gently show?

It was apparently decently well received, but BBC4 switched focus to foreign programming and the Beeb moved all original work to One and Two, but DG didn’t make the jump back then and got canned.

I kinda like the look of this older one a little more, so I guess I have 4 episodes to catch up on now :)

Huh, I remember I liked the books but I haven’t read them since they were published in what, late 80s, early 90s? Will this be on BBC America?

I wouldn’t expect this to hew too closely to the books. Max Landis puts his stamp on everything he touches. Plots are likely to be disappointing, given the value of seeming coincidence in the stories. But it could be an effective vector for character comedy. Certainly, Elijah Wood’s last show, Wilfred, was excellent at that.

Hmm. I really like the old one, what little there is of it. Not convinced about this, but then again I don’t trust trailers anyway.

I enjoyed the 4 episode, not great but enjoyable, especially considering the tiny budget they had.

Counter to my usual pattern every step of the way, I was super excited about the original TV series launch, was somewhat more than just satisfied with what they actually managed to pull off (taking various things into account, etc.) and despite (and not because of!) my disappointment after that series failed and the long gap between then and now, I am now also somewhat enthusiastic and optimistic about this new series, although perhaps not quite as much so as I might have been had Stephen Mangan still been involved, and certainly not as much as I was for the first series for more general reasons.

I’m just saying this based on what I saw in the trailer, which despite having questions I also liked based on what little I saw. *

* Despite an inexcusable lack of Schrödinger’s cat. **

** No, the mere presence of a cat does not satisfy the requirement for a Schrödinger’s cat!

“I am not your Watson, asshole!” -MacDuff ***

*** Take that, Mr. Cumberbatch!

I just finished binge watching Dirk Gently’s Holistic Det. Agency and it was awesome! Think Monty Python blended well with Dr Who. The series takes the concept of Dirk and weaves in bits and pieces of the book but it is totally different from the novel. One of the differences is the addition of a new character, a holistic assassin. Bart Curlish, the assassin, is frikkin great. The show is completely bizarre and baffling for 3/4 of it run and then does a great job of tying things together. The cast is excellent and you will recognize many of the faces. There are so many great roles in this show. They have already announced a season 2, so you can go into this knowing that there’s more to come.

Just watched the first episode. Quite good, but really it seemed to have very few points in common with anything Douglas Adams ever could have written.

I second the love for this show. Not so much in common with the book, but there were many LOL moments for me and I really liked how the entirely impossibly related plot points were tied together at the end.

I have had this show lingering on the DVR for a while. Glad to see that it should be worth the watch.

I never read the book, but I watched through the 8 episodes of the first series and found it a ton of fun. That was Brad Dourif’s daughter playing the psycho killer bag lady Bart Churlish or whatever the name is. And I recognized the guy from Falling Skies, and the developing relationship between those two characters was cute.

I really like the other three principals too, and am really happy to hear there’s going to be a season 2.

Just concluded a Netflix binge watch. Wow. Loved iit. At first I thought it was just being weird for weirdness’ sake, but by the end it was just clicking.

Great acting all around. Except for maybe Lydia Spring. “woof woof”

Poor detectives Zimmerfield and Estevez. They deserved better than they got.

Ive had a few days to absorb the series after my binge watch and I got to say, its the best new show on TV this year. And thats including Preacher which I also loved. So many great characters in this show. From the Rowdy 3 to the Holistic assassin and her unwilling companion. The cops were great as was the FBI agents. And when Julian McMahon shows up, damn! Ill will be watching it again to see what new stuff I can pick up. Great job, BBC!

Three episodes in - and I’m loving how bloody weird the show is. (Note: I don’t know the books or the tv show made prior this.) Top-notch cast, too.

Is this available online anywhere? I see Netflix mentioned above, but I don’t see it on mine (region locked maybe)?

I’m watching it on Netflix, but yep: apparently, this seems to be the case.

Quite honestly, it actually gets better.

It’s been available on Amazon Video for at least a couple of weeks.