BBC:Frozen Planet

If I have one complaint with the … Planet series it’s the use of sound. It started with Blue Planet and I think it’s equally obvious here that the sound department have been layering it on a bit thick where it doesn’t need it.

Otherwise it’s everything you’d expect. HD camera work that really makes me wish I’d drugged the Mrs and got something bigger than a 32" screen, breath taking footage of stuff you thought you knew and a whole bunch of other things you didn’t.

Glad I’m not the only one who notices this. At the very least it would be nice if they didn’t draw from stock sound effect libraries quite so often.

When you see it, I hope you haven’t played WoW when the polar bear sequences come on. It may be that WoW uses Polar/Grizzly bear samples for their sound effects, but it sounds… how should I put it, cheap.

Yeah, I spotted the WoW bear roar too :) They’re big fans of making noises for tiny slow-moving sea creatures, too.

Just how good/scary were those orca? Jesus!

I have always noticed that their mix has been a bit off.

I’ll forgive some of the dodgy sound effects if they keep getting shots like those.

I love the BBC Planet series, but I always feel like the sound effects guys have too long of a leash.

Glad it’s not just me, I did wonder when I posted it whether I’d just be told I was mental or something.

I think you’ve got a point there.

At a risk of being in bad taste to make a point no-one dubbed the wilhelm scream onto the World Trade Centre Tower Jumpers to add emphasis so why add a stock “bear growl” to make up for the cameras, presumably, being half a mile away to capture what is still incredible footage? Ultimately the fake soundtrack distracts from the footage. Attenborough’s commentary, perhaps with a low key musical background (though blue planet really overused music as a replacement for actual sound for me) would have done rather than a stock sound effect.