BBC's Planet Earth

They read the bible you know.

Pegnuins, not people in the BBC, they’re godless heathens.

Episode 7 features a lot of interesting things most have never seen before. Covering the Great Plains of our world an its one real commodity (grass), features some unusual environments (the Tibetan Plateau) and even more unusual animal behavior (the night-time encounter of elephants and lions at a waterhole is jaw-dropping).

Slightly unhappy that they, a series in which overlap of certain areas is inevitable, re-use bits of footage, though mostly from the first episode (which is very much an overview). Sometimes they’ll obviously take footage from the same area, but from a different take, which is okay… It’s a wimpy pet peeve to be sure.

— Alan

I’ll be excited when this shows up on Discovery HD.

The reason I’m resurrecting this thread is that I received the box set of Blue Planet from my mum, and just watched disc 1, which is awesome. I’m hoping Planet Earth will show on Discovery here soon.

I just thought I would mention that the link to the region 1 DVD is actually an old series from the 1980s by the same name.

Does anyone know if/when an HD broadcast might be coming our way?

Will be air on the Discovery Channel starting in March. I imagine it will be simulcast (or as close as possible) on the HD channel.

I also thought that Discovery HD is having a special week starting New Years where it seems like they will air the first episode but I’m not sure if that’s true or just my imagination.

— Alan

So @Wallapuctus made me paranoid about testing the Blu-ray drive on my new Series X, so I decided to test it out by watching Planet Earth Blu-rays which I bought but never actually watched. Now, I have watched Planet Earth 2, and a few episodes here and there of the original Planet Earth when I was visiting my parents, or when I was visiting my aunt. But I’ve never actually sat down and watched the whole series from start to finish.

So even though the series is actually quite old by this point, and I was afraid it was not going to look great to me since I’ve already seen the sequel, it turns out, hey, the original Planet Earth still looks amazing! Made it partway through the first episode last night. Brrrrrrr. The King Penguins endure some heavy cold.

There’s a new BBC Attenborough show — A Perfect Planet. Not watched it yet as I only just found out about it, but it seems the buzz is good. For some reason I never find out about these shows until the last minute, despite my iPlayer watchlist being almost entirely Attenborough shows.

Wikipedia says it’s on Discovery+ in the US.

And another Attenborough show Life in Colour.

The latest Attenborough show, The Mating Game, had some very cool caiman behaviour that @krayzkrok may be familiar with. Here’s some non-Attenborough footage of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2ucuqHLOi8

New Attenborough!

Focused on plants, with lots of very cool time lapse photography, but also with a fair amount of animals too.

And another

New Attenborough, this time looking at the UK (and Ireland?)

I wonder when we’ll see this on a regular streaming service in the U.S.

It’s on PBS I think

I just checked the PBS app on my phone. It is indeed! Yay!

BBC produces some excellent stuff but are too quick to self-censor. First the excellent Modhi documentary that India protested and made disappear and now this.

Not to mention the whole Gary Lineker thing.

— Alan

New Netflix Attenborough dropping tomorrow:

Awesome. I looooooved Our Planet. This will be the first thing I watch the next time I subscribe to Netflix.