Beat Metroid Prime?

I’m thinking the QdQ-people were faster compared to optimal time for the game in question.

Well, with QDQ they had Quake’s demo system working in their favor. If i remember correctly, they did each Quake map individually and chained them together with demo editing tools.

Oh yes. I wonder how many times they replayed each map to get the best possible time.

This is not only illogical, but just plain false.

I’ve known many a folk who approached tabletop RPGs with the sole purpose of creating a memorable character and playing them within the confines of their character idea. A virtuous paladin, for example, might think nothing of dying as long as it let the party accomplish a monumental goal.

Sure, I suppose you can define that as a “winning” condition, but there’s still no implicit or explicit idea of competition involved. His goal is to remain true to his characterization, not to remain superlative true to his characterization than object.

For a bit more concrete example, after recently acquiring GTA3 for my PS2, I find that I’m playing the game by loading up the game and running around, learning to drive, playing with the way different vehicles handle, then stopping to beat up/shoot random passers by until I end up getting offed. Eventually I’m sure I’ll make a concerted effort to work up the mission tree again, but does that mean that I’m not playing a game in the meantime?

I accept that to you games are about competition, but they simply aren’t to everyone. And claiming that they must be in order for the industry to be in a good state is tenuous. Building a character just to play around with different skill tree ideas in Diablo II is still playing a game, as is trying to put together a cool theme park in sandbox mode in Roller Coaster Tycoon or seeing how long your sims can go unattended without totally veering off course in The Sims.

Too much free time or not, it’s their hobby of choice. Maybe it is a form of competition, but more likely these players simply derive entertainment value from the extra challenge.

Of course, the real question: Is it art?

runs away

• Alan

What’s more lame? Finding the way to beat MEtroid Prime in an hour and a half with 100% items, or arguing about how lame that person doing is?

Option C: Coming on to a game messageboard and acting like jaded pseudo-intellectuals with some thinly veiled, passive-agressive judgement schtick where any gamer not playing “right” is an asshole and anyone who shoots your incredibly pretentious argument down is automatically a troll.