Beauty and the Beast - Live action, Emma Watson as Belle

I thought I had read/heard that Mulan was in the works to, but it isn’t mentioned in that article.

ugh. Emma is just dang gorgeous! <3

So has anyone seen the recent french version? Looks quite elaborate

yes, but did they have dancing candelabras…

I think it would be very, very hard to make the Little Mermaid’s tail look convincing and beautiful instead of cheap and / or gross. It would have to have a very significant CG budget, which I assume would be be a turnoff for Disney.

Ariana Grande as Ariel.

Not that I would want to see that or anything…

Huh? Jungle Book?

I assumed that part of the appeal of these princess movies are relatively low post production costs compared to things like the jungle book or all the marvel films. But, I could be totally wrong on that, especially if they do go full talking teacups route on Beauty and the Beast.

Regardless, I dont think that the mermaid tail is a solved problem, artistically, regardless is cost.

I thought they did a good job with the mermaids in the 4th Pirates of the Caribbean movie. I actually do think you’re right about a live action version of The Little Mermaid being an artistic nightmare, but I think the mermaid tail would be the easiest part. The ocean is a dark, dank, nasty place, and trying to make it bright / cheerful while also being realistic would be a tall order. Hell, you would think they’d need to add some kind of filter over every frame of the undersea shots in order to make it actually look undersea. And how would you deal with characters speaking? Would they need to put bubbles coming out of their mouths in every shot? Would it just look preposterous seeing a person talking unimpeded underwater regardless?

The more I think about it the more I question whether it could ever be done well.

This is the latest trailer:

Here’s the big news:

Seriously? Nothing yet from anyone?

No interest. But it apparently set records for opening weekend.

Went to see Logan yesterday. There were lines outside the theatre composed almost completely of small children, probably 90% female.

I would have gone, but for the fact I just moved last weekend. But my wife’s favorite Disney film is Beauty and the Beast, so almost certainly go either during the week, or next weekend.

Saw it.
It was no “La La Land” that’s for sure :) (for the record, I loved La La Land).
It was fine, or just okay, My three girls, who are 11,14,18 and wife all said it was “so-so”.
I really liked Emma Watson in “The Perks Of Being A Wall Flower”, but I just don’t think she could carry this movie. It felt like something was missing in her portrayal of Belle. I think someone like Anna Kendrick would have done a much better job in the same role.

Well, I was going to take my wife to this, and now you’ve ruined the movie.

Does Emma Watson sing?

My sister saw it. She says it’s the best live action Disney movie to date, surpasses Jungle Book. Apparently my 2.5 year old nephew actually said wow multiple times during the first 30 minutes… that it held a 2 year olds attention even that long says something.

I saw Kong Island instead, but we’ll be seeing this in a week or so with one of my older nephew (8).

We are all looking forward to seeing this in a couple weeks. Everything I have read is about how good it is, and there are bits in the animated version that are among my Disney favorites.

Looking only at the trailers, this strikes me as being the peak of unnecessary adaptations (from a creative perspective). It looks like a direct, almost shot for shot remake of the animated version.

At least with Cinderella, they had to add content to fill out the running time, because the animated Cinderella is about 60% cartoon mice sewing and/or running from a cartoon cat.

On the other hand, having re-watched the animated BatB recently, it doesn’t hold up all that well, so maybe an update to make it closer to the versions I people’s memories isn’t a bad call.

I’m sure it’ll make tons of money though.

I haven’t watched the animated version in about 5 or 6 years. How does it not hold up for you?

Curious as well, as we recently watched it as well. It held up as well as I remember, which is to say I was never hugely fond of it.

The animations are a bit less detailed than I recalled, though. You can see that, especially compared to The Lion King, that backgrounds and even faces are flatter and less detailed than you’d think. At least that was my impression.