Beer & Pretzel Wargaming

We have some hardcore gangsta grognards here on the board. However, I believe that there is also an interest in what is what is known as “Beer & Pretzel” games. I propose that this thread is for commentary and reviews on wargames – both cardboard and electronic – that are playable and fun in short doses, but don’t overstay their welcome, and don’t require exquisite knowledge of esoterica (I made that word up).

Note, I’m talking about wargames here. Some might consider, say, Strange Adventures in Infinite Space a wargame, but I don’t.

OK, so after that boring intro, here’s my latest picks:

Atlantic Fleet. Tactical naval surface warfare was my absolute favorite genre as a kid. Fortunately, there were some less-expensive options out there (Fire When Ready, Battlewagons,) as well as the rare expensive gift (CV). The PC has had a few options (Great Naval Battles, Fighting Steel, Jutland, et.al), but never something as streamlined and fun as Atlantic Fleet. The game focuses on the important parts of naval warfare: where to move, and where to lay your heavy guns. It’s a turn-based affair that has all of the numbers, but discreetly keeps those numbers out of sight. It’s not perfect; carrier operations are clumsily handled, and subs are ridiculously OP, but the huge wealth of units and scenarios (including a dynamic campaign) make this the best little wargame I’ve played in a while. Oh yeah, it looks great, too.

Sid Meier’s Ace Patrol/Pacific Skies: I think Sid played a lot of TSR’s old Dawn Patrol back in the day, because these two games are, for all intents and purposes, Dawn Patrol. I played a lot of that game back in the day, too, so these two little nuggets of turn-based air combat are right up my alley. There’s some silliness – I don’t recall women in front-line combat in the air forces depicted – but they are still nifty little games.

The Battle Academy series is another wargame that, I think, doesn’t get enough love.

Let’s state the obvious ones first…

Unity of Command is probably the most obvious answer for computer wargames. A little bit puzzle-like, but really good.

On cardboard both Ogre and its single player cousin Astra Titanus are pretty good and play fast. One versus many games, but definitely wargames. Astra Titanus is more limited in scope, lacking the myriad expansions and stuff Ogre has, but I think it might be the better game, with even simpler rules than ogre (I like the movement rules for the non-Titan ships a lot).

Other than those, it’s hard to define a Beer and Pretzels board wargame. Is it playing time or rules density that define it? Most of the time (except for monsters) these go in different directions, with the most streamlined rules playing long due to having many units and the most complex rules allowing for small and fast but still interesting scenarios. For example, Napoleon’s Thriump is pretty fast to play and has few rules, and so does Age of Napoleon. Both are pretty light compared to most wargames, but still take 3 hours to play and ultimately I wouldn’t call them Beer and Pretzels in the same way the other ones are. I recently player the Barbarossa Campaign (VPG solitaire) and while it has quite a few rules and concepts, it is extremely B&Pish compared to other games with the same scope and subject matter.

Sekihagara probably qualifies. Rules are super simple, as is execution.

I would actually consider Unity of Command pretty groggy. When supply lines are in a game’s rules, I put away the beer & pretzels, and fire up the scotch & bathrobe. It’s subjective, I think; folks used to yawning their way through Grigsby’s latest “masterpiece” probably think UoC is basically Chutes & Ladders.

Now, Eastern Front stuff in Panzer General and its clones: pure B&P.

I think that playing time and rules density defines B&P, with playing time being the primary definition. If I can push some cardboard (or electronic cardboard) around, and satisfactorily finish a game within an hour or less, I’m good.

And then there’s weird games that fall in between the two; I’m thinking DVG’s entire line of solitaire games are B&R in complexity, yet somehow groggy when you sit down and actually play it (tons of die rolls and modifiers, chits, etc.)

Call it bourbon and ginger ale while wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

What were we talking about again?

Order of Battle is a B&P kind of wargame. Easy to learn, the systems are all pretty basic and the tutorial does a great job of teaching you everything you need to know. It has that old Panzer General feel to it as well, with units leveling up and getting more powerful as the campaign advances. The only drawback is the AI can be kind of weak, especially on attack. It can also get expensive with all the DLC.

I thought it was pretty easy to grasp, which makes it a B&P wargame for me. The problem is that it is so difficult. I never got to a point where I could win battles consistently, which is probably a good thing, but I got frustrated with a few battles where I couldn’t figure out what I was doing wrong.

I think it’s fair to consider Unity of Command to be the lightest possible hardcore wargame. I can’t say it’s also the other way around because there’s probably some B&P game that’s a big slog.

Atlantic Fleet has been sitting in my backlog for a while, now. Perhaps it’s time I gave it a closer look.

[quote=“scharmers, post:3, topic:129853, full:true”]And then there’s weird games that fall in between the two; I’m thinking DVG’s entire line of solitaire games are B&R in complexity, yet somehow groggy when you sit down and actually play it (tons of die rolls and modifiers, chits, etc.)
[/quote]

Conflict of Heroes might fit the bill too, then, and maybe some flavor of Command and Colors.

But one hour cardboard wargames are hard to come by.

Not sure how light Tank On Tank is. Need to devote some time to it at the weekend.

It’s good, but the grand campaign is really, really crying out for a ‘skip 10 turns’ or ‘autoresolve’ button (unless they added one). I made it to the end of 1941 before I ran out of steam.

For whatever reason, I couldn’t get into Atlantic Fleet. Must give it another try.

I did enjoy Battle Fleet 2, which is on the same lines but much more casual. It needs a better AI though.

Panzer Corps?

But by this definition UoC definitely qualifies. I mean, yeah, supply. But really supply is the primary mechanic, and most of the greebling associated with it are stripped out.

I absolutely put UoC in this category, and consider it the example par excellance of its contemporaries.

Vietnam '65 and Afghanistan '11 fit this category and have been well regarded.

OMG I thought you said “Atlantic Storm” and I was like yes totally! and then I saw Atlantic Fleet and was quiet again.

I always thought Commander - The Great War was a good game not too complex. UoC and Panzer General can be more like puzzles like someone mentioned.

I would toss Rule the Waves in there. It may SEEM hardcore but is actually simple.
http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/ruwaddo.html

Man, if that EVER goes on sale it’ll be mine.

To me, half the fun is tweaking your ships designs though, in some EVE-like minigame which requires a an added dose of fetishism with naval gunnery, and the game then becomes a time-consuming beast!

I’ll throw in Victory & Glory:Napoleon. It is a bit lengthy because of the game’s presentation pacing issues, but the systems are very simple, and the battle phase is like some lighter (!) Command & Colours spinoff, very exciting and rewarding.

It’s basically a cheap knock-off of Advance Wars. Not recommended though, because the AI is pants.

Another Advance Wars knock-off. This time in 3D. Not recommended. Buggy. AI is really terrible.

This one is actually okay. Looks terrible, but plays well.