Behaving badly in Thief 2

Remember the Behaving Badly in Ultima site? This is kind of the same thing, for thief 2.

http://www.azal.tk/

http://users.ncable.net.au/~abirch/Thief/Azals/framed_fire.htm

Those of you who read the Guide for Running Interference will remember that it is possible to push the AI around if you have the patience.

What you may not know is that you can also push turrets around - and it’s a good deal faster, around half normal walking speed.

The cannon turrets by the South entrance where you start the mission are stuck firmly in place, but the arrow turrets at the West entrance can both be pushed around with ease.

Now you may be wondering how to collect all the AIs in the mission if you’re not allowed to lay a finger on anyone. In order to get them all without raising a sweat you need to take advantage of four things:

1. any damage/deaths that aren’t caused by the player don’t count;
  2. the turrets don’t mind shooting through someone to get to you;
  3. you can block the AI with just two crates when they’re stacked in a doorway;
  4. the police are very tough opponents. They’ll go into search mode more easily then normal guards and stay in search mode for longer.

Set up an arrow turret just outside the door to the front office. Then stack two crates next to the doorway and venture off to find yourself some baddies.

I don’t know why this kind of thing cracks me up so much.

The highlight’s probably in Ambush, where you can make the doors of a tomb go flying off into the sky.

Humor is dead.

To each his own, I guess.

Wow - I found that pretty interesting. Not so much funny , but cool that someone has that much time on their hands to find all that stuff out.

I don’t know. It’s kind of fun to take a game and just outright master it like that, to try to find how you can break it or how you can mess around with its rules.

One of the things I don’t like about being “in the industry” is that I don’t have the time to monomaniacally focus on one game the way I used to, or the way this guy has.

I spent a lot of time amused by his site and screenshots when I played through Thief 2. Of course that was about 2 years ago. :D

No discussion of “twisting [games] into uncomfortable positions” is complete without this guy, who coincidentally has recently put up a section about Thief.