Being perma-banned...

This could happen to you/me/us and has happened to others. Think of our reliance on Apple, Google, Microsoft services…

I’m not worried. Just write about the situation on Medium, and that will force the faceless corporation to address the issue.

Or my Live Journal?

The Google stories are far more terrifying to me. I don’t really care about AirBnB, I mean how critical is that to anyone’s life?

But your primary email account? ooooh yeah that’d be bad

That’s why the hero of that Black Mirror episode is her drop-out brother.

But, i have to point out…

He seems to be missing the forest from the trees.

If your main email account is that important, why wouldn’t you just host your own? Even for nobodies like me, things like Fast Mail aren’t that expensive. (Still doesn’t seem worth it for me though.)

Outside of Waze, I have mostly cut Google out of my life. I would be screwed if Apple banned me, but I don’t think they ban people since an account is practically required for their hardware.

How are you gonna issue password resets or “forgot my password” when you no longer control the email address associated with probably 95% of your online accounts?

Would you really be screwed if Apple banned you though? I think more likely you would be liberated from the ecosystem, like a cow that’s final escaped the farm.

Says the guy who loves a company that uses him to make money. :-)

Pretty easy to set up an account on Yahoo, etc that is only used for those password resets and not used for anything else. No chance in that account getting banned.

So does Apple. The difference is you have to pay for the privilege of being screwed. I get screwed for free.

That being said, I am shifting to Microsoft where ever possible. I Bing things!

Yes @legowarrior, whatever you say.

That guy is an idiot. Storing account numbers and passwords of clients in plain text sheet? An algorithm propably decided that was stolen data and blocked him. If I was a client and reading this I would post haste terminate my contract for security concerns.

I assume you don’t mean host your own (since that’s not what Fast mail does) but you mean to use a custom email address domain that’s not tied to any particular provider, so you can change providers.

You don’t even need fastmail for that, I use my custom email domain on gmail right now, and if gmail banned me I could easily just move my address to another provider (as long as I don’t forget to renew my domain).

One of the reasons that I don’t invest heavily in Google based apps. I use Gmail as a spam account. That’s it.