Below - Action-Adventure Roguelike by Capybara

I hope this doesn’t come cross as nit-picking, but I won’t be able to play that if the character is that small and there’s no way to zoom in. And that sucks because I want to play it.

I still think it’s going to be different when it’s in front of you in full screen, but I can understand the concern.

It’s about time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsBpnnq7Ep4

https://twitter.com/CAPYGAMES/status/1070467999826554880

Do I want this?

Yes I do!

Yissssssssss!

Still a thing? Dang!

Wasn’t this a PS4 E3 hype trailer thing? I’m so out of it.

I think that was RiME, which Sony dropped and was later picked up and published by Grey Box last year. Below was announced way back at Microsoft’s 2013 E3 conference, sot it’s been in the works for a long time.

I roll to disbelieve.

Ah, I was conflating PS4 and XB1 conferences from that year. My b!

Day 1 for me.

This thread wouldn’t come up searching for “Below” or “Below Game” FYI. Not sure why?

Anyway, I am going to be talking about this a lot, for some reason since the first moment I saw it the thing just spoke to me and I’ve been keeping it on my radar for years. It’s coming out the day after a massive Pillars 2 patch and plans for me to do a Let’s Play for that game are causing me physical distress, but I’ll muddle through, somehow.

In the meanwhile, Game Informer had the game director on hand to take a look at the game a few days ago, and it’s worth a watch if you don’t know anything about Below or what it is.

Out in 2 day, so who else is excited?!!?!!?!?!

And here is 13 minutes with the developer:

I liked the trailer back when it was announced, so I’m at the very least intrigued. We’ll see.

I am! I am!

Also,

(@lordkosc you even posted in this thread, LOL)

Though I noted in the last post I made in there that Below yields no search results (and in fact, even with this new thread, still doesn’t).

edit: LOL @MrTibbs posted in that thread, too. :)

Huh, so even after watching 14 minutes of gameplay I still am not totally sure what this game actually is.

I even searched for that thread and couldn’t find it! Sigh…

Just goes to show you how much we want this game.

Scott you even mentioned being unable to find that thread in your last comment over there! :D

Seems searching for Capybara , yields both threads!

Yeah, I mentioned that above as well (thought it was an edit) and I still think that’s just odd. I assume because the word “below” shows up so many times in the Games thread it just … gives up and shows no results? Something is goofy. I’m just glad we have a game to talk about at this point, wherever we end up hanging our game discussion hat.

edit: Also, I have tried searching for “Capy” a few times because I can never remember how to spell the entire thing.

Yep, they need to rename their game and their company, so both are easier to find!

In the old boards, I used to get past this limitation by using the “tag” when creating a thread. So you could tag something if it was too common a name, or a four letter word or below.

But no one else besides me used tags, so I guess it was pretty pointless.

It’s a bit rogue-lite and more about exploration. You start, you explore and learn about the game world and mechanics, maybe figure out how to craft, then ultimately die and start over with a new (randomly generated) character, trying to get to where the last guy died to collect his shit hopefully. All the while making more and more progress (one would hope at least) and unlocking shortcuts to make subsequent runs easier to traverse.

Each time you play with a new character, the levels (except specific set pieces) are randomized.

What I don’t really know, is what kind of “loot” are we talking about? Can you find amazing weapons and armor the further you get down? Stuff like that. We’ve only really ever been shown the beginning hour or so of the game so far, but a recent video from Game Informer loaded up a bit deeper into the “dungeon” and it didn’t seem like the character had better equipment, but was facing tougher enemies. I’m not sure how that works.