Ben Affleck directs Ben Affleck in Live by Night

Based on a Dennis Lehane novel:

…man, that is a really good trailer.

I hadn’t heard of this movie until today, when I saw two different movies and got a different trailer for this with each one. The one you linked was my favorite of the two.

This was pretty, and well made, but never really captivating or interesting. I can’t point to any one thing I’m sure it did wrong, but there was never any tension or reason to engage with it, so I think I’m going to blame Affleck’s Joe Coughlin. I’m not sure if its the character or the performance that fails to land, but I’d say you can all safely skip this.

Haven’t seen the movie yet, but have read the book. It’s one of Dennis Lehane’s lesser efforts, a pretty generic gangster tale. So this is not one of those “the book was better” things.

What I really want to say is that the preceding book, The Given Day, is way more interesting. It’s is about the same family (but set in Boston and mostly about the Boston policeman’s strike of 1919.)

Holy shit. Nice try Ben.

[quote]
“It’s one of those things that’s really frustrating because with Live by Night, it took me a year and a half to write it and get it ready, and I worked really hard, and nobody gave a shit,” Affleck said. “Nobody was like, ‘Where’s Live By Night?!’ But with Batman I keep on getting, ‘Where’s the fucking Batman?!’ And I’m like, ‘Whoa, I’m working! Give me a second.’”[/quote]

[quote]
“Oh my God, it’s such a pain in the ass. It’s like every time I mention Batman it gets this huge clickbait,” Affleck said. “When I was doing this movie it took me two years to get it together, but nobody ever asked me, ‘Where’s Live By Night?’ You know? They ask me ‘Batman, Batman, Batman.’ Batman’s coming along, it’s going to be great. We’re going to make something really special. We’re going to take the time to make it right. We’re going to do it good.”[/quote]

Obviously he has a great affinity for Batman.

Can we cast someone else please?

I think he has a point, mainstream stuff (which in this decade is superhero movies, try explaining that to a nerd 20 years ago) gets all the attention. I don’t see any of that changing so long as we’re all still behaving under the profit motive, though.

It would also have been a more defendable argument if Live By Night was… you know, good.

No he has no point. His past movies he directed got good attention. Hell the two current top movies right now are about a trio of unknown genius black women working at NASA in the 60’s and a freaking musical.

This one didn’t work out. Move past it Ben and stop crying about it.