Best Blogging Programs?

Since I am relative n00b when it comes to such things, I bow to the collective wisdom of ye multitudinous tech-savvy QT3ers.

…so my boss is asking me about setting up a blog for our company, to appear in conjunction with our website, and he wants to know which programs are the best. I’m quite green when it comes to blogging (heck…I rarely even READ the blessed things), so I am sort of at sea here.

The host for our new site, still under construction, says it can work with any blogging program under the sun, but it lists these in particular:

Typo
Wordpress
pMachine
Nucleus
b2evolution
Ruby on Rails

These I know from nothing.

Anyway…what do you folks like to use for bloggin’…and how come? One thing I should also mention is that the ultimate goal is for my tech-not-so-savvy boss to take over all of the blogging himself, so loozer-friendliness is certainly a factor here.

Anything y’all can pass on would be much appreciated.

So…lil’ help?

If you search the site, you should find some threads on this. It comes up occasionally and everyone tells you their favorites. Mine is wordpress, becasue it’s the one I use. Wordpress is pretty simple to use, especially if you don’t have to worry with setting it up.

Another vote for wordpress. It’s PHP and mysql, which makes it really simple and safe, and like Bull says, it’s simple and easy.

Ruby on Rails is a framework, not blogging software, but it’s a pretty awesome framework. I’d recommend you something for that if I had more experience with it.

When it comes to blogging there’s : Wordpress, Textpattern and MovableType(not PHP…perl?). The rest isn’t important.

In some months, Habari will be hopefully released. It’s being made by some notable users/developers of Wordpress.

edit: only read this part now…

Anyway…what do you folks like to use for bloggin’…and how come? One thing I should also mention is that the ultimate goal is for my tech-not-so-savvy boss to take over all of the blogging himself, so loozer-friendliness is certainly a factor here.

You want Wordpress.

Write your own with PHP/mySQL (and maybe a little JS to make it web2.0)

Thanks for the input, folks! I will look into Wordpress a bit more, since it looks like it will be the quickest kill.

I go with ExpressionEngine, hands down - www.expressionengine.com. More work than Wordpress, but it can do almost anything very, very easily. It’s not the easiest out there, but it’s running my not-very-tech-savvy mother’s website just fine.

But yeah, WordPress is definitely your choice for quick, dirty, and just-plain-works.

(Your host’s suggestions are a bit weird, BTW. Pmachine is long dead in favour of ExpressionEngine, and Ruby on Rails isn’t a blogging program.)

I’ve been using wordpress for months, and I think it’s a great program if you want to use the default or a pre-made theme. Editing your own wordpress theme is a bitch and a half.

If there is any chance that the site will grow into something more than a blog, I’d recommend that you pick a CMS that has blogging built-in, and turn on only the blog. That way you’re better scaled for expansion and won’t need to reskin your site or anything later on. Drupal 5 is my pick for CMS and you can make blogging as simple or complex as you want. That said, Wordpress is probably easier to set up and theme if you really want to minimize your initial build time.

Edit: Just noticed RickH’s post above. I’ll retract my Wordpress theme comment. Frankly, I’m very surprised it’s not easy since simplicity is something Wordpress seems to pride itself on. Drupal theming is pretty easy, depending on what you need to do, and assuming you’re customizing or reverse-engineering an existing theme you like. And there are some very cool themes for Drupal.

Editing WordPress themes is no harder than any other CMS, and much easier than many. The two sticking points are that it tends to stick semantic, but not necessarily wanted, markup into your theme when it processes it, and it can take a while to understand the ‘loop’ system if you’ve never done it before.

Drupal editing… that’s a bitch and a half if you have a specific look and feel in mind.

Again, EE absolutely rocks for custom design. In two years of using it, after using Drupal, WP, GreyMatter, MovableType and several other programs around the place, I’ve never once felt the urge to use anything else. It’s hands down the best blogging platform out there, and an excellent CMS to boot.

[b]bash$[/b] cat - > new-blog-entry.html
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html dir="ltr" lang="en">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />
...etc...
<p>whine whine whine!  whine whine whine whine!</p>
...etc...
</html>
^D

[b]bash$[/b] chmod 755 new-blog-entry.html

[b]bash$[/b] for bla in `cat journalist-emails.txt` ; do 
>    echo 'http://mywhines.com/new-blog-entry.html' | \
>    mail -s 'new blog entry from [email protected]' $bla 
>done

I use Movable type now, and I think it’s a pretty good product. Pretty easy to customize and work with. If I had it to do over again or were to start a new blog, though, I’d do it with Wordpress. It just seems to be more flexible and has a bigger/better community.

I use b2evolution on two sites and I’m non-plussed. I have it because I was really experienced with the predecessor (b2) and so I knew the system as far as making custom add-ons and so forth, but since then haven’t had the time to convert to something else. I give it an 8 on the 7-9 scale.

What’s wrong with finger?

Man, that takes me back. Does anyone still update his finger file?

Edit: Wow, I just went to Blue’s News (for the first time in like 5 years, I guess) and was amazed to see that some developers still update their .plan file. Those wacky new kids and their blogs and their RSS feeds!

You may be right, but the ones I’ve tried to edit are under-commented, and essentially are forcing me to learn XTHML and CSS. Yes, I know, no big deal to a lot of folks on the board, but I’m a long way away from my college programming days.

The trial-and-error method I’ve had to use has really slowed me down, and I haven’t found anything on the WordPress sites or anywhere else that breaks down the elements of the theme in relation to the “code.”

Try here: http://urbangiraffe.com/2005/04/12/themeguide1/

It’s old, but the info’s still sound.

I think it’s fair to say that if you don’t know those things you don’t have much business monkeying around with it. On the bright side, there’s quite a few community-made, ready to use templates.

Yes, and they’re under-commented even after I’ve learned XTHML and CSS.