Best boardgame of 2017

Since @triggercut can’t do it this year, I’m going to run the Quarterlies for best game of 2017, which I will post in a few days. And even though boardgames are absolutely eligible for that list, I figured any discussion of them would be swamped by talk of Event Horizon Zero Dark Thirty or Mario Jumps and Jumps Again, so I wanted to create a separate thread where people can post their favorite boardgames of 2017. And then explain why they like them, which is the best part.

I’ll post my list later but y’all (yinns?) can start now. I’d love to hear what you liked in the world of physical, tactile, wonderful boardgames of 2017. Living (or undead) collectible card games grudgingly included.

Spirit Island - I love thinky games. This game made me utilize my brain more than any game I bought this year. The game is very basic in that you place explorers and cities on random spaces per card draws…seems too simple. So initially it didn’t seem like it would be that heavy in thought power but even with just one spirit, you really have to spend time contemplating your moves, thinking ahead, finding the best use of each spirit and their powers, hoping that this or that new explorer placement card wont come at the wrong time…stupid ocean cards. It’s just a very interesting, super thinky game and having a large variety of spirits and encounters just enhances the long term replayability.

I played dozens of others but if I had to pick one, this one is it.

I feel like it’s hard to play board games the year they’re released unless you go to lots of conventions. I spent most of this year playing games from previous years, and I assume I’ll spend 2018 mostly playing 2017 games. Still had some standouts that did release this year

2017 Games:

1. Sidereal Confluence
    I thought I didn’t like Trading as a mechanic after not loving it in Catan and Genoa. Apparently all I needed was some crazy asymmetric factions and ridiculous tech names. Sidereal is the most fun I’ve ever had trading cubes. This game also nails semi-cooperative as an idea in a way that felt entirely new to me. It’s not about tricking people into crazy trades, it’s about whoever can empower everyone else best. You get points for helping others see more efficient ways to run their engines (that just happen to use your cubes).

2. Pandemic Legacy Season 2 [No spoilers below]
    I didn’t love Panedmic Legacy Season 1 because it mostly felt like playing Pandemic with some expansions and an uninspiring story. Season 2 on the other hand felt crazy right from the get-go. The balance of the game is all over the place, sometimes quite hard and others really easy. But anytime you were ahead of the curve you had to use that advantage to waste time advancing the meta-game or the game would stay brutally difficult. I loved the decision of balancing future games against trying to win the current game. There were exciting mid-game discoveries in nearly every game!

3. Gloomhaven
    My favorite part about Gloomhaven is that it’s a great legacy game that you don’t have to binge on. I feel comfortable putting it away for a month or two and picking up my character where I left them off. Or if I’d rather I can just start a new character and keep playing through the same story. I don’t think Gloomhaven is that fun if you play it a bunch in a short sitting, but you don’t have to. It’s happy to be left alone until you’re ready for it again.

4. Werewords
    This is the first party game I’ve liked in quite a while and I think the only one I own. It’s like 20 questions with a timer, except one person is trying to keep you from guessing the right word. What makes this really fun is how many situations there are in the game. For instance, if you’re the werewolf, how do you ask yes or no questions that mislead everyone else? If you’re not, how do you figure out who’s trying to mislead you? Or maybe the person answering the yes or no questions secretly ends up being the werewolf, then they’ll be intentionally deceptive and lying in their answers. But they can’t be too obvious because if the players guess they’re the traitor, the traitor loses. So many weird situations can come up and a lot of the fun is trying to figure out which weird situation you’re in.

5. Near and Far
    I think this is my favorite game with a story book. The stories here are cute even if they rarely present interesting decisions. The game around them is an exciting race with exponentially growing super powers. Getting to stories feels hard, and the payout of having someone read you some text about how your character is cool is a great reward. The game isn’t perfect (it can feel like the winner is determined during set up), but it’s exciting and dramatic and uses a story book in a way that fits in perfectly.

Gloomhaven is not merely the best boardgame of 2017, but very likely the best boardgame, period. (For my tastes, of course. But BGG agrees, for the moment.) I have gushed extensively in the boardgame thread but it is such a complete package. A core of incredibly smart, tactical, varied and challenging (with user tuning) combat layered with so many inventively different scenarios, so many monsters, so many unlockable classes, surprisingly strong writing, and so many wonderful progression rewards. All for, at original Kickstarter pricing, $64. Crazy. (It’s still a value at estimated retail of $140, but I love that I bought when I did.)

Haven’t played many games released this year, but my favorite by far was Time of Crisis. Its sad that this game isn’t getting more attention on BGG. It has relatively few rules and is quick playing (for a GMT game, anyway), and most importantly, it has some of the most interesting player interaction and group dynamics in recent years. In simplest terms, it is basically a big “king of the hill” race, but it is most involved than just beating down the leader. Sure, you can oust the emperor, but will you have the opportunity to claim it for yourself? And even if you do, if you’ve set yourself up to claim it, you might not have the resources left to hold it for more than a turn or so. Balancing all of this, as well as managing your temporary alliances with your rivals makes the game really satisfying.

Didn’t get to play too much new stuff this year.

Flamme Rouge - Listed as 2016 on BGG but eh, I’m struggling for options. So much game packed into so few rules, a brilliant racing game. need to play this some more

Magic Maze - boy is this a fun game. want to play it with more than 3. absolutely hilarious.

the Lost Expedition - very nice little co-op game. Not a huge amount to it but plenty of fun and plays fast, neat push your luck elements. Great art.

I need to play some more Pan Leg S2 before making a decision on that. I really wanted to like Near and Far more than I did. I think I need to play it some more. I’ve gone in on the kickstarter for the co-op expansion so I must have liked it somewhat.

Well, I have not played much in the way of 2017 titles. Gloomhaven arrived, but I have not played it yet. So how about instead I list my top 10 2017 Ebay acquisitions?

#1 Bitter Woods and Expansion - been looking for this for ages. Local FLGS has had a copy for years, but they want good money for it and I keep passing it by hoping for an Ebay bargain. And bargain I got - $70 for both!

#2 Minion Hunter - Don’t know how it came into my feed, but this one looked too interesting to pass up. A well regarded Talisman-like in the Dark Conspiracy RPG world. $16

#3 Duck Dealer - I’ll never find a copy of Roads and Boats, to this Splotter title might be the closest I get. $40

#4 Assault on Doomrock and Expansion - Nice soloable card based dungeon crawler. Not that easy to come by, I paid proper for this one. $110

#5 Wizard’s Quest - Men vs Orcs and Wizards searching the land for hidden artifacts in a quest to become the rightful ruler, while a Dragon hovers overhead causing mayhem through the land? Sure, why not? I like it so much this is apparently my second copy. Doh! $26

#6 Dragonslayer - Similar theme - Wizards scouring the land for artifacts in a quest to destroy Vermithrx Pejorative, the last dragon. See above, I’m a sucker for this stuff. $14

#7 StarForce ‘Alpha Centauri’: Interstellar Conflict in the 25th Century - Sci-fi battles! Hexes and counters! Solo-able! Rarely comes up in Oz. $30

#8 Orion: Combat Near the Speed of Light - This one’s an oddball. Wasn’t looking for it specifically, but I am bit of a sucker for these old Sci-fi games. This one may come closest to the style of battle depicted in Campbell’s Lost Fleet series - ie relativity matters. Have a quite a bit of the GDW stuff of this vintage. $35

#9 Field Commander: Rommel - Ah, something a little more grounded in reality. This will sit right on the shelf next to Field Commander:Alexander. Cool system. $35

#10 Silver Bayonet: The First Team in Vietnam, 1965 - Not a lot of stuff in hex and counter covers Vietnam. After Vietnam 1965-1975, this is one of the next best regarded. $35

I gotta find me some more time to play these things…

I haven’t played Gloomhaven though. Then again, most people haven’t. :D

Whoa, we’re posting pics, now? Ok, well, if this is gonna be that kind of party, I’m …

This list is subject to change as I play a few more games from this year, notably Next War:Poland and Pendragon. I also have only played a couple of these games a few times, so maybe things will change with repeated playings. But for now …

#5 Mrs. Thatcher’s War (White Dog Games - R. Ben Madison)

thatcher

Up until this time, I thought the definitive Falklands War game was Where There is Discord by Daniel Hodges. The game is also rarely reprinted and thus costs upwards of $200 on the secondary market. But what if you could play a game that is almost as good for $40, shipping included? Mrs. Thatcher’s War takes a very different approach to Where There is Discord, and focuses a lot on the land campaign, which Where There is Discord basically compresses into just the landing. It’s probably the only weakness in WTID, and Mr.s Thatcher’s War exploits it to offer a game that has an interesting, heterogeneous decision space as well as a brutal clock: two things essential in a solitaire game. I’ve only played it two times (both losses) but the second game was almost immediately after the first when I said, “I gotta do that again.” I almost never do that. R. Ben Madison has designed a “British Wars Trilogy” for White Dog which is composed of Don’t Tread on Me, N: The Napoleonic Wars, and this game. He also did the not-well-received-in-some-quarters Mound Builders. This one is definitely worth checking out.

#4. Silver Bayonet - 25th Anniversary Edition (GMT Games - Gene Billingsley and Mitch Land)

silver bayonet

This is kind of a cop-out, since the original game (see @sharaleo’s post above) came out in 1990, and the “anniversary edition” was actually two years late so is really a “27th Anniversary Edition” but the game is so good that who cares. They upgraded (way upgraded) the art and physical components, and made some rules tweaks that streamlined the system without taking anything meaningful away. I got one long session in this spring, and it reminded me what I loved about this game 27 years ago. It’s the best operational Vietnam game I’ve played, and there are tons of them out there if you look at the S&T and Wargamer ouevre over the years. The only problem is that the campaigns play long. They are worth it.

#3. Time of Crisis (GMT Games - Wray Ferrell and Brad Johnson)

time of crisis

I am up to four plays of this, and not one time have I finished. That has nothing to do with the game, which I am still convinced a group of experienced players could finish in under three hours, but because of circumstances unique to each playing. However, my last playing, in which it took me forty minutes to teach the game and then we made substantial progress in a further two hours, convinced me that this is an outstanding game. The deckbuilder mechanic is designed in such a way that you can choose cards from your draw deck, which I actually forgot in one of the times I was teaching it! The constant pressures on players are easy to identify but hard to deal with, and do a great job of evoking the historical period. Turns play quickly but there are lots of interesting decisions to make. The only problem is that I really don’t feel this scales well - two players is pointless, three is unbalanced. Only four does this game justice.

#2. Pericles (GMT Games - Mark Herman)

pericles

Boy, did I want to make this my favorite game of 2017. It’s a beautifully designed, elegant, not-at-all-complicated thunderclap of historical design inspiration, which uses several of Mark’s innovations to capture pretty much everything that was important about the Peloponnesian War. Yes, it’s abstract. Yes, it is a wargame. Is it better than Polis? I dunno - it sure is different. Don’t bother playing this with bots or whatever - you need four players for this, period. When you get them, you’ll be glad you did.

#1. Holland '44 (GMT Games - Mark Simonitch)

holland 44

When I honestly asked myself which game I most enjoyed playing this year, and which gave me the most satisfaction as a wargamer, it had to be this. I’m a wargamer, I like hexes, I like combat results tables, and I like epic battles. I also like games where the mechanics capture what I think “feels important” about the historical situation. Market-Garden sure was epic, and the airborne drop and supply, the disruption, and the bloody CRT all combine to make what I think has to be the best game so far on this subject. (Sorry, Monty’s Gamble and Hell’s Highway.) I also love the simple way Simonitch models the road congestion for XXX Corps. This is my favorite “wargame” in a long time.

Honorable mentions go to Falling Sky, Fields of Despair, and Wing Leader: Supremacy although the last one is really just an add-on for Wing Leader: Victories. But I included what is basically a re-issue in Silver Bayonet in my top five, so I can go easy here, too.

How complex are the rules to this one? Would you recommend it for someone relatively new to wargaming?

I bought The US Civil War by Simonitch, but I found that a tad on the difficult side to learn. Any idea how this compares? Also, how long does a game usually take?

Bruce, how thematic was Pericles? You said that it felt abstracted, and of course all games are to some extent, but would you mind going a bit more into your thoughts on that, and the underlying theory behind having factions struggling within themselves?

Would you say that Magic Maze and Lost Expedition might make good games for young gamers, say aged 8-12, with an adult supervising?

My 12 year old has played Lost Expedition with me. He enjoys it. Easy to learn.

It’s very straightforward for someone who is experienced with board wargaming, but it might be a bit much for a newbie. That said, the concepts are fundamental wargaming concepts. I would put time for a first game (if you’re playing the full campaign) and 20 hours - say, four Saturdays of 5 hours of gaming each.

The game is extremely thematic. The factions struggling against themselves to win Honor, and fighting the enemy (also to win Honor, but in a different way) is a fantastic way of portraying the Peloponnesian War. The abstraction is in the fact that the combat is deterministic (two Spartan fleets are equal to one Athenian fleet, two Athenian armies are equal to one Spartan army) so you can tell what the losses are going to be when you set up the combat. And the bases/fleets/armies dynamic is going to rub some non-wargamers the wrong way. But it’s the best effort I have seen to cover the political and military elements of the conflict in the same game, with the intra-factional concerns also represented.

Ah, it sounds great! I have often wondered what such an approach would look like applied to WW2, particularly given the struggles within the various higher ups in the Nazi Empire. There was probably something similar in the Soviet hierarchy, but I am ignorant of… well, quite a lot about that topic.

I think a creator of such a game would probably be tempted to create analogous factions among the Western Allies, but I dunno if the fractiousness there was at the same level, no matter what Adolf might have hoped.

A similar system has been applied to WW2! Have you played Churchill?

My issue is that while I have a number of 2017 board games:

High Frontier 3rd
Time of Crisis
Pericles
Colonial Twilight
Pendragon
Wild Blue Yonder
Next War Poland
Fallout
Nemo’s War
The Expanse
Escape from 100 Million BC
Sidereal Confluence
Lovecraft Letter
Battle for Rokugan

I have only played:

High Frontier 3rd
Time of Crisis
Colonial Twilight
Wild Blue Yonder
Nemo’s War
The Expanse
Escape from 100 Million BC

And, I’ve not even scratched the surface of some of those. But here goes:

5 - Colonial Twilight - The first strictly 2 player COIN by master of counterinsurgency Brian Train. A great game in a great series. It’s too bad I haven’t been able to play Pendragon and rank that yet.

4 - The Expanse - This was a surprise. I was skeptical at first but despite some low production values I’ve enjoyed my time with this Twilight Struggle like game. And, it’s a four player game at that.

3 - Time of Crisis - This game is exactly the fresh take on deckbuilding I needed.

2 - Wild Blue Yonder - I never played Down in Flames. This version of the system has been really great so far and I just keep finding more and more in this box.

1 - High Frontier 3rd edition - One of my top games ever got its third and best version out in 2017. So yeah, you better believe it’s up here.

Tom Mc

Magic Maze definitely - it ramps up the difficulty by introducing more elements as you go along, but the early scenarios are very straight forward.

Lost Expedition maybe towards the upper end of that age range. I am not sure it’d be quite as fun for younger kids as Magic Maze.

Ha! I haven’t played It, but I must have heard of it somewhere and forgotten, since I rather doubt I just reinvented it from whole cloth there. Although I note that it actually takes the side that seems to me most suited to such a treatment and relegates it to non-player status. Have you played it?