Best cookbook tomes

I have to limit the amount of salt I use. I imagine the brine would add quite a bit of sodium? I’m ok using a bit of salt if that is all that’s needed.

You could use those same over-thick pork chops sautéed if you wanted. You’d just need to butterfly them first. Lay them flat on the counter and use a sharp chef knife to cut horizontally through the chop. Go evenly and leave an edge equal to half the original thickness not cut. Now open up the chop and smooth flat. You might need to adjust the center cut slightly so that it lays flat. Then prepare and cook as usual.

I used to make my own sauce all of the time. Not so much now. A good jarred sauce is perfectly fine. I use Silver Palate.

Don’t tell anyone.

A classic tomato sauce is a 28oz can of tomatoes, butter, an onion, and salt. There is never any reason to use a jar sauce.

With all the available recipes online now why would anyone need a book? Much of Cook’s and American Test Kitchen is online.

Google a food and see what you can do with it.

It depends on the cookbook. If it’s just a recipe book from a celeb chef, skip it. Something like Kenji Lopez-Alt’s books will teach you the why’s and then give you recipes to see what you read in action. I also have some bread books that are great. On the other hand, for bread, King Author Baking’s site has a wealth of information. I generally skip books now and just do a search for what I want to make. YouTube often inspires me more than anything though. I make a ton of stuff from Ethan Chelbowski’s videos/site.

That’s what I use :-)
Except I get the lower sodium.

I should try that - then I can control how much salt I use and add some fresh basil.

I don’t like trying to read my phone when I have to make food. My wife has an iPad but i don’t use it much and would worry I’d spill on it. My wife get’s most recipes online though.

It’s a great simple base. You can add to what you like to make it more interesting. Chili flakes to make it hotter, dried oregano and/or basil for more flavors, or some fried up Italian sausage if you want meat. Honestly tomato sauce is incredibly easy to make and it’s not full of salt and sugar like your jar sauces. I always have the ingredients laying around, as well as some pasta, so it’s a quick easy meal anytime I want it.

If you want to get rid of some acidity and want to add some more vegetables, finely shred a carrot into it as well, you won’t taste it and it can remove the bite of the tomatoes.

The secret is the tomatoes though. Buy some decent San Marzano canned tomatoes (not the kind that every grocery store has in white cans, those are garbage CA tomatoes).