Best current console games

The game list for the PC in the next few months is so unexciting I might just bite the bullet and buy my first console since the hardwired “tank combat” game I got with a RF converter back in the 70s. I might buy only a PS2 or an X-Box, but might well buy both.

I understand there are a couple of big games coming out shortly like Fable, but in terms of stuff from the last year or so, what should I really get? I like RPGs, and don’t much care for platformers or fighting games; of course that leaves several other major categorie open. I don’t intend to subscribe to any online console service, my online play is in MMORPGs anyway.

So what are the best games available for either PS2 or X-Box (but not the PC) with those constraints? Say the best 3 or 5 games? If there is some other online list you generally agree with, a link would be great, too…

You could go to www.gamerankings.com and sort their lists by console and see what the top 10 or so games are based on average review. That would be a pretty good place to start.

PC Games unexciting?? Evil Genius? Rome: Total War? Pacific Fighters? Oh yeah, real dull stuff. Although I do want an Xbox for Burnout 3, damnit.

I just heard about Evil Genius today, it might be fun, but it’s not really exciting me for some reason, though I’ll take a look. It’s not a game I would be looking forward to if I had known about it in advance

Rome: Total War doesn’t interest me at all. RTSes in general don’t do it for me, even when, as in this case, they are couched in a larger strategic gameplay format. I could rant on about how they should really be called Real-Time Tactics games, and how the real-time aspect conceals generally terrible game AI, but then other people could cite counterexamples and talk about multiplayer – really, I just don’t like that kind of game…

A while back I posted a similar question to yours and got a bunch of good answers:

http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11489&highlight=rpg

Of course, those suggestions are only for the PS2, but they might give you a good place to start looking.

Thanks for the link!

Huh?

Port Royale 2, Sims 2, Rome Total War, Half Life 2, Pirates 2, Pacific Fighters, Pacific Assault - to name a few off the top of my head. There are more than enough games than anyone has time for. Plus Matrix Games and Battlefront are still pumping out great indie games.

Port Royale 2, Sims 2, Rome Total War, Half Life 2, Pirates 2, Pacific Fighters, Pacific Assault

I’m not interested in a single one of these titles, surprisingly. PC gaming’s pretty slow right now, although I anticipate the glut of RPGs over the next six months to a year.

Yeah, I agree. There aren’t any PC games out right now that interest me in the slightest.

The only PC games I can think of I’m interested in before the end of the year are Half Life 2 and Pirates. Bloodlines if that ships and the Hidden and Dangerous 2 expansion pack if thats still scheduled. On the other hand I’m going to go broke with all of the console games I want.

Maybe Pirates if it gets good reviews. And probably WoW for a few months…

I definitely want to play this on the PC…

http://www.immortalcities.com/cotn/

I only just saw it in PC Gamer tonight. It’s by the former Impressions team. There’s plenty of PC games coming this year that I’m interested in. Too many games in general in fact…

–Dave

???

I understand if they don’t float your boat, but PC gaming is packed for the next 4-6 months of releases (and this is only my personal list of games to check out):

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Call of Duty: United Offensive
Chaos League
Doom 3
EverQuest II
Evil Genius
Half-Life 2
Kohan II: Kings of War
Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude
Madden NFL 2005
Majesty Legends
Medal of Honor Pacific Assault
Men of Valor
Need for Speed Underground 2
Playboy: The Mansion
Prince of Persia 2
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3
Rome: Total War
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
Shadow Vault
Sid Meier’s Pirates!
The Sims 2
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
Star Wars: Battlefront
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005
Tribes: Vengeance
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

A couple other similar threads:

http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10663
http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7812

Can you be a little more specific about what kind of games are you interested in? I can’t really give a best few over all since it is hard to compare genres. If someone only wants to play sports games, they will never appreciate Ico.

Wow, that looks VERY interesting indeed. Sign me up.

Wow, that looks VERY interesting indeed. Sign me up.[/quote]
Whoa! Nice find! Knowing it’s from veterans of Impressions, I’m stoked.

Hey, I never said there weren’t a lot of games coming out, I only said I didn’t much care about them. This is certainly a useful and fairly comprehensive list:

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Call of Duty: United Offensive
Chaos League
Doom 3
EverQuest II
Evil Genius
Half-Life 2
Kohan II: Kings of War
Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude
Madden NFL 2005
Majesty Legends
Medal of Honor Pacific Assault
Men of Valor
Need for Speed Underground 2
Playboy: The Mansion
Prince of Persia 2
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3
Rome: Total War
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
Shadow Vault
Sid Meier’s Pirates!
The Sims 2
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
Star Wars: Battlefront
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005
Tribes: Vengeance
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Of those, I am only even slightly interested in:

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (horror, meh, but you never know)
Evil Genius (kinda, will look at the demo anyway)
Sid Meier’s Pirates! (sentiment value, I don’t really expect it to be good)
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (yay obsidian)
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (last vampire game wasn’t bad)

Only the last two would I really be looking forward to. I didn’t realize the Vampire game was coming out in October – so that is legitimately on the radar. KoToR2 in December is too far off to count.

My list from the last year or so:

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Disgaea, Phantom Brave, Guilty Gear XX#Reload, Front Mission 4, Champions of Norrath, Spy Fiction, Chronicles of Riddick, Ninja Gaiden, Breakdown, Beyond Good and Evil, Midway Arcade Treasures, and Skies of Arcadia: Legends.

If you’ve never owned a console, check out Ico, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Ikaruga, Wario World, and Eternal Darkness.

I know some of these are GameCube games, but, well, them’s the breaks.

I’d recommend KOTOR on Xbox, but it’s really really really really really easy to break, both accidentally and on purpose (a buddy of mine has managed to exploit bugs to get his main character attribute scores of around 60, as well as turning every character in the party into Jedi; imagine Zaalbar as a Jedi Guardian).

Wow, that looks VERY interesting indeed. Sign me up.[/quote]
Whoa! Nice find! Knowing it’s from veterans of Impressions, I’m stoked.[/quote]

I really liked some of the design notes. Looks like something I might have written…

For me personally I had a particularly un-profound moment when it struck me that D-Day was the first historic event that began my interest in warfare and in war gaming! I first started playing Panzer Leader before I understood the context of the events it represented until two years later when I read “The Longest Day” by Cornelius Ryan. All of a sudden what was a more complex version of chess took on meaning and context I had not understood before.

How does this relate to gaming?

“The Longest Day” was simultaneously heart-wrenching and glorious. The board game version was neither. The game Panzer Leader was an intellectual exercise without soul or emotion, yet the experience of playing Panzer Leader was very much improved by having read books on the subject because somewhere in my brain I could add my own emotion and historic significance to the lifeless cardboard counters.

Good PC games take place in the player’s mind. They create a place that to the individual playing it is personal and quite real - and is unique to the PC. The player comes away with some of the same emotions and pride of having achieved issues of real value. This is akin to training in flight simulators and learning to fly: your brain is being conditioned to deal with the experiences you are seeing as if they are real. These games permit our minds to play with fantastic and impossible situations that simply are impossible to experience otherwise, and to some degree they feel real or they leave an imprint that feels real. You can’t get this from any other form of entertainment because the interactive nature is a pre-requisite that is absent in other media.