Best damn thing you'll see all week: Sightseers

From start to finish, Sightseers belongs to the tremendous Alice Lowe.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/12/10/best-damn-thing-youll-see-week-sightseers

"Murderer."
"It was an accident, Mom."
"So were you."

I think I'll like this movie.

Cue Soft Cell's Tainted Love.

Neveremind, this was in entirely the wrong thread.

There's a 1976 Mike Leigh TV Play called "Nuts in May", which is a legend of UK television, to which this movie owes a huge debt, I think.

I love how your perception of Lowe's character changes over the course of the movie. Also best ending ever.

I found Sightseers pretty tedious but I've never been able to put my finger on why. I preferred it to Kill List though which was bloody awful from what I remember. Don't get me wrong, I got a few chuckles from it, and the performances were tip-top, but I just wanted the characters to fall down a hole towards the end. I didn't realise that was Alice Lowe from Garth Marenghi's Darkplace either.

"I'm one of the few people you'll meet who's written more books than they've read." -- Garth Marenghi

She's buried somewhere in the Eastern bloc. If she got a burial.

For the record, I'm no fan of Kill List either. "Bloody awful" about sums it up. :) Although I really like one of the actors in it, Michael Smiley. And I freely grant that Sightseers is, uh, an acquired taste. I can completely understand it not working for a lot of people.

Ooh, it's on Netflix! Thanks for the tip, Anton!

Very little homicide in it! Hardly any. None. There is no murder in it. But if you watch it you'll see what I mean about the tone.

Nuts In May is a unadulterated joy to behold.

Let us know how many times you can chew your nuts Tom!

Finally got around to seeing this. It took a bit to get going, but I thought this was excellent. Thanks for the recommendation!

This was on Film 4 over Halloween, and I just watched it. Great stuff. Reminded me a bit of The Lobster.