Best Game Music 2003

Actually Morrowind was one the very few games where I didn’t turn off the music after 30 seconds, I think HoMM2 was the one before that.

For obvious reasons, I won’t be making a nomination :) .

Morrowind has one of the two best songs I’ve ever heard in a game, the other being the one playing on Besaid Island in FFX. I haven’t played enough X-2 to judge how well the sound is there.

Except the Total Annihilation soundtrack, at least. You can’t say that’s not good.[/quote]

It bleeds “generic film score.” Terribly polished and clever to form but I’ll turn it mute after two times through.

Except the Total Annihilation soundtrack, at least. You can’t say that’s not good.[/quote]

It bleeds “generic film score.” …[/quote]
Well, that it does, but I like it all the same. Must be fond memories of being Fido-rushed or something.

I nominate Vietcong.

Just because I nominate Vietcong for everything (and actually, those 'sixties sound-alikes were very good.)

Having bought the collector’s edition of the game when it first came out, I’ve actually popped in the soundtrack CD and listened to it while surfing.

Flying over the jungle listening to the Stooges’ “I Wanna be Your Dog” was awesome.

I’m not convinced that it’s the “best”, but Tenchu:Wrath Of Heaven has a great Oriental-themed soundtrack. Some of it is pop-ish techno, some is pure acoustic guitar and orchestral stuff, all of it is really good.

Morrowind did have an exceptional score, it was just so repetetive.

Like you, I can’t get into RTS’s either, but for some reason I loved Total Annihilation. I can’t really put my finger on why – lord knows, I’ve tried my fair share of RTS’s and generally felt pretty apathetic towards all of them – with the exception of TA. For some reason, the game was immersive to me and the battles felt kinda personal or something I guess. And aesthetically speaking, the game was amazing… IMHO.

Oh yeah, I’m almost clueless as to what to vote for since almost every game I’ve played this year was released last year. Damn queue is just too big and I keep placing new titles at the tail. :P

Secret Weapons over Normandy actually has extremely good music. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, given it’s from LucasArts.

Secret Weapons over Normandy actually has extremely good music. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, given it’s from LucasArts.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the composer for Secret Weapons is Michael Giacchino who also composed the excellent scores for Call of Duty and MoH:AA and Frontline. He is getting his big break scoring Pixar’s next feature film, The Incredibles.

You are correct, sir.