Best game music 2004 goes to

Sorry, but after playing some hours Myst IV, I can´t say anything but that its a perfect soundtrack to the game. Even if you listen to the music on the bonus DVD its great.

Dave, which AIC song is that? I have the Doom music around here somewhere…

I’m pretty sure it’s “Them Bones”. And whoops, it wasn’t the song from E2M6 from Doom 1 - it’s the level “Gotcha!” from Doom 2.

I’m pretty sure it’s “Them Bones”. And whoops, it wasn’t the song from E2M6 from Doom 1 - it’s the level “Gotcha!” from Doom 2.[/quote]
Yep, although its not really note for note, he also copied Pantera’s “this Love” (bloodfalls from Doom2) and a couple others

He did that in alot of the other games he scored too, duke nukem 2 has interpretations of Metallica songs also - another id game he did was Comander Keen, whihc had a great soundtraack too (well, for its time)) i dont know of any re-interpretaiton there.

That said, he was one of the best videogame musicians of all time, i could care less if he sampled… I wish he was still composing for games

I hear ROme Total War is good, havent played enough games this year

There are companies that specialize in licensed music. Ever think it’s weird that the music you heard in that mediocre shooter ended up in a commercial for a deodarant? Yeah, that’s why.

Amen to that.
[/quote]

It did have one licensed track, or I should say a remix of a PIG track I think. Other than that it was Jesper Kyd and Albert Olson that did the original tracks. I still have the CD I made of those tracks.

Speaking of which, release Jesper Kyd’s work for download or on CD. Whatever you have to do you sick sadistic fuck, do it now. I’m generally turned off by trance/electronica/whatever the fuck you want to call it, but MDK2’s sound track was outstanding.

Although, this is definitely and anachronism since the title states games of 2004 …[/quote]

Sorry man, that went with Interplay. I think once upon a time they had the tracks on their site for download, but we know how well they are doing now.

I vote for Jeremy Soule’s work in Kohan II: Kings of War or Julian Soule’s work in Axis & Allies…of course, I’m biased.

:)

Gallant and I will be over here until you guys come to your senses. RomeTW? Really? Hmmm.

So far, Katamari Damacy wins hands down, imo.

Haven’t listed to a game soundtrack this much in a loong time.

Gallant and I will be over here until you guys come to your senses. RomeTW? Really? Hmmm.[/quote]

Is there any place to download Katamari’s music ? Or a sampler ?

Elvis would so get his ass whupped.

Kitsune, the Evil Genius music is similar to NOLF, but 100x better. I’d actually love to know which composers worked on which Evil Genius tracks, but the credits just lump them all together.

Hmmm. I have my PS2 audio piped into my line-in so that I can get sound out of my rear speakers. I’ll record some wavs for you. Gimme a minute or sixty.

Another reason why I prefer the Evil Genius music to Katamari’s music is that the Evil Genius music is consistently good, while some of the Katamari pieces are hit or miss.

http://forums.filenotfound.org/KATAMARIDAMACY/

There’s your best soundtrack. Especially number 6.

Many thanks.

Bah. And I just spent an hour making a sampler mix for y’all that would fall under the US Copyright Act’s Fair Use provision. Why did I even bother? :-)

Oh well, here’s the mix/medley (1.8 MB):
http://www.rogerw.com/secret(shh)/Feel_the_Cosmos(mix).mp3

Thanks for the link Mike.

Hmmm … interesting. I can imagine female cosplayers would really love listening to this music. :wink: Some of the tunes are catchy in a repetitive cutesy J-POP sort of way. But it’s not really my cup of tea.

My favorite track is “Makka na Bara to Gin Tonic”. Without having actually played Katamari I can see how this music would work great with the game.

But I still prefer RTW’s music. :)

Now if there was a way to add some Rammstein music to Katamari Damashii …

I spent about two minutes on Google :D Like the mix, though.

Sure. If you look at “Best Music” as the music by itself, then I can see your point. But this shouldn’t just be about “cups of tea.” Katamari’s music is … waddayacallit … unique. It’s not average J-pop. It’s also just perfect for the game. It enhances the game in a way that makes it beyond brilliant. Rome has decent music but it’s the music you’d expect for a game like that. You can turn the music off, in Rome, and you’d still be playing the same game, more or less.

I think Katamari without its music, would be a lesser experience. It’s definitely the Best Game Music, if you look at rewarding music as a part of the experience.