Best Game Names

Well. Since I’m Mr. Positive and I did a thread something like this way back 2 or 3 years ago when I first joined this board, in that Crap Game Names thread where they say someone should start a good games names thread, I thought, “Jolly ho! So I will!”

And obviously I have. So yeah, good game names. If you post something positive about gaming, legend has it you will not melt like the wicked witch, but it should do your heart some good.

I’ll start:

Radiant Silvergun - Do I even have to explain come on? “What kind of gun is that?” “A radiant silvergun.” “Whoa.”

Crusader: No Remorse - A very unconventional name to make you feel quite powerful, don’t you think?

All of the King’s Quest puns - From Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder, The Princeless Bride and Romancing the Stone, I thought it all of these were great, especially To Heir is Human. But what was the pun in Perils of Rosella?

.hack - Its a game that fakes like its being on the net, where you can hack into things and its in the form of a dungeon hack. Clever!

Ys - Excellent, simply because its impossible not to take notice of the name, its so unique.

Xanadu - Wonderful little allusion to the poem there.

Twisted Metal - What an evocative way to express what the game is all about.

Puyo Puyo - As you may know the way to make Japanese on-a-mama-pee?-yah! is to repeat the same sound word twice. Puyo just sounds right for the things you’re manipulating in these games.

Grandia - A more aptly named game series probably doesn’t exist!

Grim Fandango - Makes you wonder, doesn’t it? And then once you play it you understand the description!

-Kitsune

Flight Unlimited had the best acronym… Until Flight Unlimited 2 came out.

That reminded me of that NES game Faxanadu (that I learned just tonight is indeed related to the game you mention), which I guess is is a good example of a terrible game name.

Wingboots? Who fucking rented this faggot shit?”

I remember me and my friends loving it though.

You know what a was a great game name? Castlevania.

Not only that, but the sequel had, amazingly, a title that was just as good (Crusader: No Regret), and avoided the number 2 in the title. :shock:

From a marketing standpoint, “Crusader: No Regret” was a pretty bad idea, because it sounds a lot like the name of the game that people already bought. Easy confusion.

That’s true and probably the main reason that “Crusader: No Retreat” was a commercial failure despite being one of the best games of all time.

Interstate 76. Just pure funk.
I’d like to say Riven… just because it sounds cool when you say it. Riven.

Doom

Grand Theft Auto There really couldn’t be a more perfect title for this game series.

jet set willy.

the title tells you all you need to know.

Escape Velocity. Sounded cool, made sense.

Another vote here for DOOM and Interstate '76. DOOM is absolutely iconic, and both names tell you exactly what you are getting with the game.

Civilization falls into that category too, I guess. As does Fallout. And Pirates!

Special props to Day of the Tentacle and Super Hero League of Hoboken and Leather Goddesses of Phobos for having names that immediately make you want to play the game to see what it’s all about.

Anachronox

“I thought you said it started with a ‘U’!”

“Ya, I know.” nods

-Half-Life, because of the lambda.

Sensible Soccer
The Secret of Monkey Island

I agree with all the votes for Doom and another favourite of mine is Soul Calibur.

That’s true and probably the main reason that “Crusader: No Retreat” was a commercial failure despite being one of the best games of all time.[/quote]

Um… what? Was this a joke or something?

–Dave

Command and Conquer- it’s alliterative and very descriptive.

Troy

That’s true and probably the main reason that “Crusader: No Retreat” was a commercial failure despite being one of the best games of all time.[/quote]

[/quote]

You’ve never heard about it?

I very much enjoy that Opposing Force and Blue Shift are also physics terms.

[/quote]

You’ve never heard about it?[/quote]

I know about No Remorse and No Regret but a third game with the title No Retreat was never sold here in the US.

–Dave

[/quote]

You’ve never heard about it?[/quote]

I thought it was called Crusader: No Repentance