Best Games of 2021 thread

Catapault Feud looks great! Should fit in an Xmas stocking for the kids!

ScreenRant has a list of the best indies of 2021, but they forgot Unpacking.

Also forgot Bonfire Peaks.

This thread so far:

screenshot-knowyourmeme.com-2021.12.04-00_13_09

So just like every other year then.

If you get the chance, you should definitely play Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time. It’s tough to define what elevates some games above others when there’s so many of them that follow genre norms and do things by the numbers, it feels like. Crack in Time has all those normal gameplay things, plus it has so many little touches, like whole wonderful sections where you fly through space, whole sections where you land on little planets and jump and collect things on these little planets (this game came out before Super Mario Galaxy, that did something similar), and it has these Clank time puzzles that are also different from any other game. It really makes the game stand out as extraordinary, not just a game where you shoot enemies and collect bolts and jump on platforms.

Polygon published their list.

I’m only on number 46, but holy shit, already Mundaun and Tender: Creature Comforts sound amazing. And I’ve never heard of these games before.

Yeah, I’m really keen on playing Mundaun!

Aaaaalmost gives Unpacking its due. But I’m glad to see it up there when other lists and awards have missed it entirely. Kinda shocked by the Chicory placement!

Also Number 1 is a game I’ve never heard of. And it’s a game about games, apparently. It reminds me of how Oscar voters love movies about making movies, so it makes sense that a game website would love a game about games and make it their best game of the year. Although as a gamer, maybe I would also appreciate a game about games.

It got some discussion in the deckbuilder thread, as well as three GotM mentions here.

https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/game-of-the-month-november-2021/

I’m just happy to see Echoes of the Eye nearly in the top 10. That’ll shut me up for a few lists at least.

Edit: and wow, they spoil a large part of it and describe it as ‘minor spoilers’.

At least they put the spoiler warning up top, so I didn’t read the rest of that entry. I still have to play the original Outer Wilds.

And I hadn’t heard of their #3 choice, but it apparently has infinite games in it, so your logic checks out.

Oh, I think you’ll see that on a lot of best of lists. I’ve only played the demo, but it’s pretty special and really weird.

At least I’ve heart of Nioh 2. What the heck is Northern Journey. Is this Krok showing off that he has a VR rig again? :-p

I’m kind of intrigued. I didn’t like Dusk though, does that mean I’ll probably not like this one? Will I run out of ammo and have to quit like in that game?

I had missed this game as well, but looking into it Inscryption is by the same guy behind Pony Island and The Hex, both excellent games - and also games about games. That’s all I needed to hear to pick this up, and will hopefully play it over Christmas. And from the little I’ve read, it’s best going in as blind as possible, the same as his previous games.

Gamespot’s!

10 Best Games

5 Best PC exclusives

And here’s the New Yorker’s list, for all us snobs out there.

(Lake and TOEM are a couple unique additions!)