Best Games of 2021 thread

I believe you. Did it release on anything else, because I remember playing it on the GameCube? I loved it so much, so I’m glad it holds up.

My warning would be to stop there. The intro to Metroid Prime 2 completely killed my interest. Because I played no more after that, I can’t say if actually the trilogy doesn’t keep delivering greatness. Maybe it’s fantastic.

It was released for the Wii in the Prime Trilogy collection in 2009 with updated controls and a few QoL enhancements. However, I played it on the best platform of all - a special build of the Dolphin wii/GG emulator on PC called PrimeHack with much higher resolutions and including HD packs. It was beautiful and ran at the full 60FPS with barely a baby burp. It convinced me that emulation on modern PCs is the way to go for these old games. Same thing with Demon’s Souls on the PS3. Why bother playing these early console exclusives on old creaky hardware when you can kick it up a few notches to the modern gaming era?

Haha, yeah, that looks like the way to do it. (Though I’m too invested in the simplicity of put-the-disc-in or download-and-go.)

Prime 2: Echoes is, or was, my favourite of the trilogy but it’s been a long time since I played them. I don’t remember much of the intro–I recall it being an atmospheric slow burn, which is right up my street and very much in the spirit of Metroid. Contrast that with Prime 3: Corruption’s derivative and misjudged intro… hooo boy, what a stinker. Took quite a few hours for the game to recover from that and get its bearings! I recall The Geek Critique doing a series on the Metroid games and also liking Echoes a lot too.

Oh shiny. It always looked so good on Dolphin.

I don’t know for sure if it was 2 or 3. I lost interest after walking in all geared up, having that gear be blown off me, and then realizing I’m just going to gather the same stuff back. C’est la vie.

I’ve only played the first Prime briefly, but the same thing happened in the first game. It was really off-putting to me, but my friends assured me that it happens in every Metroid game and that I should embrace it.

A top-ten indies list that includes some games I hadn’t heard of (and also Beast Breaker <3)

Definitely had Circuit Superstars and Wytchwood on my radar and wished I’d gotten a chance to try them!

Oooh, those indies do look good. Wytchwood released just a month ago, so that author is on top of things.

I had really enjoyed the few titles from the earlier Kotaku top 10 RPGs I played, so I ordered several more of them. But, I think I made a mistake. RPG is too small a genre to expect a top 10 per year to fully work for me.

CrisTales had me excited, eager, and happy in the first twenty minutes and then angered me for the succeeding four hours. This might be old-person syndrome, and maybe I need to learn how to deal with it. I recall guidance that in reviewing people’s performance, don’t undo every observation with something in the other direction. Let negatives or positives stand on their own. I ignore that advice and present a slurry now.

• I adore the art style, but objects need a better interaction distance, and I need faster movement. The second town has an agonizingly long stairway. Ys pls.
  • I like turn-based battles and real-time events for bonuses, but I need better timing and animation clues to when the event should occur. That’s partly on me, as towards the very end I realized there’s a 0.1 second flash during the correct timing. CrisTales should explain that very aspect during the introduction. It’s also remained annoyingly individual for each attack and spell.
  • I was surprised and delighted that all the lines are voiced, but the writing is so childish I want to skip it all. And the button to skip has no effect until maybe a second into the line. I’ve already read the whole thing and am waiting, pressing, urge to kill rising.
  • Why would the boss fight cancel all side quests? What’s worse, it looked like necessary characters gathered in the location for the fight, so I couldn’t complete side quests before doing the fight.
  • Boss fight that went on too long because it mind controls a character to heal it. And we just trade turns that way. Awful.

Uhh… back to best games. Scarlet Nexus looks promising?

I still can’t believe that Wytchwood is by Alientrap who made Cryptark. But then again, they did Apotheon so… they’re versatile!

Hmm, I recall seeing Dap on Steam at some point! Will have to look into that a bit closer.

Man, The Ascent was super repetitive to me, but then so are ARPGs in general. I expected the twin-stick shooting to keep me going longer than it did though. Even with friends it didn’t have the legs. I will say though that the environments were incredible to behold and wander around. I think I got more enjoyment out of that than doing the missions to be honest.

Agreed. This year feels particularly disconnected, doesn’t it? Maybe because the AAA offerings that appeal to a broad swath of folks feel particularly weak? Or maybe the lack of a prominent RPG?

Actually, wait… I dug back in history and…

2020: Hades
2019: Disco Elysium
2018: Battletech

I can’t find older votes than that, but I remember Witcher 3 won Game of the Decade, so…

I know we’re PC-predominant players at Qt3 but… Are we just RPG fanatics around here? It’s looking like the vote this year will bear that out. And the critics just weren’t super enamored of the RPGs that came out in 2021. (I didn’t play Pathfinder or Solasta, etc, so I don’t know if they’re all just blind or what.)

The forum basically is an RPG after all. We’re stuck in a long and amusing dialog tree with a cast of wacky NPCs :)

This game is grindy as hell

How did I not realize this before?? I mean, one of them raises alligators for god’s sake, these aren’t real people!

I was playing with a couple of friends so there was a lot of blocking shots and so much going on in fights that it wasn’t quite so easy to parse the tactical aspects amid the chaos. I will say, some of the weapons were bloody satisfying though! Maybe solo was a better way to experience it. We mixed our gear up and tried different synergies but… I dunno, it didn’t click in the same way as, say, Helldivers did. There were also some alarming difficulty spikes after whole sessions of little resistance too. Oh and bugs! We left playing it for weeks, maybe a couple of months, but we encountered a lot more bugs than expected; one requiring solo play to push progress along to ‘unjam’ some borked mission scripting. I dare say many of them were just related to the multiplayer!

I even stopped and thought about it for a second! MY SINCERE APOLOGIES TO SMAUG AND FRIENDS.

1-20-2022 10-05-20 PM

14kg, sure, but of course he couldn’t eat a 33 pound wallaby, much too big.

Oh yeah, we avoided or at the very least had a poke at the red skull enemies! We were definitely aware of the no-go zones. I think some of our favourite moments involved holding out until an objective was complete. Lots of talk before ‘hitting the button’. That’s actually something we’ve been loving about Aliens: Fireteam Elite, which has been surprisingly great so far.

Yeah, I can definitely appreciate this. It’s one of the reasons why I don’t think co-op always makes a game better: more input = more output so it makes it trickier to read and understand. At least solo it’s just your input!

DICE awards