Best Games of 2021 thread

Oh, I think you’ll see that on a lot of best of lists. I’ve only played the demo, but it’s pretty special and really weird.

At least I’ve heart of Nioh 2. What the heck is Northern Journey. Is this Krok showing off that he has a VR rig again? :-p

I’m kind of intrigued. I didn’t like Dusk though, does that mean I’ll probably not like this one? Will I run out of ammo and have to quit like in that game?

I had missed this game as well, but looking into it Inscryption is by the same guy behind Pony Island and The Hex, both excellent games - and also games about games. That’s all I needed to hear to pick this up, and will hopefully play it over Christmas. And from the little I’ve read, it’s best going in as blind as possible, the same as his previous games.

Gamespot’s!

10 Best Games

5 Best PC exclusives

And here’s the New Yorker’s list, for all us snobs out there.

(Lake and TOEM are a couple unique additions!)

Toem was on Polygon’s list as well.

I don’t think “Before your eyes” was on any of the other lists I’ve seen, so I think that’s a unique addition.

Also, I’m kind of numb to the big triple-A releases and where they show up and where they don’t, so I’m surprised to see Resident Evil 8 show up on several lists. It didn’t get favorable buzz here at Qt3.

It was in Paste’s as well from the start of the thread, and having played through it this weekend, it will be on my personal list as well. One of those games that will stay with you for quite a while.

My version.

I buy Inscryption at #1 though

What’s surprising to me is how few games I played this year released in 2021 that deserve to be on my GotY list. Hitman 3 certainly, but virtually nothing else, even though I’ve played many of the games on Polygon’s list. Maybe I’m just becoming jaded or have a short attention span or something.

I probably spent more time playing remastered/enhanced older titles (Mass Effect, Diablo II, Skyrim AE) this year than new games.

I did play Hitman 3, which is excellent, so that’s my GOTY for sure.

The one thing that changed this for me this year is Game Pass. There are at least three or four GOTY list contenders that I probably wouldn’t have touched if not for that.

Wonder how they decided on 17 as the number. Also, they make the right pick for number 1.

A norwegian happysad game

Hmm.

Kotaku’s ongoing list was updated today, so I’m guessing it is their year-end list.

Some interesting inclusions: Lost Judgment, Opus: Echo of a Starsong, Maquette, Highfleet.

Hate slideshow lists. At least they provided a button to view all.

12-15-2021 11-50-47 AM

Whoa, the best video game of 2021 is their list of the best video games of 2021? That’s meta!

I feel like this year kinda sucked for games.

So where is the game list for Strategy games or even deep RPG? Surely somebody outside of QT3 must think Old World deserving some praise?

Did these outlets never play Trials of Fire? I’ll have to wait for the Quarterlies to give it recognition. At least I can mine the best-of lists for some last minute playing of stuff eligible for Quartelies voting.

E.g., Before Your Eyes . I’m very glad it got brought up here, for I would have missed it otherwise. It seems so simple. How did it affect me like that? … Huh, it’s also not on Kotaku’s list. Maybe it doesn’t work well for everyone.