Best Games of 2021 thread

Grabbed Bonfire peaks from epic sale, but playing Wolfstride (also from the sale)

I had some free time so I whipped up a top 10 list for my games of the year.

Really solid picks. I should try Banners of Ruin some day. And Ruined King is in my wishlist.

[Subscribes to @Scotch_Lufkin 's newsletter]

Wow, that’s a really cool list with a lot of thought put into it, but it does reveal that your taste in video games is almost exactly orthogonal to mine :)

I did indeed have to look this up! :)

It just means that I would make my chart so it went left/right instead of up/down… and that we together represent the wonderful diversity of game enthusiasm represented on this forum :)

LOL Yeah, that’s well said - I honestly considered breaking it up into halves so it would be a bit more square shapes - maybe thirds lined up along the edges - but then it might be kind of hard to parse at a glance, like trying to read a comic book can sometimes be a bit confusing. “What panel is next, guys?!”

But this also let’s folks scroll down to the number 1 game and enjoy the journey, if they are (for whatever reason) so inclined.

Now that’s a proper list!

Note to self - if you create a turn-based strategy game, Lufkin will play it. 😁

Hi yeah, solid logic haha! I noticed that as I put the list together but in my defense it was an embarrassment of riches in the genre this year!

I’ve only played a couple of hours of Trials of Fire (months ago). I should spend more time with it. I should definitely keep an eye out on Solasta too.

Trials of Fire seems like a great game for Christmas break. Not too heavy or anything.

I don’t remember why I had it so low on the list of games I’m interested in. Maybe I was in a different mood.

I did record a short video for Trials of Fire when it dropped out of early access - there are probably better videos at this point but it’s the one I recommend! :)

Oh man I work at a place where we need to write “clinical trial” all the damn time and seeing that you also typo “Trail” makes me feel a connection with you.

Advocate for the little guy, Forbes Magazine online, has their top indie games list:

Eh, I 'd lose Nuclear Throne to add one of the others in the honorable mentions, and zero mention anywhere of Chicory or Bonfire Peaks? Those are some big oversights.

I was strangely triggered when I realized only about half the games had an accompanying screenshot. How are you going to talk about a game in text and not at least have an image so the reader has some idea what the game might look/play like?

This one’s a bit different.

I saw that there was a Hot Wheels game out, I had no clue that it was actually good! On the wishlist it goes!

Also, when I expressed interest in the Tokemeki Memorial, someone told me to check out Doki Doki Literature Club, and I wasn’t expected that in a top 10 list of games of 2021, but apparently there was a new version released for the Switch. I should seek that out, just to check out that genre for the first time.

Also need to put more time into Scarlet Nexus. I got turned off by the complex systems. I just need to ignore them and treat it like a Souls-like for a while and see if I can enjoy it without dwelling into changing classes and what-not.

I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes here—unless I was the one that suggested Doki Doki to you, which maybe I was, it’s an interesting game—but I’m not sure that entirely follows based on what I remember you liking about Tokimeki, or rather the way Rogers explained Tokimeki. It’s kind of tough to talk about Doki Doki without spoiling it and you really shouldn’t read too much about it, though Tom’s review of it is pretty good and safe as far as I remember, but lots of the cool/innovative stuff that Tokimeki had is absent in Doki Doki. Doki Doki is worth playing (or at least attempting), but Japanese high school student sim it ain’t.