Best Games of 2021 thread

Is that fair, when it was an expansion that was released this year? Some outlets might not even consider DLC for GOTY lists, even if it’s great (which I’ve heard it is–hoping it’ll be included when it returns to Gamepass).

Maybe not, but if I was putting together a GOTY list I’d fight for it. It’s a triumph, maybe the most confident and essential DLC I’ve played.

Any idea if @tomchick is going to do a year end list? I generally find his insightful.

He is! In fact, he has. He’s just plinking away at the actual writing and hopes to have it posted shortly. Top ten movies, as well, but there are still a couple more I need to see. I appreciate you asking!

-Tom

There were movies this year? :0

Top 10 Food Trucks, please.

yeah, I was wondering if the list was killed by the pandemic. Always refreshing to find new games on your list, Tom, which I would have otherwise dismissed (like Fenyx Rising).

Here’s another, good, list The Best Buried Treasures Of 2021 – Buried Treasure

Haha, same! :-)

Here’s the 2021 list some of you have been waiting for, I think!

This is so frustrating, I look at most of these lists and they really do nothing for me. I may give unpacking a shot just cause its been on so many peoples lists.

But where are the strategy games, builder games, and RPGs?

Strategy and Builders are a bit of a niche and as such need to be exceptional to make it on to the more general lists. RPGs I think it was just a weak year, though I have seen Wildemyth show up on a few (and that’s a bit of a tactics game too)

Building games: Were there any great ones this year? This is my favorite genre, too. I feel like they’re all in Early Access. (I wonder if that dampens their impact when they actually release. Like, if Timberborn is out next year and is great… will everyone overlook it because it made its splash in 2021?) I played Endzone a bit, but personally I don’t see that being up there among the best of the year. Townscaper is a beautiful toy, but would be hard to make the case for it, either.

Strategy games: Board games and card games have kind of swarmed this space. Loop Hero is a good one that has made it on some lists! I haven’t played most of the big 4Xes like Humankind and Old World, so maybe they should be more recognized, but I assume the barrier to entry is higher than most other games.

RPGs: Wildermyth is a strong contender, and I feel like it’s gotten a lot of due attention. I’ve seen Crimson Nexus on a number of lists, and Monster Hunter Rise. What else came out this year? I feel like the western RPG genre is in a post-Disco Elysium stupor…

I guess it wasn’t the strongest year for these segments of gaming, but if I’m wrong, I look forward to learning about some overlooked games in the Quarterlies!

Excellent list, and great blog overall. I’ll have to dive through the archive here, thanks for posting

Solasta and Pathfinder both came out this year. BG3 is coming out sometime soon(ish).

Kena getting a lot of love.

And we’ve got Yahtzee’s list! Of the best, worst and blandest.

I wish I had the ability to listen to Yahtzee for more than one minute, but I can’t. I just… can’t.

I find him amusing because I share his cynicism about the quality of most games.

I do think he’s slowing down though in his old age, he used to talk a lot faster.

My GOTY is a game from 20 years ago - Metroid Prime. I only played it for the first time a few weeks ago so I cannot tell a lie here; it’s my game of the year.