Best GBA console RPGs?

Y’know, I have no idea, although I really don’t think the SNES had THAT many great “traditional” RPGs in the US.

We had:

Final Fantasy 2 (4)
Final Fantasy 3 (6)
Chrono Trigger
Lufia 2
Secret of Mana (sorta)
Earthbound

Were there any other good ones? (pure catspray like 7th Saga, Paladin’s Quest, and the original Lufia don’t count)

That said, I’d attribute the lack to the virtually non-existent support from Square-Enix. It’d be nice to get Dragon Warrior Monsters 3 over here, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

I really enjoyed Inindo for the SNES. One of my fave RPGs ever.

Mario and Luigi is a good RPG and an even better game.

Mr. Sepulchre, Ph.D., as your most trusted confidante, I have to advise you to steer clear of the Mario & Luigi Jumping Game: Now with RPG Stats. I understand why some people like it, but I’m going to guess you won’t be one of those people. I’m not one of those people. I know everyone here had no problem with what I call the Jump Gates – timed jumping puzzles you had to play to move between areas of the world – but that sort of stuff simply is not for me.

Also, when I play an RPG, I’m not really interested in being forced to learn timing routines for my dudes to fight well. That’s their job. They learn the better spells or whatnot, I tell them to use them, they do extra damage, I sit on the sidelines and clap politely.

As for the Sword of Mana game, I’m still digging it, but almost in a Diablo-esque way. I’ve found that it lends itself to short bits of action-ey gaming. Run around, kill some dudes, rack up a bit of experience and some treasure, use the Magic Rope to return the save point when I’m done. When I feel like playing for longer intervals, I power through to a boss or two. So far, I’ve logged about ten hours. I don’t mind the weapon-swapping someone complained about because I’ve figured out the quick-swap commands.

As for the Golden Sun stuff, I gave up on GS1 after seeing how cutscene heavy and linear it was.

-Tom

Whatever you do, don’t listen to Tom.

What kind of crazy, malnourished, drug-crazed tree-hugging hippie WOULD listen to Tom? ;)

What kind of crazy, malnourished, drug-crazed tree-hugging hippie WOULD listen to Tom? ;)[/quote]

Dr. Crypt, I presume.

I can’t see how a person could exist and not thoroughly enjoy Mario & Luigi, but I don’t know how Tom sits through half of those boring indie flicks… so I guess it is just a matter of taste.

Tom, are you talking about the “jump rope” bits? There aren’t many of them, and I thought they were pretty easy – I don’t think any single one of them took me more than two or three tries to beat.

I also think they’re an incredibly small and trivial portion of the game. In fact, I’d completely forgotten about them.

However, yeah, you do have a point: if rhythmically tapping A then B to maneuver Mario and Luigi over an undulating cord could potentially give you an aneurysm and make your limp wrists flail about in a grand mal of gaming frustration, then there’s a few points in this 25+ hour game where those of a severely motor-challenged variety might find themselves huffing into a paper bag.

Of course, you’d be missing the great irreverent writing, devious scenario design, and totally unique art direction. On the other hand, what’s all that compared to another big-headed, doe-eyed anime romp through a bog-standard fantasy trope?

Wait, can’t you get Phantasy Star 1-3 on GBA in one cart?

I loved those PRGs, especially because the characters ran around the city like they were on crack.

Mario & Luigi should be your choice. That and Fire Emblem are my favorite GBA games from last year. M&L is one of the best games on any platform released in calendar 2003.

–Dave

I hated M&L combat. I like “Hit A button 90 times” styled combat.

For me the combat is one of the best things about it. I love that I have some control over whether the enemy connects with an attack. I also dig the ability to add power to my hits by timing a button press. That’s all good IMO.

Anything that makes a game more interactive is alright in my book.

–Dave

Phantasy Star Collection is kinda, sorta good choice, except it totally leaves off Phantasy Star 4, which is my favorite console RPG of all time. That just blows: I’m hard pressed to think of a more stylish game released before the current renaissance of 2D gaming. I’m not going to pay for a collection that leaves off the one game I actually want.

Chick’s probably crazy about Mario and Luigi, especially since he criticises Golden Sun as a console RPG for being “cutscene heavy and linear”… which is basically the hallmark of a console RPG and consequently more or less what I’m looking for, except after that aposiopesis are the words fun and colorful and multiple exclamation points interlaced with 1’s. Plus there’s that entire Mr. Sepulchre stuff, which is really dregging itself in its unflappable conformity to a set rotation of dull, plodding adjectives. Maybe a Colonel Horatio Q. Necropolis, L.H.D.O.P.P.U.N.O.M.E from time to time or something would mix it up a bit. As it is, I’m not sure a man who subscribes to such gray Orwellian uniformity in his sarcasm quote jokes unquote can be trusted on recommending a fresh, invigorating and colorful console RPG experience, especially since he seems a tad confused about what a console RPG actually is. And since Doug Erickson has been writing some really astounding stuff lately, I’m gonna go with any blanket recommendations of his. Still, as Trixie points out, I have a long history of bovinely ambling after the clang of Tom’s critical bell, so I guess I’ll have to buy Sword of Mana too. It’s been a long time since - despite Doug’s sneer - I’ve had a good cut-above-bog-standard fantasy trope in the company of big haired, adrogynous hydrocephalics. But Chick, if this sucks, you’re sending me a better game.

What about Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance? The Gamespot review is really favorable of it as a portable Diablo 2.

Yeah, where the fuck is Phantasy Star IV? It was released in such low quantities and was so ridiculously expensive and was such a good game that you’d think it’d be a lock for a GBA port. Stupid Sega.

Seriously. That game has so much personality and is so excellently executed I still get tingly thinking back on the first time I played it. Fantastic art with loads of colors (especially the anime inspired cut sequences, but also the art direction on the enemies), a phenomenal soundtrack, some great effects, three completely fleshed out worlds, a non-linear miniquest system and the player’s gradually amounting sense of total bad-ass-dom. I can’t understand why Sega didn’t relase Phantasy Start 4 for the GBA first. I liked the others well enough, but Phantasy Star 4 would have been a better starting point if they wanted to sell the Collection - I pity the fool who isn’t sucked completely into PS4. Of course, they went the other way, the Collection probably sold mediocrely and now there’s no portable PS4 in sight Sigh.

Well, considering PSIV used the same chip as Virtua Racing on the Genesis which was a special one found only in those two cartridges, the rewrite/emulation of the games on the GBA was probably a lot harder than it was to do the first three. I think that’s the explanation for the missing PSIV.

It also looks like it’s not too expensive to pick up the original Genesis version which now that you guys were talking about it, I just might do…

Screw that big eBay link… it looks like $30 or less for it.

–Dave

Well, if I wanted to play PS4 at home, I can just break out the emulator. Buying a Genesis copy isn’t really what I want - I want a GBA copy, dammit. I hope Sega remedies this oversight soon.

Man, I was just looking over some Phantasy Star 4 pages and, jeez, has any 16 bit RPG looked this good?

Think I’m going to play this again on the laptop while I wait for my GBASP.

I wonder why it is that Phantasy Star is more popular in the US than it is in Japan.

I was reading over this thread and then looked at what Doug listed as the SNES’s traditional RPGs and DrCrypt’s question of, “has any 16 bit RPG looked this good” (I’d argue Chrono Trigger and Seiken Densetsu III as well Dragon Quest VI look better, but meh, why, when its obvious Phantasy Star IV is gorgeous too?) and I had thought Gran Historia had been released in the US. But a quick research seems to say it hasn’t been.

Quick lowdown: Gran Historia a was neat, cool SFC RPG that kind of crossed Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star. That is, it was science fiction, with a front-view battle system and a Phantasy Star-type plodding progress, but revolved around correcting moments in time so that a better outcome would result in a future where the good guys didn’t lose. You had this history list in your menu and you’d go through ages to the most important points in time to confront the problems. One of the other cool points about the game was that it was first person view on all sides, that is, the screen would pivot around front, back, forward and side depending on where enemies attacked you from, and there were combos and moves that were only effective dependent on how your party was facing.

It strikes me as odd that we seem to have gone back to 16-bit days in terms of translating RPGs for the GBA. Just a cursory list is astounding, ignoring all the bad RPGs or questionable ones: Snap Kids, Shin Megami Tensei (remake), Shin Megami Tensei If (remake), Mother 1 and 2 (remake), Tomato Adventure, Magical Vacation, Oriental Blue, Narikiri Dungeon 2, Tales of Phantasia (remake), Summoner’s Lineage, Wizardry Summoner, Summon Night: Sword Story and Klonoa Heroes. I also imagine the QT3 type of taste would go nuts for something like Chocobo Land which can best be described as Culdcept meets Chocobos.

I also imagine the GBA would be an ideal platform to re-release or give translations to games that never appeared in the US, like Dragon Quest V and VI, the other two Phantasy Star games that didn’t come over (small contributions to the series, but neat nonetheless, especially if they came in pack games), Seiken Densetsu III, Shin Megami Tensei, Romancing Saga (and the second one too!), Rudora’s Treasure, Mystic Ark, Front Mission and so on. It would also be great to to let wider audiences play all the fantastically different RPGs that came out in the SFC period, games like Down the World, or Monstania, or Traverse: Starlight & Prairie, or Dark Law, or The Demon of Laplace, Sword World, Solid Runner or the awesome, awesome, awesome Chaos Seed.

I’ll throw in a vote for Sword of Mana, as it was my favorite game last year, BTW. I simply disagree with nearly all the criticism it has received, and I don’t mention it much, because I’m not much for arguing. However, I loved the many enormous, 16-bit style colorful, large bosses with lots of attacks, the wonderful environments, sense of color and colorful, redone music tracks. I’m inclined to be more impressed by the AI characters that follow you around than not, since the original game its remaking, they were far, far dumber and far less useful. A combination of switching characters, changing the AI command for a given situation and micromanaging them every once in a while made up for their weak AI, and made for such a different play experience, that I played through the game once ignoring them and the next time baby-sitting them and both were fun experiences. I can’t fathom why people don’t like the weapon and armor creation system (and no, this isn’t an invitation to tell me), I understood and used it a lot, but perhaps you have to like the game in the first place, and if you don’t, you just don’t put any effort into it, I dunno.

I also LIKED how they revamped the very old storyline, giving more character and attention to all of the characters, and I thought a lot of dialogue was great and very funny in that lighted Seiken Densetsu/Mana way and the cutscene direction was top-notch, though maybe it didn’t translate well. There are annoyingly old cliched scenes though, maybe they could have taken them out, but since it is a remake, I guess they didn’t want to.

The game has an absolutely huge overworld, lots of things to pay attention, a great magic system that determines whether its helpful or harmful on how long you hold down the button and how the spell acts, depending on what type of weapn you’re weilding. My favorite two additions were the addition of a day/night transition (always a plus) and tons of secrets and additions to gameplay because of it (its really well used), like all the little mini-quests and sub events that you can get, Infinity Engine/Fallout style and spend your time on, that and the fabulous way each enemy can be defined by senses, i.e. how well they hear, see or smell you depending on certain factors. Putting smelly grass on the ground to attract bees away from your weak healer and then standing back and pummeling them as they fall to was great fun, as was going to a certain area at a time when night-sight enemies were effectively blind was too. I also liked how they had biological clocks of a sort and would fall asleep at certain times of the day.

Anyway, I’m a great fan of this entire series and was really pleased with this remake.

I had no idea Lufia was so buggy, that’s a shame, because other than a small one that makes some party members attack a little slower than they should, this isn’t the case with the Japanese release. Though it has all the other same problems, I would say its the second best in the series, behind Lufia 2 and a very solid and good RPG in its own right. It just has rather noticeable flaws.

Its more of an adventure game than an RPG, but if you can deal with the sunlight thing, I thought Boktai was absolutely superb. Its an excellent all around game with the type of long-term play time, exploration and tropes you’ll see or like in console RPGs (and some of the tweaking as well). If it wasn’t for the whole sunlight sensor idea, I bet the game would have gotten more respect and better reviews. Though the sunlight has proved to be a problem for me, so I thought it was an awesome game and the best adventure game on the system, by far.

Speaking of pseudo-RPGs, the two Lord of the Rings games, The Two Towers and Return of the King offer very Diablo-esque gameplay that ain’t anything too special, but also isn’t bad. The skill trees for each character and the types of Tolkienesque drops that can be found were especially well thought-out I thought. Not sure on Baldur’s Gate, I haven’t played it. Will one day though. Farther on the pseudo-RPG scale are the Castlevania trilogy for the GBA. They all have cursory “RPG elements” like certain amounts of non-linearity and character-building, but they’re such fabulous action games with the addition of RPGesque elements that they could be a lot of fun if you’re willing to look past the fact that they don’t play like your typical RPG.

Golden Sun 2 comes recommended as well. There’s lots to like about it and its closest to the type of game you seem to want.

One series of RPGs no one has mentioned, but that are fabulous are the Rockman.exe games or Mega Man Battle Network. In each of the game’s Mega Man is simply a net navi who travels on the isometric net passages in the game busting viruses while Lan, his user journeys around the real world. It has a very unique battle system that is somewhere in between an action RPG without the M&L timing and jumping, a card battle game where you make decks and sometimes luck is important and a regular RPG with all the character building and stats you’d expect. The games are large and have everything you’d expect from a console RPG. Especially after the first game. All of them are worth playing, even the spin-off that is only battles and no more RPG or plot, they are currently four games released, with the fifth on its way. I recommend Battle Network 2 if you think might like the others, it corrects some problems in the first and is just an overall huge game, but if you want more there is the even huger Battle Network 3, or if you just like the battles without all the other stuff, Chip Challenge. Its especially nice if you like Mega Man games, because there’s lots of great references for fans of the series.

Have you played a Lunar game? If not there’s Lunar Legend, which is very old-school, but I’d only recommend it really if you’re looking for something to remind you of the 16-bit age, its what we “jidai okure” in Japanese, which kind of means the opposite of the phrase ahead of its time in English. Not bad if you’re looking for that, its just nothing spectacularly good, especially if you have to pay a lot for it (is importing cheaper then?)

My highest recommendations would be for Golden Sun 2, Mega Man Battle Network 2 or Sword of Mana for this reason: they’re all long, large games with great replay value, they’ve all got excellent graphics and sound, and they all fighting systems with some appreciably high layers of depth and strategy in them.

-Kitsune

Kitsune, man, you know I love your goodnatured wackiness and indefatigable, authoritative knowledge of console games, but man, scrolling through one of your posts is sometimes like squinting through a telescope trying to see the edge of infinity. Don’t stop, though… a real good post, although I don’t think 9/10ths of those games you mentioned are even available here. But you have given me some more faith in Sword of Mana.