Best GPS for the iPhone?

MOBILE OS WARZ!

This is Qt3, not shitty Engadget. We can talk about things with reason (unless Nitram is involved, I can only say his name twice more before he envelops the thread in his own sort of insanity).

Though Denny, Apple iOS growth is once again on the rise and Android growth is slowing ;).

But yeah, Android Navigation is flipping awesome and maybe the most compelling reason to get one over an iPhone. I used it today and it was wonderful.

I can vouch for Navigon. I’ve used it in the US and Canada. Am using it today to drive back to Texas. I take my iPhone and a car charger with me on trips and the Navigon has worked all over the USA (and Montreal) for me. I’ve never has any trouble connecting to a GPS. In fact, I’ve been amazed at how good the GPS connection has been at times. I have an iPhone4 on AT&T.

Navigon is good. It’s got way more versions than I’d like to see, but it works well once you choose one.

How does GPS work on the Iphone, it’s there but no default software uses it? Or is there some sort of charge for enabling the GPS at all, and then you have to pay for GPS aware apps as well?

H.

Every iPhone includes a GPS receiver (you don’t pay any extra to use it) and they come with the basic Google Maps app which can show you your location on a map via GPS, but the OS includes no turn-by-turn navigation solution. You have to get one from the app store if you want to use your phone as a “GPS unit” in the common/non-techie sense of that term.

Ah, thanks for the info.

H.

Garmin and Navigon continue to be ahead of the pack. They’ve released iPhone 5/iOS6 targeted versions quicker than TomTom and CoPilot.

TomTom for example, lags even in Android: TomTom releases an Android app… that only works on older low-res devices

You neglected to include a lisping call to necromancy.