Best Mario RPG?

No Shit, Bonerz option. Sorry.

Well, they’re all awesome, but I think for me it’s a toss-up between Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario 2. I flipped a coin and wound up voting for Super Mario RPG though.

Mario & Luigi just edges out Thousand Year Door, IMO.

I am convinced the DS one will win teh prize!1!1! but it’s not out yet.

I’m currently playing Mario & Luigi. I’ve fiddled around with Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario and have liked both of them. But I’m just having more fun with Mario & Luigi than any grown man should.

Fawful wins my vote hands down.

As great as SMRPG and the Paper Marios are, there’s just no doubt that Mario & Luigi with its superb cast of supporting insanity is the hands down winner.

–Dave

Aye, I voted for the incredible Mario and Luigi. While the formula of the Mario RPGs is wearing just a little thin and I hope they bring in a lot of new stuff for the sequel, Mario’s RPGs have repeatedly been a blast to play.

I haven’t played Super Mario RPG for a long time, but when I did, I remember it was amazing.

Wow, no love for the original PM? I had a blast with that one, the only one I never set aside for any length of time before finishing. Even Superstar Saga stopped being fun in Bowletta’s castle.

The formula is wearing thin? What formula? Super Mario RPG, Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario all play completely differently. I mean, sure there are similarities inherent to the genre and the Mario franchise, but I don’t see how they could be much more different otherwise.

I’m really pulling for M&L2 DS! Very excited for that one.

M&L gets my first vote, Thousand Year door was mighty impressive in the time I spent with it, which was brief.

Never was a fan of SMRPG, and PM1 was merely ok in my book.

I’ve only played SMRPG. It was decent

Granted there are some changes from game to game, but playing “completely differently” is an exaggeration. I mean, all the games involve seven stars, for one, and they all have pretty much the same battle system going on, with the timed strikes and everything. M&L just throws in Luigi (to excellent effect). I love the series, but playing M&L and PM 1 & 2 all in the span of about a year, it kind of blended together. The two PM’s especially, I suppose.

There were seven stars in Mario & Luigi? What?

Same battle system? How?

–Dave

I was about to ask about that, actually. They do? That’s a disappointment. I’ve played through about half of Paper Mario, and I think that’s why I never went back to it. I certainly planned to pick it back up, but I just couldn’t sit through the battles for any period of extended play. To take something as repetitive as an RPG turn-based battle system and throw in that little bit of interactivity to spice things up certainly sounds like a smart move, but it led me to dread battles. The repetition was in no way alleviated (I don’t mean to point to Paper Mario as a particularly bad offender among RPGs, it just comes with the territory), and the balance of the fights seemed to require constant perfection in timing rather than simply offering a bonus when I got it right. It became tedious and loathsome.

SMRPG, absolutely. What other game allows you to do a bounce on the heads of the (almost) Power Rangers? :)

There were seven stars in SMRPG, PM, and PM2. Mario and Luigi had beans instead, but hey, same difference.

Mario and Luigi is more of an outlier from the other three, as it did a great job integrating more puzzle-based gameplay, but all the games have the same primary attacks, the same attack and blocking methods, and the same timing conceit. PM 1 and 2 even had very similar interludes with Peach every chapter. M&L2 I will happily purchase, but I’m going to need more to motivate me if there’s a PM3.

I don’t see why you’re making a big issue out of this. Clearly if SMRPG hadn’t been created by Square, the developers for the other games would have had a hard time creating the games we have now out of thin air.

Who’s making a big deal out of this?

Rather than rebut this…

“I don’t see why you’re making a big issue out of this. Clearly if SMRPG hadn’t been created by Square, the developers for the other games would have had a hard time creating the games we have now out of thin air.”

I’m going to just stop here and say Mario & Luigi is better than all of them.

–Dave

“I don’t see why you’re making a big issue out of this. Clearly if SMRPG hadn’t been created by Square, the developers for the other games would have had a hard time creating the games we have now out of thin air.”

cracks knuckles and glares ominously at Moggraider

I can make a big deal out of this, but I really don’t think you want me to.

Intelligent Systems threw nearly everything Square had done with SMRPG out the window to make Paper Mario and then Alpha Dream very nearly did the same thing with Mario & Luigi. Thousand Year Door is a massive improvement and change over the original, especially in the battle system.

-Kitsune

Now you did it, Moggraider.

–Dave