Best Movie Intro's?

Ok so I snagged the hyper super xtreme Terminator 2 DVD on Sunday and started to watch it and it made me realize that seriously Terminator 2 has one of the best intro’s in a movie ever. The first lets say 4ish min of the movie set it up great the whole part with the fire burning the playground just rocks. Also the future part with the Terminators stomping on skulls is always a good time.

What other movies have outstanding intro’s that just make you go whoa? I prolly need to watch more movies or something but it really just sticks out in my mind as being great.

Fellowship of the Ring and Serenity were both good. Can’t really think of any non-nerdy ones.

I liked the first couple minutes of Swordfish.

Once Upon a Time in the West has THE opening sequence to end all opening sequences. I think it achieved the status of being the longest opening sequence without dialogue, or some such accolade. But it’s brilliant, if you can get people you’re watching it with to shut the fuck up. Silence in films is there for a reason, fuckos, it is not an opportunity for you to gab on like a twat.

The Thing also has a pretty awesome intro sequence: a chopper flying through snowy desolation, in pursuit of a solitary dog. Desperation, paranoia, brutality - that’s the whole film right there, in the first few minutes.

The Thing also has a pretty awesome intro sequence: a chopper flying through snowy desolation, in pursuit of a solitary dog. Desperation, paranoia, brutality - that’s the whole film right there, in the first few minutes.

I agree with that having just watched that a few weeks ago.

Kung Fu Hustle has a great opening.

The 8 minute tracking shot that opens The Player is pretty good too.

Super Troopers

Ditto on Once Upon a Time in the West. It’s pretty much the only reason I pop that DVD in anymore.

Gattaca has a great credits sequence.

Monti Pithon ik den Holie Grailen!

Raising Arizona

The introes to Layer Cake and Donnie Darko(non director) forshadowed the mood of the movie well. And I’ll second Super Troopers

I liked the opening of Brazil a great deal…poor mr Buttle.

Also, although I know it’s not kosher to like this movie anymore, I think Fight Club still has one of the best credits/intro combos. That, coupled with one of the best end sequences in recent memory made me really enjoy it.

Hard Boiled. Just how much ammo does Chow Yun Fat go through in the Birdhouse Cafe?

The extended version of Return of the King. Finally seeing the full story from Gollumn’s perspective is a great intro to the final movie in the trilogy. Emphasizes his role in the whole story.

I like the intros to Blade 1, Indiana Jones 1, and Cube.

Best opening sequence in the history of movies: The Wild Bunch. “If they move, kill 'em.”

Second place: Touch Of Evil, with Orson Welles’ masterful tracking shot. Altman quotes this very shot in the opening of The Player.

It’s no Touch of Evil, but I really dug the opening sequence to The Hidden with Kyle MacLachlan. But overall, the winner has to be Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I’ll go geek with Serenity, and its forebears. The long tracking shot in Touch of Evil and its post modern jibe in The Player.

Desperado also had a great opening.

Magnolia (the rest of the film goes downhill for me)
Way of the Gun
Fellowship of the Ring and Two Towers (Return of the King’s was limp)
The Matrix (remember the first time you saw it?)
Star Wars (back in the day)
8 1/2
Usual Suspects
Lost (not a movie, but I rewatched the first half of the pilot the other week, hell of an intro to the whole series)