Best Movie Intro's?

Another vote for Touch Of Evil and The Player.

X-Men. The concentration camp thing for Magneto was arguably the best thing about either movie, and that’s not meant as an insult to the rest of them. There’s nothing groundbreaking about the scene compared to any other movie about Nazis or whatever, but for a movie about guys in tights, it was great to start us off and let us know that this wasn’t going to be cartoony.

Nightcrawler’s opening in X-men 2. Blew me out of the water on the big screen. Blade one as well. Plus more love for the opening eight and a half minutes of Layer cake - I tell friends who I’m making watch it for the first time that they only have to watch that bit and then they can stop the movie if they want. No takers yet.

C.

Favorite first shot- Boyz in the Hood. The stop sign with bullet holes, just worked.
Credits- Jungle Fever with the street signs, Napolian Dynamite with the food.
Oh shit opening minutes- Raiders
LoTR:FFoTR
Star Wars- At the time, admit it…WTF? that thing is HUGE!
Desperato
Godfather-not action packed, but still one of my favorite 10 minutes’you come to me on the day of my daughter’s wedding…’
Apocolypse Now- Ooops Did I really just freak out and really cut my hand open?

Dead or Alive (Hanzaisha). A japanese businessman does a line of coke 20 feet long, a man gets shot in the gut after eating gallons of noodles, and a guy takes a shotgun from a clown to shoot a man through the roof of his car and more, all in the first five minutes.

80% of the movie is actually kind of tame, but what part is action is pretty well excellent.

I thought Jaws had a pretty effective opening. That scene when shes out in the water all alone and shark takes its’s first bite still creeps me out.

What, no love for Pulp Fiction?

I second Dead or Alive. The greatest opening sequence I have even seen. Plus it also has the greatest ending to a film EVAR!

Too bad the rest of the film is mediocre at best.

I love the whole thing. The ending would not be anywhere near as good as it is if it were not for the careful cops vs robbers story that unfolds in the middle. I agree that the start and the end are radically different to the central section, I just disagree that this is because the middle sucks. It is just a different tone. It’s not like any of Miike’s films are consistent.

The Blues Brothers has a pretty cool intro, with Jake being released from prison, collecting his few personal items (“One pair of sunglasses, black… One prophylactic… soiled.” etc.) and then standing silhouetted as the prison doors open to the sound of the first brassy notes of She Caught The Katy.

I guess I’ll take the plunge and say Goldmember, espcially if you haven’t been spoiled and are expecting it.

The opening of Lord of War is phenomenal. The bit where they follow a bullet from creation to its final destination is amazing and hard hitting. The rest of the movie… eh, not so much.

Saving Private Ryan is the first thing that comes to my mind.

Many of the opening sequences that people have listed are dense action sequences, but I can think of at least a few movies that have quiet, subtle opening scenes that are just as effective. The opening to Spirited Away, for instance, is an understated bit of genius. Ditto for the opening scene in Alien.

Cartman- The first like 3 minutes of Saving Private Ryan are an elderly man wandering around a graveyard. The Omaha beach action setpiece is cool, but it’s also like one fifth of the movie.

Dr. Strangelove, if you consider the intro to be the entire movie up until Ripper starts on about bodily fluids.

I have some suggestions NATCH but first I have to add to the Fellowhip otR love. I mean, all I need is to hear is Galadriel intone “The world…has changed” and I get chills - and I’m glued to the screen for almost 4 hours.

My personal favorite is Apocalypse Now. Okay, The Doors singing “The End” is ghey, but the shots of the Hueys and shit are BAWCE. But it really grabs me by the short and curlies when the Sheenster (his reprisal of the role in Hot Shots Part Deux was the best cameo ever) starts going off:

[i][CENTER]Hotel room in Saigon :

WILLARD (v.o.)

"Saigon, shit. I’m still only in Saigon. Every time I think I’m going to
wake up back in the jungle. When I was home after my first tour,
it was worse. I’d wake up and there’d be nothing…
I hardly said a word to my wife until I said yes to a divorce.
When I was here I wanted to be there. When I was there, all I
could think of was getting back into the jungle.
I’ve been here a week now. Waiting for a mission, getting
softer. Every minute I stay in this room I get weaker. And every minute
Charlie squats in the bush he gets stronger.
Each time I look around the walls move in a little tighter.

Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted a mission, and for my sins
they gave me one. Brought it up to me like room service. "

(Two soldiers approach the hotel room)

SOLDIER

“Captain Willard ? Are you in there ?”

WILLARD

“Yeah.”

WILLARD (v.o.)

“It was a real choice mission. And when it was
over, I’d never want another.”[/CENTER][/i]

I have a soft spot for The Burbs, since it’s a CG tracking shot flying into Earth (from the Universal logo) all the way down to the suburb where the film takes place.

I dunno exactly what it is/was with Kubrick films but I saw them periodically throughout my childhood, and I was transifixed by each and every one of them the second they began - and this was before I even knew who he was, or that all of the films were even his. I didn’t until my Pops told me (he thought I already knew and had developed an early fanboy idolatry of Ol’ Stan).

The Usual Suspects was as clever as the rest of the film, since it tricks you into thinking Verbal was hiding behind all them ropes and shit watching Keyser Soze kill his teammates.

I KNOW EVERYONE HATES M KNIGHT SHYAMALAN but I liked the beginning of Unbreakable, with Willis on the train. You get an unsavory impression of him, with him hiding his wedding ring and making a cheesy pass at that girl, since you haven’t gotten the whole skinny on him yet. It had jack shit to do with the storyline, but it was a neat turn of character that I have always admired.

Star Wars FTW, though.

for the love of god, why are people compelled to pluralized words that end in vowels with the apostrophe? the apostrophe is showing up everywhere to pluralize things and it’s driving me crazy how retarded it all looks.

<cough>

oh, and i vote for cube.

I just remembered one of the coolest: Melville’s Le Samourai has a really chilled opening scene with just a perfectly composed shot of the assassin’s room. Really effective stuff.