Best Movie Theme Songs?

The themes from Repoman and The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Acros the Eighth Dimension.

Whaaa Whaaa Waaa

I am with Jeff here and will second Indy

Forgot Buckaroo Banzai! Classic film…and O Brother Where Art Thou is a good call for evoking an era and place that fit so well into the context of the movie

Yeah, I was flipping through stations on a recent long drive and heard this again. It’s just a great tune.

Not hard, considering that much of that music was recorded or written during the era in which the movie took place.

We have a winner. Amazing call.

Not exactly “theme music,” because I can’t even remember any of the original score that the Copola’s wrote, but Apocalypse Now, because I’ve never been able to listen to “The Ride of the Valkyries” in quite the same way since.

Hmmmm. Never saw Mishima but just added it to my NetFlix queue based on this discussion. I like Paul Schrader’s stuff and Philip Glass, so I’m psyched!

That reminded me of another nominee for the topic at hand: Sorcerer.
(not the best EVAR but memorably hypnotic)

No kidding. An extra character who wandered in from another movie. Ugh.

I’ve heard that complaint before. I find it incomprehensible: the zither is an intrinsic part of the Third Man experience.

And, Gordon, come on, Tron? Have you heard how well that score holds up when it’s not the 80s anymore?

The Tron score (by the formidable Wendy Carlos) is superb, Tom. I have heard it recently and it holds up extremely well. But then, I am a devotee of synth music who spends his spare time listening to old C64 Sid-chip tunes – so I may be biased. I don’t consider the '80s to be some dark period in music because they used a lot of synthesizers. Any device that generates a tone can be musical in its own right, and I love the sound of synthesizers when they are used well.

The Jaws motif (an ascending minor second) is indeed a marvel of musical economy. But can you really say Beethoven’s 5th (I assume you’re referring to it) only uses 2 notes, since the first one is repeated 3 times?

I’ve heard that complaint before. I find it incomprehensible: the zither is an intrinsic part of the Third Man experience.

I’m with Gordon on this one. The zither is intrinsically tied to the mood and atmosphere of the movie. I can’t imagine it without it.

The Jaws motif (an ascending minor second) is indeed a marvel of musical economy. But can you really say Beethoven’s 5th (I assume you’re referring to it) only uses 2 notes, since the first one is repeated 3 times?[/quote]

Nope, not the 5th. The opening bars of the 9th Smphony, just before the main theme is established, use only two notes.

Do you mean the bit where the orchestra seems to be tuning up? I always found that a peculiar beginning. I still haven’t been able to wrap my mind around the 9th (except for the magnificent scherzo).

Yes, it does initially sound like the orchestra is tuning up, then it resolves into two distinct notes.

If it’s a Philip Glass-like score, I’ll give it a pass. Never could get into his stuff. Like a modern Vivaldi: Musical composition via stencil.

Disney’s Aladdin, Good Morning Vietnam, A Clockwork Orange, Pump Up the Volume, The Mask, Swingers, Swing Kids. Not counting musical (as in broadway) scores which are nearly an uncountable set.

Glory.
Crimson Tide.

Thanks for the input so far guys! Looks like the weekend will be a movie listen fest.

Then you’re in for a treat – don’t expect a traditional narrative, but it’s one of my favourite movies ever. Right up there with Schrader’s best.

And a better Glass score than even Candyman 2!

It may be very dated, but I’ve been listening to the Clockwork Orange score a lot recently, like Tron by Wendy Walter Carlos, particularly the title song (Purcell’s Funeral Music for Queen Mary).