Best of Gaming 2017

It was the worst game I played this year. The story made no sense, the characters were awful, the gameplay was boring, and technically it was a mess. The saving grace for me could’ve been the mp (as I enjoyed it in ME3), but even that they ruined it with a slow as fuck progression system (I never managed to get a character to level 20), combined with predatory loot boxes.

It was a really, really bad game.

Guy needs an editor :/

The indie top 100 confused me until I clicked on articles and read the three follow-ups for the results. That is just for voting, which is now closed.

Yeah I was confused looking at it also.

I searched around their site, here is the top 10 of the 100 , I think…

Foxhole must be really popular. :|

I’m just happy I survived all those lists without any new desire to buy anything. Whew…

Someone on reddit posted a link about why Andromeda was so high on Eurogamer’s list when they all trashed it. (Don’t actually read this, it’s absurdly long.)

So blame whomever Wesley Yin-Poole is.

Man, reading that puts their whole GOTY list in an even worse light.

Donlan: I think it [Destiny 2] belongs in there because it reveals that we are only human, and sometimes you play shit games and you really enjoy them because of bad reasons.

Martin: I think Divinity 2 should be in the top 10. I haven’t played it, but just from what I know about it.

My takeaway: Sounds like their lists were wildly divergent so anything that they all played ended up near the top, which also lets something like Mass Effect end up relatively high.

edit: There’s also a pretty big Hellblade spoiler in the article, for anyone who has that in their backlog.

IRC chat logs as content. This is what I ask from websites. Fuck writing.

Well, there you go. Someone puts a game they enjoyed high on their list and it’s a “fucking travesty”. That’s why Metacritic is bullshit in a nutshell.

To be fair, that’s the guy who wrote the bit that was quoted earlier about Mass Effect being boring beyond measure, so I am guessing somebody may be depressed.

I’m not familiar with these people and I haven’t read the reviews in question but I gathered someone skewed the voting results and caught hell for it. If that’s not the case, my bad.

The weirdest part of that article is that beside Paul, Oli, Wes, Martin, etc., they’ve got a staff member whose first name is Double Tap. Who names their kid Double Tap?

I should have heeded that advice. Now my eye is twitching because this is basically the entire argument for them bumping Prey away from the top 10 position it had after their voting:

Um, so people who didn’t play the game had no opinion on it? No shit?

EG readers’ list:

Just picked up and played Stories Untold in one sitting, based on a recommendation in the voting for best 2017 games thread, which I don’t want to pollute with discussion. It’s on sale on Steam right now, and I wholeheartedly recommend it.

I tried this briefly, and was annoyed that I couldn’t do things like “look” or “inventory”. I seemed to have to remember on what I had already done. This bothered my adventure game roots.

Yeah, its text parser is very rudimentary. Even Zork 1 had “l” for “look around”. Great game, though, and worth playing through. It isn’t very long.

I’m so glad that I’m old and going to die soon, you people are all fucked. At what point in our society do people just walk around banging themselves on the head with frying pans? Natural selection has failed us.

I don’t usually watch any Total Biscuit but heard about this list through the Invisigun Heroes Discord. Of all the lists I’ve seen, this probably gets closest to my own (Mario + Rabbids, Invisigun Heroes and Battlerite). There are even a couple of games that I’ve got lined up next (The Sexy Brutale and Tooth and Tail). It’s late due to health issues on TB’s part.