Best of Gaming 2017

Just collapse them using ‘Hide Details’.

Like so!

Yep. A lot better than a pdf. No one is going to read a pdf. (Except @Richard_Holt, who obviously did). I’m still wondering what the rest of Scott’s list looks like.

It’s a PowerPoint that he took a picture of and posted on imgur.

Nice. Snake Pass made your top of 2017 list, but Yoka Laylee didn’t make the list. Telling!

I got your back!

Summary

One is fine. Multiple details hidden in a same post usually end up with the forum software crapping out when I want to post something, until whenever.
There were 10 of those, wasn’t going to try my luck!

Hey, I looked at it!

I was just joking Rob. I can see that 60 people clicked on the link. (Well, back when I posted that, 61 clicks now).

I was just giving you a hard time, well - because it’s fun :-)

It’s funny that this time of year, I’m hurrying to finish some games so that I can do a more informed vote in the Quarterlies. But this year, I’m so far behind, I don’t feel that pressure. I’ll try to finish Wolfenstein II before the end of the year, but if I can’t, I’ll probably still have it in second place behind Andromeda. I’m not entirely sure yet. Andromeda had that one boss fight, on the ice planet that was my favorite boss fight of all time. I doubt Wolf 2 can top that fight. But we’ll see.

Wow, I did not expect to see that in here! Blast from the past. Loved it back when I was a kid, so much so I pulled a sickie at school to play it. I remember the village feeling alive because it was the first game I’d played where characters had their own schedules and homes. I loved just walking around exploring and the pixel art was great. Never got past a particular fight sequence after you get through that main door/gate in the forest. This is where you tell me I was right near the end :-)

@krayzkrok I played Snake Pass at an expo while it was still in development last year and was really impressed by it. Interestingly the developers, Sumo Digital, are based in nearby Sheffield and the name of the game comes from this local road. Pretty cool and perfect given the nature of the game.

Thanks!

Ugh. Final Fantasy XII being so high on your list. Our tastes have diverged too much now Scott.

https://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Kefka-laugh.gif

I’ve been meaning to play these games for years. Oddly, I played lots of Wadjet Eye published games this year, but not Blackwell! Perhaps next year.

What an awesome year for games!

1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild - This is my favorite gaming experience ever. It’s my dream game; systems-heavy, exploration-focused action-adventure, complimented by gorgeous presentation and near-endless surprises. Even after 100 hours, the game simply refuses to stop revealing new things! The game keeps presenting me with situations that throw me off balance; I can’t rely on rote gameplay reflexes. It’s not that I don’t love the familiar, that’s what keeps me coming back to FPS campaigns, but there’s something about how the systems interact, complimented by just the right amount of authored/scripted content and feedback, which I just find myself losing hours to this thing at a time where I can’t afford to stay up late! I know immersive is a word that gets thrown around too much, but I just find this game engages me in a way that others can’t approach, at least not since the original Thief.
  2. Super Mario Odyssey - The best 3D platformer I’ve ever played. So polished and manages to remain consistently inventive despite such a small amount of player inputs: you can jump, throw your hat, and move. That’s it. The way Nintendo mixes these simple commands together, however, is fucking magic. Odyssey feels like a love letter to the series. I love that there’s no hard-timer for most of the levels, and that Nintendo finally removed outdated concepts like lives and having to restart a world upon picking up a critical collectible.
  3. Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Just like the other two games on my list, I feel that D:OS 2 is the best game its respective genre has seen in years. It’s certainly my favorite CRPG since Planescape Torment. After all the studio’s struggles, I’m so happy to see Larian enjoy a runaway critical and commercial success. An absurdly generous game that offers a ridiculous amount of content, which is complimented by an unprecedented level of reactivity.
  4. Hollow Knight - An instant Oz-produced classic! Hallownest is an fantastic setting, recalling pre-shitty Tim Burton in the best possible way. I’m in love with this game!
  5. Resident Evil 7 - For a series that’s known for changing direction and moving in bold, new directions, I really enjoyed how faithful Resident Evil 7 was to the PS1-era classics, despite the perspective change. I went in thinking it was going to be an Amnesia-style jump scare-athon, shamelessly appealing to the Youtube/Twitch let’s play crowd, but it was so much more! It doesn’t quite stick the landing, losing steam towards the end, and I wish there was more enemy variety, but overall I was pleasantly surprised.
  6. Nier Automata - What a nutso game! While the lackluster PC port still hasn’t received any support since launch, and gameplay-wise it’s a little disappointing for a Platinum-developed game, I still appreciated Automata for its novel use of mechanics for presentation purposes. The color palette isn’t particularly exciting, but like a classic RPG, the fantastic worldbuilding made me forget the bland visuals early on in my adventure. While so many games end in whimper, this game concludes with the most satisfying and completely earned ending ever!

My list is short because I haven’t had as much time for gaming as I have in years past. That said, my GOTY is Horizon: Zero Dawn. A quality effort from top to bottom, and lots of fun to play.

I just started playing Xcom War of the Chosen this week. (Dumb idea to do if your Xmas shopping is not done) It is hands down my favorite game of the year.

The Chosen are my favorite boss villain in a long time, and it is rare game that creates tension at both the tactical and strategic level.

Good but not great
Bomber Crew
Afghanistan 2011
Hearts of Iron IV expansion Death before Dishonor. (The overall game is great but this expansion wasn’t)

I like RPGs and I like Japan, but JRPGs have always left me totally cold. The aesthetic completely turns me off.

EG’s list is underway:

I don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned, and tbh I’m not sure if it was this year or last, but the Age of Decadence really is something interesting and different, and that’s just the demo.

I was doing very well until a choice i’d made an hr before (of playtime) without thinking came back to screw me.